Page 66 of 160 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes, that's the point - he did Ben-Hur, and also directed The Collector in the mid 60s.
    Senior moment on my part.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember back in the late 70s or early 80s there was a TV biopic about Abbot & Costello which at the time seemed ok, but was mostly about them arguing. That's kind of a boring formula. I'm more interested to see Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly as Holmes and Watson, which got terrible reviews but I'm a sucker for Holmes & Watson things of all stripes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Well, I wouldn't go see it in a theater - is that what you did? I can wait and pay $3 to rent it.

Any Sidney Poitier fans in the house? Watched, No Way Back, last night. Has anyone seen this, comments?
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well, I wouldn't go see it in a theater - is that what you did? I can wait and pay $3 to rent it.
    I wouldn't watch it all, even free, 9% on RT.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Any Sidney Poitier fans in the house? Watched, No Way Back, last night. Has anyone seen this, comments?
    I think he's one of the finest actors of his time. I have never seen that one, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think he's one of the finest actors of his time. I have never seen that one, though.
    Richard Widmark, who I think a great deal of, is in it. Sidney is a doctor treating Widmark and his brother who were bank robbers that got shot. The brother dies and Widmark blames Sidney. Well, you can just imagine what this turns into. The film has a low budget look and feel like , The Defiant Ones, but of course the acting is just great. You know, he won the award for, Lilies of the Field, but I liked, A Patch of Blue, better along with a couple of others. I certainly feel he should have won for, In the Heat of the Night. This is not to say that Rod Steiger should not have won because his performance was just as compelling. One film of his I would like to see is, The Lost Man. He married the female lead but I can't recall her name. Hal, if you please?

In The Heat Of The Night is one of my all time favorite movies. Sidney & Rod are just fantastic in that one.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In The Heat Of The Night is one of my all time favorite movies. Sidney & Rod are just fantastic in that one.
    I think a lot people feel the same way. The interplay between the two of them is magnetic. The supporting cast isn't bad either. Great character actors. I think you could find the film on some channel at least once a week.

Remember the scene where the chief was questioning Delores about Sam? As she was sitting in the chair, she certainly was making her points.

I remember back in the late 70s or early 80s there was a TV biopic about Abbot & Costello which at the time seemed ok, but was mostly about them arguing. That's kind of a boring formula. I'm more interested to see Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly as Holmes and Watson, which got terrible reviews but I'm a sucker for Holmes & Watson things of all stripes.
    I wouldn't watch it all, even free, 9% on RT.
    This is the best thing the NY Times review has to say about it: "there is still intermittent joy to be found in their autumnal bromance." But that and the Sherlock Holmes thing is enough to get me to shell out a few dollars to see it.

I think a lot people feel the same way. The interplay between the two of them is magnetic. The supporting cast isn't bad either. Great character actors. I think you could find the film on some channel at least once a week.
    Next TCM broadcast is Saturday, Feb 9 at 8:00 pm EST.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'd prefer to watch Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman in The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is the best thing the NY Times review has to say about it: "there is still intermittent joy to be found in their autumnal bromance." But that and the Sherlock Holmes thing is enough to get me to shell out a few dollars to see it.
    It's not Sherlock Holmes, its a shamockertraversy
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'd prefer to watch Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman in The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother.
    Oh, I saw that SO many times back in the day on HBO. I know it by heart.

It's not Sherlock Holmes, its a shamockertraversy
    Ok, I'll consider myself duly warned! I'm sure you're right actually, but I do occasionally enjoy a dumb comedy.

Ok, I'll consider myself duly warned! I'm sure you're right actually, but I do occasionally enjoy a dumb comedy.
    Oh I enjoy dumb comedy but Sherlock Holmes is sacred, not to be messed with IMHO. I hate the Robert Downey versions as well, Sherlock is not a bloody action hero.
    Ian

Oh I enjoy dumb comedy but Sherlock Holmes is sacred, not to be messed with IMHO. I hate the Robert Downey versions as well, Sherlock is not a bloody action hero.
    I actually didn't see the Downey movies because I heard they were bad. But if the idea is a send-up, I'm not averse to it. Have you ever heard the Firesign Theater album that parodies Sherlock Holmes? It's hilarious. I agree to some extent that Holmes is sacred, but at this point so many people have gotten in on the action that I'm flexible. But my favorite thing is just reading the stories and novels, and also the more serious film and TV adaptations (and I make an allowance for the bumbling Nigel Bruce because he's just fun). Also reading the more serious Holmesiana

I actually didn't see the Downey movies because I heard they were bad. But if the idea is a send-up, I'm not averse to it. Have you ever heard the Firesign Theater album that parodies Sherlock Holmes? It's hilarious. I agree to some extent that Holmes is sacred, but at this point so many people have gotten in on the action that I'm flexible. But my favorite thing is just reading the stories and novels, and also the more serious film and TV adaptations (and I make an allowance for the bumbling Nigel Bruce because he's just fun). Also reading the more serious Holmesiana
    I think the bumbling Watson is essential to Holmes. He's someone Holmes can explain his deductions to. Someone who will be amazed. Someone who will do some of the dirty work. I think you'll find most side kicks, are lesser in some way or fashion. At least I think they are built that way imho.

