Page 81 of 160 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The oft-mentioned "Marty" is on again tomorrow night on TCM at 8:00.
    Liked Ernie in, Jubal. Seemed like a really nice chap in interviews.
    The older I get, the better I was.

The oft-mentioned "Marty" is on again tomorrow night on TCM at 8:00.
    That's a great movie.
    " So what do you want to do?"
    That Mikey Spillane , some writer"

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    That's a great movie.
    " So what do you want to do?"
    That Mikey Spillane , some writer"
    It's one of those rare movies that I just have to watch. I guess I'm a softy after all.

I'd really like to get my 22-year-old daughter to watch it. I think she'd love it.

Some great quotes here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048356...ref_=tt_trv_qu

What really gets me is that Marty's aunt who moves into the house is, like, MY AGE. Yet, she's an old biddy.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It's one of those rare movies that I just have to watch. I guess I'm a softy after all.

I'd really like to get my 22-year-old daughter to watch it. I think she'd love it.

Some great quotes here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048356...ref_=tt_trv_qu

What really gets me is that Marty's aunt who moves into the house is, like, MY AGE. Yet, she's an old biddy.
    Can't see why women wouldn't like this film even though it's more from a man's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Can't see why women wouldn't like this film even though it's more from a man's perspective.
    I agree. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that my daughter is uninterested. She has a very open mind. I even got her to watch "Eraserhead." She still hasn't recovered.

I agree. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that my daughter is uninterested. She has a very open mind. I even got her to watch "Eraserhead." She still hasn't recovered.

The Devil Doll with Barrymore from early 30s is one of my favorites. A must see. You can stream it free on ok.ru

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    The Devil Doll with Barrymore from early 30s is one of my favorites. A must see. You can stream it free on ok.ru
    I don't think I've ever seen that one. I would LOVE to see TCM broadcast "Svengali." I have not seen that in many years. I have a copy on Betamax; that's how long it's been.

I was drawn in and snared by Marty last night on TCM. What a great movie.
    Another favorite early , and all favorite Borgnine's are early, is Bad Day At Black Rock.

I was drawn in and snared by Marty last night on TCM. What a great movie.
    Another favorite early , and all favorite Borgnine's are early, is Bad Day At Black Rock.
    Could talk about BDABR all day. Ann Francis is enough. BTW, saw her in Forbidden Planet, this weekend. BDABR is another star packed affair, you don't know which way to look. I always find Lee Marvin interesting. With everyone involved in this film, I thought the plot was pretty good. Just enough to set everyone on edge.

BTW, saw her in Forbidden Planet, this weekend.
    I actually watched more of that this weekend than I ever had. I think the acting is pretty lame, but, wow are those set designs cool!

I actually watched more of that this weekend than I ever had. I think the acting is pretty lame, but, wow are those set designs cool!
    Well, those uniforms have been used in other sci-fi films. I agree, the sets were really nice. Doesn't Leslie Nilsson surprise you? Started out as a leading man and look at what he finished as. Amazing. Have you seen any of the, Police Squad, episodes?

I liked Police Squad, at first. I thought it kind of got stale as it went along. The Zucker Bros/Abrahams team were fine for movies (Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane) but for a TV show, they couldn't maintain the quality, imo.

Regarding Bad Day at Black Rock, I saw it 25 years ago or thereabouts. I know it was and is well regarded but I didn't think it was that good. I don't know. Maybe I need to see it again.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I liked Police Squad, at first. I thought it kind of got stale as it went along. The Zucker Bros/Abrahams team were fine for movies (Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane) but for a TV show, they couldn't maintain the quality, imo.

Regarding Bad Day at Black Rock, I saw it 25 years ago or thereabouts. I know it was and is well regarded but I didn't think it was that good. I don't know. Maybe I need to see it again.
    Hit it again if you can Hal. A mystery, what's this town hiding, kind of thing. But with all those top shelf actors, they would be worth a second look. As for PS, maybe because it was tv, it couldn't really do what it wanted. Still liked it though.
    Last edited by Staun; 05-06-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Well, those uniforms have been used in other sci-fi films. I agree, the sets were really nice. Doesn't Leslie Nilsson surprise you? Started out as a leading man and look at what he finished as. Amazing. Have you seen any of the, Police Squad, episodes?
    I can't stand Leslie Neilson. A marginal talent.

Surely you cant be serious! And don't call me Shirly!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I would argue that Nielsen rarely got any decent roles. And if I may make a suggestion, watch the Barbra Streisand movie Nuts. Nielsen is very effective in it even tho the role is kinda small.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I would argue that Nielsen rarely got any decent roles. And if I may make a suggestion, watch the Barbra Streisand movie Nuts. Nielsen is very effective in it even tho the role is kinda small.
    I think his TV work was good along with those westerns. And of course you can't help but laugh at the Police Squad films. His dead pan is great. Wasn't he in a vampire film?

Airplane doesn't do anything for you?

Airplane doesn't do anything for you?
    It has its moments. Did it "do anything" for me? Not really.

Sorry, guys, Neilson does nothing for me. Did he get good roles? Perhaps not. Did he deserve them? Not IMHO.

It has its moments. Did it "do anything" for me? Not really.

Sorry, guys, Neilson does nothing for me. Did he get good roles? Perhaps not. Did he deserve them? Not IMHO.
    Well, I guess you have my Cary Grant illness.

Well, I guess you have my Cary Grant illness.
    Please do not use Cary Grant and Leslie Nielson in the same sentence.

Cary Grant could act circles around Leslie Neilson.

So, THERE!!!