Page 88 of 160 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

My mom is a big Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power fan. She says the young girls would scream. Did young boys ever scream when a certain woman was on screen?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Did young boys ever scream when a certain woman was on screen?
    Margaret Hamilton? Yes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I might have made some sort of guttural moan when Michelle Pfeiffer slid across the piano in Fabulous Baker Boys
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I might have made some sort of guttural moan when Michelle Pfeiffer slid across the piano in Fabulous Baker Boys
    Same for me with Genevieve Bujold in King Of Hearts, but it was probably more like "homina, homina..."

I used to scream like a young girl at a Beatles concert when Anne Francis walked on but later, I got a lobster bib.

The first female I saw in a movie that I was ever smitten with was Daphne Zuniga in The Sure Thing. I paid to see that movie a second time just to see her again.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hal, Ron. Any B&W film to hold our attention this weekend?

Well, if you like Fred Astaire, TCM is running his movies all night tonight.

Dustin Hoffman featured on Sunday, even thought none are B&W.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Hoffman? Are they running, All the Presidents Men? Quite some time back, I rather liked this film but it's been years since I've seen it. Wonder if it would still hold up? But, he's never really been an actor I would just stop and watch. Not to say he's not been a good actor just a flat reaction.

Hoffman? Are they running, All the Presidents Men? Quite some time back, I rather liked this film but it's been years since I've seen it. Wonder if it would still hold up? But, he's never really been an actor I would just stop and watch. Not to say he's not been a good actor just a flat reaction.
    http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.ht...ate=2019-08-25

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    All The Presidents Men holds up very well, watched it again earlier this year, great movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hal, Ron. Any B&W film to hold our attention this weekend?
    Top Hat is on tonight at 8! I've never seen it and it's considered one of the two or three best Fred Adstaire/Ginger Rogers movies. I may have to watch it.

And Swing Time follows at 10.

Tomorrow at 1:30p is The Trouble With Harry!! I encourage everyone who hasn't seen it to watch or record it. I don't think anyone would ever say it's one of Hitchcock's best but I'd put it top ten. It's really enjoyable. A young Shirley MacLaine is really good in it (not to mention really cute) and 6 year old Jerry Mathers is funny and downright adorable. It also stars John Forsythe, Edmund Gwenn, and Mildred Natwick. It's a dark comedy that revolves around a corpse that the actors all think they're responsible for. It doesn't exactly provide many laughs but is still amusing. It's also the first Hitch movie with a Bernard Hermann score. And you're never going to see a more beautiful Technicolor movie! I hate to sound old fashioned or whatever but it's a delightful movie. That's the best description I can think of for it.

As for Sunday, this is a damn good schedule:

2:45 PM Papillon (1973)
    5:30 PM Tootsie (1982)
    8:00 PM The Graduate (1967)
    10:00 PM Marathon Man (1976)
    12:15 AM Midnight Cowboy (1969)
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Top Hat is on tonight at 8! I've never seen it and it's considered one of the two or three best Fred Adstaire/Ginger Rogers movies. I may have to watch it.

Tomorrow at 1:30p is The Trouble With Harry!! I encourage everyone who hasn't seen it to watch or record it. I don't think anyone would ever say it's one of Hitchcock's best but I'd put it top ten. It's really enjoyable. A young Shirley MacLaine is really good in it (not to mention really cute) and 6 year old Jerry Mathers is funny and downright adorable. It also stars John Forsythe, Edmund Gwenn, and Mildred Natwick. It's a dark comedy that revolves around a corpse that the actors all think they're responsible for. It doesn't exactly provide many laughs but is still amusing. It's also the first Hitch movie with a Bernard Hermann score. And you're never going to see a more beautiful Technicolor movie! I hate to sound old fashioned or whatever but it's a delightful movie. That's the best description I can think of for it.

I agree , its a beautiful example of the capability of Technicolor . And , delightful.

Tomorrow at 1:30p is The Trouble With Harry!!
    Oh, I missed that. I think I'll be doing yard work at that time. No, I know I will.

Assuming you can put up with the abundance of commercial breaks and worse-than-terrible humor, tonight on Me-TV they're playing "Straight Jacket" with Joan Crawford. While it's a B-movie from the twilight of her career, she is still quite good. And it has a pretty cool ending. Say what you want about Crawford as a human being; no matter the role, she always approached it with professionalism.

No Lenny?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    No Lenny?
    I haven't seen that movie in ages. Valerie Perrine (sp?) was sooo hot.

Assuming you can put up with the abundance of commercial breaks and worse-than-terrible humor, tonight on Me-TV they're playing "Straight Jacket" with Joan Crawford. While it's a B-movie from the twilight of her career, she is still quite good. And it has a pretty cool ending. Say what you want about Crawford as a human being; no matter the role, she always approached it with professionalism.
    Oh stop it Ron. We all know you fell Trog, was her greatest cinematic achievement. I remember the days when it took 3 hours to watch an hour and 30 minute film. Enough dog food and bowl commercials thank you.

Trouble With Harry was fun. I consider it a dark tong-in-cheek comedy. Hitch probably had a few laughs about this himself.

I watched "Marathon Man" for the first time (embarrassingly) last night. That was a good one. But, alas, it's not B&W, so I'm regretfully off-topic.

Oh stop it Ron. We all know you fell Trog, was her greatest cinematic achievement. I remember the days when it took 3 hours to watch an hour and 30 minute film. Enough dog food and bowl commercials thank you.
    I forgot all about "Trog."

I watched "Marathon Man" for the first time (embarrassingly) last night. That was a good one. But, alas, it's not B&W, so I'm regretfully off-topic.
    Is it safe?

Is it safe?
    Yes, it's safe.

No, it's not safe.

My wife watched it, not remembering we had seen it back in the day. I think I remember an anecdote that Hoffman went all method and had some dentist drill one of his teeth. He told Olivier about it and Sir Lawrence just said "Just try acting my boy, it's so much easier."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You can literally hear Sir Lawrence saying that, can't you?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.