I think the bumbling Watson is essential to Holmes. He's someone Holmes can explain his deductions to. Someone who will be amazed. Someone who will do some of the dirty work. I think you'll find most side kicks, are lesser in some way or fashion. At least I think they are built that way imho.
    Lesser, yes, but Watson wasn't usually portrayed in as "bumbling" a manner as Nigel Bruce's version. I don't know if you've seen the Jeremy Brett BBC series, but in those Watson is much more competent and serious. Not Holmes' equal of course, but a solid, reliable companion.

As I said though, Nigel Bruce is fun and helps give the Rathbone movies a coziness that I certainly enjoy. And he's more competent in "The Hound of the Baskervilles, where he has to manage things on his own more than usual.

While we're at it, I've been lamenting a bit recently that TCM doesn't show any of the old Charlie Chan movies. I guess because they're considered sort of off limits these days. But I love them. I have the box set somewhere, but can't find it now, so I wish they'd show them.

Lesser, yes, but Watson wasn't usually portrayed in as "bumbling" a manner as Nigel Bruce's version. I don't know if you've seen the Jeremy Brett BBC series, but in those Watson is much more competent and serious. Not Holmes' equal of course, but a solid, reliable companion.

As I said though, Nigel Bruce is fun and helps give the Rathbone movies a coziness that I certainly enjoy. And he's more competent in "The Hound of the Baskervilles, where he has to manage things on his own more than usual.

While we're at it, I've been lamenting a bit recently that TCM doesn't show any of the old Charlie Chan movies. I guess because they're considered sort of off limits these days. But I love them. I have the box set somewhere, but can't find it now, so I wish they'd show them.
    Agreed that of all the connotations of the Watson character, Nigel Bruce is one of the most exaggerated.

Not much happening this weekend on TCM however, one of my favorite films, The Seven-Ups, is on Saturday afternoon. I think it came out around the time of The French Connection because it has the same type of 70's New York look and feel. Roy Scheider is back as a NY cop trying to figure out who is kidnapping all the mob crime bosses. Not to bad.

Saturday night TV ain't what it used to be.

Not much happening this weekend on TCM however, one of my favorite films, The Seven-Ups, is on Saturday afternoon. I think it came out around the time of The French Connection because it has the same type of 70's New York look and feel. Roy Scheider is back as a NY cop trying to figure out who is kidnapping all the mob crime bosses. Not to bad.
    Thanks, I’m recording that. Never seen it but remember when it came out (I was a little young for it at the time). Should be some great, nostalgic NYC footage!

Thanks, I’m recording that. Never seen it but remember when it came out (I was a little young for it at the time). Should be some great, nostalgic NYC footage!
    Just started watching The Seven Ups, and the opening shot already brings back memories from my childhood. The sign for Drago Shoe Repair; that was a chain of shoe repair stores. Then immediately the early 70s City bus. Just great.

Not sure if this has ever happened to you, but...

Short of catching fire in your lap, it's the worst thing your computer can do to you. You're working on an important document in your web browser: an email in Gmail, a job application on Monster.com or maybe a blog post in Wordpress. You hit the Backspace key to erase a letter, but instead of moving the cursor, your browser takes you back to the previous page, erasing all of your work.

Despite the obvious risk of data loss, the geniuses who developed all of the leading browsers -- Chrome, IE and Firefox -- have designated the Backspace as a keyboard shortcut for the back button. If your window focus is in a text field, Backspace will move the cursor back a space as you would expect. If not, pressing this button will take you to the last URL you visited in that tab. The problem occurs when you think your cursor is in a text field and it's not, because you just switched back from another window or you were scrolling down the page.

If you need it, here's the link to tell you how to disable it: How to Disable Backspace as Back Button

Why am I posting this? Because my last post just fucking disappeared!

This was the first sentence of my post: "No, I'm not dead. I'm currently addicted to a video game."

Unfortunately, while my post wasn't very long - comparatively - I had responded to all of you.

But now I'm pissed. And so my replies, responses, and answers have vanished into the ethernet because some stupid fucking asshole of a coder thought it would be a good idea to make the backspace key equivalent to Alt-Left Arrow.

God, I wish I still smoked weed.

Before I go off to continue with my video game, let me say that I appreciate the compliments but please know that I'm just as grateful to have found like minded individuals and so the pleasure's all mine.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe