Page 71 of 160 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That being said (written), I rarely, if ever, watch love stories.
    I should clarify. I'll watch certain actors no matter the genre. My favorite movie is just as much a love story as action movie.

I never hesitate to put on a Bette Davis or Joan Crawford love story. "Now Voyager" was on recently (although I didn't watch it). Davis is just so damned good in everything she played. I see "All about Eve" was also just on, too. Another magnificent performance.

Crawford may have been a terrible human being, but there's a certain authenticity in each of her roles. Even in the B-movies she suffered through during her later years (Davis, too, for that matter). She always brought dignity and humanity to every performance.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I should clarify. I'll watch certain actors no matter the genre. My favorite movie is just as much a love story as action movie.

I never hesitate to put on a Bette Davis or Joan Crawford love story. "Now Voyager" was on recently (although I didn't watch it). Davis is just so damned good in everything she played. I see "All about Eve" was also just on, too. Another magnificent performance.

Crawford may have been a terrible human being, but there's a certain authenticity in each of her roles. Even in the B-movies she suffered through during her later years (Davis, too, for that matter). She always brought dignity and humanity to every performance.
    Bette Davis? A love Story? I think her idea of a love story is the film, The Letter. In the opening scene, she's pumping six shots into this poor defenseless lonely guy. Even gave him a couple in the back. I don't know what was smoking more, her or the gun. Seriously though, I agree with everything you said here. But I wonder, do you consider, AAE a love story? Actually, it's hard for me to think of the two of them as part of a love story. They are just so hard and ridged.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Bette Davis? A love Story? I think her idea of a love story is the film, The Letter. In the opening scene, she's pumping six shots into this poor defenseless lonely guy. Even gave him a couple in the back. I don't know what was smoking more, her or the gun. Seriously though, I agree with everything you said here. But I wonder, do you consider, AAE a love story? Actually, it's hard for me to think of the two of them as part of a love story. They are just so hard and ridged.
    No, I don't consider AAE a love story. I just used it as another example of her stellar acting.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Kate Hepburn movies starting right now on TCM.

"The Philadelphia Story" with Cary Grant and James Stewart is just starting.

While it's off-topic (not B&W), any fans here of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"? I tend to watch it just about every time it's on, like I will this Saturday night on TCM.

While it's off-topic (not B&W), any fans here of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"? I tend to watch it just about every time it's on, like I will this Saturday night on TCM.
    Its unda da big W.
    My favorite is Dick Shawn's beatnicky moma's boy; "You're really buggin me man"
    Its a fantastic movie.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Its unda da big W.
    My favorite is Dick Shawn's beatnicky moma's boy; "You're really buggin me man"
    Its a fantastic movie.
    The one who makes me laugh the most is Ethel Merman. She's the typical mother-in-law. I also like Jack Benny's cameo. But, seriously, what's not to like about that movie?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The one who makes me laugh the most is Ethel Merman. She's the typical mother-in-law. I also like Jack Benny's cameo. But, seriously, what's not to like about that movie?
    I haven't seen this movie in a long time! I'm worried it won't hold up for me, but now I think I have to give it a chance, so I'm going to record it.

BTW, last week TCM had an interesting day where they showed a bunch of George Pal movies. One I'd never seen but always meant to was The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao. So I finally saw it. Some interesting parts, some freaky parts, some hokey parts. I'm glad I finally got to see it. That talking snake was the freakiest part, also Medusa, and Pan. Was Pan actually Tony Randall? He moved around so fast and in the dark that it was hard to tell, but I guess it must have been.

Kate Hepburn movies starting right now on TCM.

"The Philadelphia Story" with Cary Grant and James Stewart is just starting.
    Kate? Meh. It's like she's always talking behind her teeth or something. I just don't see the appeal. I know she and spencer Tracy were hot for a while. Same for Grant. Just doesn't do much for me.

Yep, it's star packed.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I haven't seen this movie in a long time! I'm worried it won't hold up for me, but now I think I have to give it a chance, so I'm going to record it.

BTW, last week TCM had an interesting day where they showed a bunch of George Pal movies. One I'd never seen but always meant to was The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao. So I finally saw it. Some interesting parts, some freaky parts, some hokey parts. I'm glad I finally got to see it. That talking snake was the freakiest part, also Medusa, and Pan. Was Pan actually Tony Randall? He moved around so fast and in the dark that it was hard to tell, but I guess it must have been.
    Not familiar with George Pal. Guess I'm always behind. Talking snake?

What's the schedule look like this weekend? Gonna be cold here.

Merman & Shawn are great in it, but Phil Silvers is my favorite in that movie.

What's not to like? Given some of the greats in it, I've always felt it could have been funnier. Also, it's a really long movie; the original cut was 3½ hours! The premiere was 3 hours 12 minutes, the theatrical cut, 2 hours 41 minutes, and the restored cut is 3 hours 17 minutes.

Kate? Meh. It's like she's always talking behind her teeth or something. I just don't see the appeal. I know she and spencer Tracy were hot for a while. Same for Grant. Just doesn't do much for me.
    OMG, are you saying both Hepburn & Grant don't do much for you?

Wow. They're both two of my absolute favorites, altho I'm not as enamored with Kate as I once was.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Not familiar with George Pal.
    Yeah you are. You just don't know it. He was mostly a producer but also directed. He was big in sci-fi. Here's part of his filmography:

Destination Moon (1950) (producer)
    When Worlds Collide (1951) (producer)
    The War of the Worlds (1953) (producer)
    Houdini (1953) (producer)
    The Naked Jungle (1954) (producer)
    Tom Thumb (1958) (producer and director)
    The Time Machine (1960) (producer, director and "Morlock" designer)

George Pal on Wikipedia.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah you are. You just don't know it. He was mostly a producer but also directed. He was big in sci-fi. Here's part of his filmography:

George Pal on Wikipedia.
    Beaten to my knees and corrected.

Merman & Shawn are great in it, but Phil Silvers is my favorite in that movie.

What's not to like? Given some of the greats in it, I've always felt it could have been funnier. Also, it's a really long movie; the original cut was 3½ hours! The premiere was 3 hours 12 minutes, the theatrical cut, 2 hours 41 minutes, and the restored cut is 3 hours 17 minutes.

OMG, are you saying both Hepburn & Grant don't do much for you?

Wow. They're both two of my absolute favorites, altho I'm not as enamored with Kate as I once was.
    I know it's a sad thing to say about two well known stars such as these.

I think it holds up quite well.

Same for Grant. Just doesn't do much for me.
    My wife would probably want to smack you for that.

What's the schedule look like this weekend? Gonna be cold here.
    http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly....vmonthschedule

I'm not a huge Hepburn fan, but I think she's great in The African Queen. I don't really go for the Hepburn/Tracy films, and while I like Cary Grant I don't actually like Bringing Up Baby much. But there are probably some she's done that I haven't seen which I might like better.

George Pal on Wikipedia.
    He incorporated some nearly-Harryhausenesque elements into his films. Also a lot of trick photography that was effective at the time or if you were a kid when you saw them. Fun, colorful films.

They also aired The Thief of Bagdad (1940) which LOOKS like a George Pal movie but isn't.

My wife would probably want to smack you for that.
    And I would probably deserve it to.

He incorporated some nearly-Harryhausenesque elements into his films. Also a lot of trick photography that was effective at the time or if you were a kid when you saw them. Fun, colorful films.

They also aired The Thief of Bagdad (1940) which LOOKS like a George Pal movie but isn't.
    DM, WWC, TWW and TTM? Where the heck is my head today?

All The Kings Men, with Broderick Crawford. I like this one over, Sweet Smell of Success. Great, great film.

"Lifeboat" is on TCM tonight at 10:00.