Page 79 of 160 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Just saw The Appartment again after about 35/40 years. Still a very enjoyable tragically comedy.
    It was funny though that while watching Jack Lemmon's acting style I had to think of Phil Collins' stage performance with Genesis during the 80's. The same mimick, the way he turns his head, the same use of smiles etc.; Phil must have been a Lemmon-fan

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just saw The Appartment again after about 35/40 years. Still a very enjoyable tragically comedy.
    It was funny though that while watching Jack Lemmon's acting style I had to think of Phil Collins' stage performance with Genesis during the 80's. The same mimick, the way he turns his head, the same use of smiles etc.; Phil must have been a Lemmon-fan

Great film but Jack in, The Out Of Towners, does it for me.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Jack Lemmon, IMO, is a top ten actor. He can play any role.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Jack Lemmon, IMO, is a top ten actor. He can play any role.
    I agree, the man had a vast range. Did you like him in, Cowboy, with Glenn Ford? A little different for him but talk about a nice guy taking on a load of nasty, he was great.

I think my favorite Lemmon role was in Glengarry Glen Ross, followed closely by The Odd Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I agree, the man had a vast range. Did you like him in, Cowboy, with Glenn Ford? A little different for him but talk about a nice guy taking on a load of nasty, he was great.
    I don't think I've ever seen it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

On TCM from time to time.

He's working in a hotel but his dream is to go on a cattle drive. Ford is trail boss and brings his crew and cows to town and Jack finally joins up. They try to show him how hard life is pushing cattle but it turns out he learns the lesson too well. He become more hard and determined than they are. As I said, it's a little different for him but I think it's pretty good. I like seeing actors doing things off character.

Night of the Hunter (1955) with Robert Mitchum, is on TCM Saturday night at 10:15.

Night of the Hunter (1955) with Robert Mitchum, is on TCM Saturday night at 10:15.
    Top 10 for me. A great movie and Charles Laughton's only one that he directed. Also stars Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Robert Mitchum has always been interesting to me in that he seems to fall in between the good guy bad guy mold. Cape Fear, speaks for itself but films like, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison and The Enemy Below shows a more human side. But, I think he would have made a really good pure bad guy. He's got the look and the voice. Always like seeing Shelley Winters.

Plus, he smoked dope.

Robert Mitchum has always been interesting to me in that he seems to fall in between the good guy bad guy mold. Cape Fear, speaks for itself but films like, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison and The Enemy Below shows a more human side. But, I think he would have made a really good pure bad guy. He's got the look and the voice. Always like seeing Shelley Winters.
    Well, then, if you've never seen Night of the Hunter, do so. He's very much a bad guy in it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Killers (1946)
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Well, then, if you've never seen Night of the Hunter, do so. He's very much a bad guy in it.
    IMO , badder in Night Of The Hunter than in Cape Fear. Evil is worse than sadistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I'm sorry, what I meant was, I have seen it but I was just trying to settle him in the good guy bad guy way of things and which he might be better at looking back over his carrier. No doubt in NOTH, he is certainly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    IMO , badder in Night Of The Hunter than in Cape Fear. Evil is worse than sadistic.
    I think he is both bad and evil in CF but still a good point.

I can't remember if this was posted before or not; apologies if it has: Oscar best picture winners ranked from worst to best. This ranking is based on scores from RottenTomatoes.

If you'd rather not go through the whole thing, here are the best from 12th thru 1st:

Tied at 12th, with a score of 97:
    Godfather, Part II
    Annie Hall
    Schindler's List
    Spotlight
    The Hurt Locker
    Casablanca
    All the King's Men

Tied at 6th with a score of 98:
    It Happened One Night
    On the Waterfront
    The French Connection
    Moonlight
    The Godfather
    Lawrence of Arabia

Tied at 1st with a perfect score:
    Marty
    The Lost Weekend
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    All About Eve
    Rebecca

Of those I listed, the only ones I haven't seen are Moonlight and The Lost Weekend.

I should point out that 58 movies scored at least 90. That's a lot of good movies.

Three scored below 60: Cimarron (scored 50), The Greatest Show On Earth (44), and The Broadway Melody (35). I think TGSoE is much better than that; at least, better than Around the World in 80 Days, which scored a 72.

Dr. Strangelove is on Friday on TCM, along with some other Peter Sellers movies.

Watched 99 River Street on TCM this morning. Its a quick dirty little noir flic. Stars John Payne and Evelyn Keyes. Payne was Maureen O Hara's love interest in Miracle on 34th St. This is not anything close to MO34S. Its a violent fast paced crime pic . Payne produced this one along with a few others as his Hollywood demand wained. The year before this one he made Kansas City Confidential , discussed here a while ago. This is a similar plot , an innocent man trying to prove it. Payne played an excellent tough guy. His films were not on A picture production levels , but never the less are well made and engaging. This is a winner.

I watched "Night of the Hunter" for the first time last night. I enjoyed it, but found Laughton's direction to be a bit uneven, although visually striking. There was just something about that movie that seemed to be missing. I don't recall much of a soundtrack. Maybe that was it. Don't get me wrong. Mitchum was really good, as was Lilian Gish.

Maybe it was because I saw it after watching two hours of the 2017 Twin Peaks series.

I watched "Night of the Hunter" for the first time last night. I enjoyed it, but found Laughton's direction to be a bit uneven, although visually striking. There was just something about that movie that seemed to be missing. I don't recall much of a soundtrack. Maybe that was it. Don't get me wrong. Mitchum was really good, as was Lilian Gish.

Maybe it was because I saw it after watching two hours of the 2017 Twin Peaks series.
    I think Mitchum and George C. Scott in, The Flim Flam Man, had a little in common here. I'm confused about Twin Peaks. What years were the original series and is this updated series just as good? I've seen neither.

The original twin Peaks series began in 1990 and was cancelled before David Lynch got to finish it. It had already been problematic because the networks forced Lynch to solve Laura Palmer's murder, which he never intended. The series was super cool, IMO. Shortly after that, the movie "Fire: Walk with Me," which was also very good, served as a prequel and attempted to close some holes. One of the lines from the original series was Laura's spirit saying to a main character, "I'll see you in 25 years," or something to that effect. So, the Showtime series (which was not a continuation) was launched in 2017.

There's an entire thread on the new series and I understand it gets really weird. We're only six episodes in and, while it is certainly what one would expect from Lynch, we're not far enough into it for the pieces to start fitting together. In light of that, I cannot say if I think it holds up well alongside the original series and movie.

TCM has a couple this weekend. One of my favorites, Sweet Smell of Success. I think Peter Sellers is on tonight in, "that movie".

TCM has a couple this weekend. One of my favorites, Sweet Smell of Success. I think Peter Sellers is on tonight in, "that movie".
    I was just going to offer a reminder. Sellers all night, in fact.

Plus, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" tomorrow night and "It Happened One Night" on Sunday at midnight.