Page 7 of 160 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Actually it is "Godard", not "Goddard", but else I agree. A very famous b/w movie of his is "À bout de souffle" ("Out of Breath") starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg.

Fassbinder did b/w movies; "Katzelmacher" from 1969 for example.
    Last edited by BaldFriede; 06-20-2016 at 06:06 AM.

Take your pick from any Laurel & Hardy film!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Take your pick from any Laurel & Hardy film!
    I'll take films from Victor Charlie Chaplin instead

Or Buster Keaton.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Tokyo Story
    AU Hasard Balthazar
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Or Buster Keaton.
    Or Harold Lloyd.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or Harold Lloyd.

I was just going to mention him.

Though I probably saw some of his movies as a kid, I cannot really remember them and so the recent blu ray releases (Speedy and Safety First) were essential purchases for me.

Love Speedy, some great, inventive comedy routines and bits of business, and wild stunts with a horse-drawn carriage charging through the streets of 1920's New York (well...LA mostly doubling for NY as it was a more film-friendly town than NY).

Safety First is very good, and has the now very famous sequence of Lloyd climbing the building and hanging off the clock tower. Loses a bit of the impact when you see how it was done (actually a very simple illusion), but still great to watch.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Goddard, Truffault, Fellini (and the rest of the Italians), Fassbinder, Louis Malle (ascensceur pour l'échaffaud, for ex), Jacques Tati, Luis Bunuel, Ingmar Bergman, Gilles Grangier and quite a few others

edit: not sure whether Fassbinder did many B&W movies, though.
    He did Veronika Voss at least - a great one!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He did Veronika Voss at least - a great one!
    I especially like "Welt am Draht" ("World on a Wire"), a TV-movie in two pats and his only Science fiction film.

Here a scene from this movie; mark the strange behaviour of the man:
    Last edited by BaldFriede; 06-24-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Or Buster Keaton.
    Na, maybe a Marx Brothers film!

Hud
    The Hustler
    The older I get, the better I was.

"Witness for the Prosecution" and "Some Like It Hot" are back-to-back on TCM tonight at 8pm EST.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"Witness for the Prosecution" and "Some Like It Hot" are back-to-back on TCM tonight at 8pm EST.
    DVR is set!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Forgot about TCM! Do they have commercial breaks during movies?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Forgot about TCM! Do they have commercial breaks during movies?
    Never did, never will.

"Witness for the Prosecution"
    I fell asleep for about 5 minutes at the end. Auuggghh! I missed Dietrich's explanation how her husband beat the rap.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Last Picture Show
    Elephant Man
    Dr. Strangelove
    The Third Man

Young Frankenstein.

I went through the whole thread, but I didnt see anybody mentionof "Pi" yet (please correct me if you did)....this is not only one of my all-time favorite movies, but its B&W to boot and - if not the best - certainly one of them:

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    I especially like "Welt am Draht" ("World on a Wire"), a TV-movie in two pats and his only Science fiction film.
    I finally saw that after years of wanting to. His foray into science fiction is pretty interesting, even if dated by today’s standards. If you’ve seen The Final Programme, based on some Michael Moorcock, you’ll know what to expect here. Dated but stylishly dated!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I finally saw that after years of wanting to. His foray into science fiction is pretty interesting, even if dated by today’s standards. If you’ve seen The Final Programme, based on some Michael Moorcock, you’ll know what to expect here. Dated but stylishly dated!
    I don't know what exactly you mean by "dated". Too slow-paced? Too little action? The topic is no longer of interest? Not enough FX?

If you mean "too slow-paced": I enjoy slow-paced movies a lot more than fast-paced ones because they usually have more depth.

If you mean "too little action": Action is to movies what to much sauce is to a fish dish. In the fish dish the sauce is there to cover the bad fish, in a movie the is to cover the bad movie.

If you mean "the topic is no longer of interest": I think with all the progress in computer technology the topic is of the utmost interest today.

If you mean "Not enough FX": FX are gimmicks and not really needed for storytelling. But there are actually a lot of FX in that movie, but very subtly used. The movie is full of mirror images, even down to the behaviour of people, like two people swiveling in their chairs or a person appearing in "real life" and on screen at the same time.

So all in all I don't consider the movie to be dated at all. It is still as up to date as it was forty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    I don't know what exactly you mean by "dated". Too slow-paced? Too little action? The topic is no longer of interest? Not enough FX?
    By “dated” I meant the technology and style. It had a very 70s style (oh, those Marimekko prints!) and as for the technology, it reminded me of that John Brunner book (was it Shockwave Rider?) which kind of predicted the internet, but everyone’s still using corded, dial telephones and dot-matrix printer readouts.

I was not bashing it, just making an observation, so your rant was completely unnecessary. The retro style and “vision of the future from the past” are all part of the film’s charm.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

if it's not the Blackboard Jungle, Public Enemy, Double Indemnity, or the original Cape Fear, I'm going home. oh, wait. I am at home. Of Island of Lost Souls, the Misfits, Psycho, or To Kill a Mockingbird or ...

The Shock with Lon Chaney.
    "Ella Cinders" and "Sky Pilot" with Colleen Moore.
    Tramp, Tramp, Tramp and The Strong Man with Harry Langdon.

All are on Youtube.

Twelve O'clock High and all The Three Stooges stuff.

Debbie does the Harlem Globetrotters.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!