Page 73 of 160 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Grant No: 2? Amazing. I don't know if he would even make my list.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I meant more than 1 submarine pictures . As far as more than 1 movie that "wasn't that bad" , definitely . And that would be the general consenses amoung most who know movies .

As far as star power, I can see Grant at or near the top. I love his work. But, I would put Barrymore and several others ahead of him as actors. In fact, one I'd put right up there, Charles Laughton, is on TCM tonight in his magnificent portrayal of Henry VIII.

I also just noticed that "12 Angry Men" is on right now.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Gentleman Gentleman, I totally understand what your saying and you won't let me leave the table until I eat my vegatables. I just don't like vegetables
    If you don't eat your vegetables, you can't have any pudding.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your vegetables?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Is it any good?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Is it any good?
    Too much dialog. Not enough action.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Too much dialog. Not enough action.
    Bummer.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

No CGI. Its crap.

Second-rate casting, too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not even a car chase or shoot out. The aliens were practically nonexistent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If you don't eat your vegetables, you can't have any pudding.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your vegetables?

Is it any good?
    Touché, damn it. Meh. Just an old film with no cgi, no body counts. You know, they were so cheap they had to shoot it in only one room. A bunch of old guys you never heard of. I hope you didn't waste your time.

As far as star power, I can see Grant at or near the top. I love his work. But, I would put Barrymore and several others ahead of him as actors. In fact, one I'd put right up there, Charles Laughton, is on TCM tonight in his magnificent portrayal of Henry VIII.

And right after on another channel, another loser, The invisible Man.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not even a car chase or shoot out. The aliens were practically nonexistent.
    And they expected this thing to be worth seeing? Ha!

Luv period films.

No nudity in 12 Angry Men either though that's probably just as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    No nudity in 12 Angry Men either though that's probably just as well.
    Yeah, this could certainly give rise to some sort of gang activity.

Too much anger, too. Couldn't they just get along and play nicely? Or at least 12 mildly perturbed men?

Glad I didn't waste my time, then.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    TCM has "Day of the Dolphin" on late tonight! I think they're stretching the definition of classic, plus they've classified it as "Horror." Nevertheless, I'm recording it because I don't think I've seen it since the theatrical debut. George C. Scott has a pretty varied filmography, doesn't he?

EDIT: The screenplay was written by Buck Henry, and the movie was directed by Mike Nichols. Could there have been a movie with more randomly mismatched credits? What were they snorting?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-21-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    TCM has "Day of the Dolphin" on late tonight! I think they're stretching the definition of classic, plus they've classified it as "Horror." Nevertheless, I'm recording it because I don't think I've seen it since the theatrical debut. George C. Scott has a pretty varied filmography, doesn't he?
    Fa loves Pa

EDIT: The screenplay was written by Buck Henry, and the movie was directed by Mike Nichols. Could there have been a movie with more randomly mismatched credits? What were they snorting?
    Buck Henry strikes me. TCM will slide in a ringer once in a while.

You seem to forget Henry wrote the screenplay for The Graduate, which was directed by Nichols.

I haven't seen DotD since probably the late 70s. I liked it. The thing I remember most about it, tho, is:

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Fa loves Pa
    IIRC, didn't Scott's character have some sort of contract with the Navy? And at the end he has to sacrifice his dolphins? Man, that killed me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You seem to forget Henry wrote the screenplay for The Graduate, which was directed by Nichols.

I haven't seen DotD since probably the late 70s. I liked it. The thing I remember most about it, tho, is:

IIRC, didn't Scott's character have some sort of contract with the Navy? And at the end he has to sacrifice his dolphins? Man, that killed me.
    Yeah, I just thought the Buck Henry/Nichols involvement was weird since the movie is pretty much humorless. Maybe it was supposed to be satire but fell flat?

George C. Scott is one of the true giants of film.

Yeah, I just thought the Buck Henry/Nichols involvement was weird since the movie is pretty much humorless. Maybe it was supposed to be satire but fell flat?
    I wondered if that's what you meant. But, no, I don't think it was intended to be satire. And now that you bring it to my attention, it does seem weird because I think Henry was mostly a satirist. I've always thought Catch-22 was brilliant.

George C. Scott is one of the true giants of film.
    Anatomy of a Murder, The Hustler, doesn't get much better. I've watched Patton many times but I think I would have rather seem him in, Battle of the Bulge. Star packed, the action scenes, he and Fonda would have been great together. But just as a war film, BOTB is superior. Now this man has presence.