Page 76 of 160 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This is what happens when your library is in West Bumfuck.
    Have you tried moving to East Bumfuck?

Seriously, tho, I don't know what part of ND you're in, but you could try to get a membership at a library in one of the larger cities like Bismark or Fargo.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I just noticed that Frederic March is the artist of the month on TCM. Every Tuesday.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...-in-March.html
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Have you tried moving to East Bumfuck?

Seriously, tho, I don't know what part of ND you're in, but you could try to get a membership at a library in one of the larger cities like Bismark or Fargo.
    Long way from either of those two - you have to be in the same county at least to pull it off. I'm trying again through the State Library - maybe that'll work.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just saw a picture of Lou Gehrig. I never knew how much he looked like Gary Cooper.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Alright, so I watched Last Year at Marienbad earlier today. This movie is even stranger than I remembered it. Some of the things I'd forgotten was the bizarre organ soundtrack, the same dialogue (or a variation of it) practically runs through the whole movie, and that it gets even weirder in the third act.

I suspected the first time I saw it that it's allegorical. Of what I didn't know. I still think it might be allegorical but still have no fucking clue as to what. lol

So, if you like art house movies, I'd say see it, if only once. It's almost like a rite of passage. Otherwise, you're going to be left thinking it's an esoteric and pretentious French mindfuck. Indeed, if you've ever seen a parody of a French art house movie, that's exactly what this is like.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just noticed that Frederic March is the artist of the month on TCM. Every Tuesday.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...-in-March.html
    He was great in, Hombre. Of course everyone knows him from, Inherit The Wind.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I just saw a picture of Lou Gehrig. I never knew how much he looked like Gary Cooper.

Now stop it, this minute.

Young Frankenstein, Village of the Damned and High Sierra are a few of the goodies on TCM this weekend.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Young Frankenstein, Village of the Damned and High Sierra are a few of the goodies on TCM this weekend.
    Tonight, not only do they have Young Frankenstein, but also Simon (with Alan Arkin - I'd pretty much forgotten about that movie; not sure I'd call it a classic) and What's Up Doc. Not really a classic either. But an interesting trio of movies for them to have in one night.

Saw What's Up Doc? when it came out. Love that movie.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Saw What's Up Doc? when it came out. Love that movie.
    It might be better than I remember.

I saw Whats Up Doc in Radio City Music Hall when I was a kid. Recently saw it again , its good.

Westerns on tonight on TCM.

Broken Arrow (1950) James Stewart. I don't think I've ever seen this.

For Apache (1948) John Wayne, Henry Fonda

Maltin gives them each three stars.

Fort Apache is B&W, so we're still on-topic.

Bogey at midnight in High Sierra (1941)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Westerns on tonight on TCM.

Broken Arrow (1950) James Stewart. I don't think I've ever seen this.

For Apache (1948) John Wayne, Henry Fonda

Maltin gives them each three stars.

Fort Apache is B&W, so we're still on-topic.

Bogey at midnight in High Sierra (1941)
    No harm done, we do go off the reservation at times. Fort Apeche is one of the all time greats and Broken Arrow is one of the top Stewart westerns. For the record, at the moment, I'm watching, The Eiger Sanction.

For the record, at the moment, I'm watching, The Eiger Sanction.
    An underrated Eastwood movie, imo.

I watched "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" last night. I really knew only the older Jimmy Stewart from his TV appearances like on Carson and the Dean Martin roasts etc. "Mr. Smith" and "Vertigo" which I had seen for the first time only a few weeks ago really revealed to me what a great actor he was. Although the story in "Mr. Smith" seemed a little hackneyed to me, Stewart and the remarkable Claude Raines are just so good. I'm a little angry with myself that at 62 I'm just now exploring all these great films of the 30's-60's.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I watched "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" last night. I really knew only the older Jimmy Stewart from his TV appearances like on Carson and the Dean Martin roasts etc. "Mr. Smith" and "Vertigo" which I had seen for the first time only a few weeks ago really revealed to me what a great actor he was. Although the story in "Mr. Smith" seemed a little hackneyed to me, Stewart and the remarkable Claude Raines are just so good. I'm a little angry with myself that at 62 I'm just now exploring all these great films of the 30's-60's.
    Well, then, you need to see Harvey, The Philadelphia Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Anatomy of a Murder and Rear Window, imo Stewart's best movies. Some other really good ones: You Can't Take it With You, Rope, The Greatest Show on Earth (altho, he's not exactly the star in it), No Highway in the Sky (which, believe it or not, may be the first time you'll hear or see the phrase "old school" ever used), The Glen Miller Story, Bell, Book and Candle, and Flight of the Phoenix.

I know my dad & brother were fans of his westerns but I never really bought into him as a cowboy. YMMV. It is generally accepted that Destry Rides Again, Winchester '73 and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are his best westerns.

His best roles, imo, are in Harvey and The Philadelphia Story. In fact, Harvey is in my top ten and was Stewart's favorite movie.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    If you have not yet seen Its A Wonderful Life , treat yourself. Also all five of the Anthony Mann / Stewwart westerns , Winchester 73 , Man From Laramie , Bend In The River , The Naked Spur , The Far Country. The best of those 5 IMO are The Naked Spur , and Bend In The River.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    If you have not yet seen Its A Wonderful Life , treat yourself. Also all five of the Anthony Mann / Stewwart westerns , Winchester 73 , Man From Laramie , Bend In The River , The Naked Spur , The Far Country. The best of those 5 IMO are The Naked Spur , and Bend In The River.
    Great films from Stewart. Never cared much for, The Naked Spur. But, The Man from Laramie, Bend in the River and Winchester 73 are classic. Hal isn't convinced by Stewart in westerns but I think some of his even rival Wayne's.

An underrated Eastwood movie, imo.
    I think it's one of the three from his own production company along with, The Beguiled and The Gauntlet. I thought the Gauntlet was wild, over the top and fun.

Hal isn't convinced by Stewart in westerns but I think some of his even rival Wayne's.
    That's not saying much, IMHO. Wayne was pretty one-dimensional.

^

That's not saying much, IMHO. Wayne was pretty one-dimensional.
    Really?
    Stage Coach
    Red River
    Hondo
    The Searchers
    Rio Bravo
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    The Sons Of Katie Elder
    The War Wagon
    True Grit
    The Shootist
    That's just the westerns of note.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Really?
    Stage Coach
    Red River
    Hondo
    The Searchers
    Rio Bravo
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    The Sons Of Katie Elder
    The War Wagon
    True Grit
    The Shootist
    That's just the westerns of note.
    Well, I was referring to only his westerns. And I'm referring more about his demeanor than specific roles. He stuck to his schtick pretty well, for the most part.

Well, I was referring to only his westerns. And I'm referring more about his demeanor than specific roles. He stuck to his schtick pretty well, for the most part.
    Well, I gotta admit partner, there's some mighty good Wayne in them there titles.