Page 8 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Any fans of "Diabolique"?

Maybe not one of the true greats, but what an ending!
    A true great in my book. FAN-tastic!

Anyone here familiar with "Dead of Night" (1945)?

D: Cavalcanti, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Charles Crichton. Mervyn Johns, Roland Culver, Antony Baird, Judy Kelly, Miles Malleson, Sally Ann Howes, Googie Withers, Ralph Michael, Michael Redgrave, Basil Radford, Naunton Wayne, Frederick Valk. Classic chiller of gathering at a country house, where guests trade supernatural stories. One of them (Johns) has been having a nightmare that now seems to be coming true; final sequence with Redgrave as a schizophrenic ventriloquist is a knockout.

TCM gives it four stars, although I've never seen it. It's on tomorrow night and I might just have to check it out.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Actually I've seen it a few times, usually during TCM's run of horror movies in October. In some ways it's brilliant in others it's either totally bonkers or just hasn't aged well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Lady Vanishes (1938)
    The Spiral Staircase (1946) another great movie based on a Ethel Lina White novel

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

The General (1926) initially, this Keaton classic failed at the box office and with critics alike but is now considered as one of the greatest films ever and with good reason. the Blu-ray is magnificent!

Adam's Rib (1949)
    The Third Man (1949/50)

The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) Ford weaves a web of deception aound Lincoln's assassination in this master class of supreme film making.

The Hurricane (1937) the climax alone overcomes any shortfalls in the story itself. wind and skin...epic!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    The General (1926) initially, this Keaton classic failed at the box office and with critics alike but is now considered as one of the greatest films ever and with good reason. the Blu-ray is magnificent!
    The last truly great comedy of the silent era. That scene where they blow up the bridge with the train on it is awesome. That's good, because there was no second take to be made.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The last truly great comedy of the silent era. That scene where they blow up the bridge with the train on it is awesome. That's good, because there was no second take to be made.
    one take indeed and he could have easily been killed...remarkable!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    Lately, I've been borrowing from the library consortium as many Keaton/Arbuckle movies as I can find. Wow! Were those two funny together. Most were made around 1917-1919.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yep, it's tragic what happened to Arbuckle because of that fake rape accusation. Even though the courts went out of their way to exonerate him after three (!!) trials, his career was ruined.

So many of my absolute favorites already mentioned (Inherit the Wind, Dr Strangelove, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Third Man...) So I had to think of some B&Ws not mentioned that I really like....
    Pi (1998)
    The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)
    Shadows and Fog (1992)
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    So I had to think of some B&Ws not mentioned that I really like....
    Pi (1998)

I mentioned it on the previous page....Still, I find it surprising that only the two of us mentioned it in 8 pages

All of my favourites have been mentioned, apart from these two crackers:

Night of the Demon (1957)
    Carnival of Souls (1962)
    Tu veux un camembert?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I mentioned it on the previous page....Still, I find it surprising that only the two of us mentioned it in 8 pages
    For some reason it didn't occur to me to mention latter day B&W movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)
    Shame on me for not mentioning this! Probably my #1 comedy film from the past 20 years! Larry Blamire and his ensemble do a great job sending up the cheap drive-in sci-fi of yesteryear. Andrew Parks in particular nails his part as the alien Kro-Bar.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Boris Karloff night on TCM this Friday beginning with "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein." Movies also include "The Mummy," "The Black Cat," "The Body Snatcher," "Isle of the Dead" and "Bedlam."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Boris Karloff night on TCM this Friday beginning with "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein." Movies also include "The Mummy," "The Black Cat," "The Body Snatcher," "Isle of the Dead" and "Bedlam."
    Cool! But I missed it!

Hopefully the link to a list of the top 100 BW films. Not my choices but a good list.
    http://http://www.msn.com/en-us/movi...z&ocid=DELLDHP

I'm sure it's a good list, but it's also click bait.

Gene Wilder tribute on TCM tonight.

Strangers On A Train
    The Third Man
    The Lady Vanishes
    The 39 Steps

(Yeah, I know they're all Hitchcock...)
    The Prog Corner

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Strangers On A Train
    The Third Man
    The Lady Vanishes
    The 39 Steps

(Yeah, I know they're all Hitchcock...)
    It's a good list.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm sure it's a good list, but it's also click bait.

Gene Wilder tribute on TCM tonight.
    Whats click bait?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's a good list.
    Even if it excludes "Psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Whats click bait?
    Those dumb-ass slide shows that make you click to see each one in the list. They do that to increase their search engine rankings. The more clicks, the higher you rank, the more you can charge for advertising.

Even if it excludes "Psycho."

Those dumb-ass slide shows that make you click to see each one in the list. They do that to increase their search engine rankings. The more clicks, the higher you rank, the more you can charge for advertising.
    Ah, wasn't aware. I was thinking he meant some kind of malevolent purpose in play. Actually the slides weren't , they ina total waste this time as they included the imbd and Rotten Tomato ratings too. I added a few titles I'de like to check out.

Young Frankenstein
    In The Heat Of The Night
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

TCM kicks off October in high form Sunday night with "Frankenstein," "The Bride of Frankenstein" and "Son of Frankenstein." The third one (which is actually quite good in its own right) has Lugosi in one of his greatest roles as Ygor. That was the introduction of the Ygor (often misspelled as Egor or Igor) character. As many surely know here, the original lab assistant was Fritz, played by the incomparable Dwight Frye.