Page 64 of 159 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    You're probably thinking of Suddenly . The title refers to the town it takes place in. Sterling Hayden is the good guy. Sinatra is a sociopathic assassin. Legend has it that The Manchurian Canadate was pulled from circulation by Sinatra due to sensitivity on the Kennedy assassination. Suddenly is WAY worse as far as a Kennedy association. Gritty movie , well worth seeing.
    That's it. Yeah, I always wondered why MC was pulled but not Suddenly. Maybe Oswald was brain washed?

Okay, so I'm making list of movies that I am going to try to see soon-ish. If I can find them.
    Suddenly
    Anatomy of a Murder
    The Cincinnati Kid
    The Detective

I know both Hoopla & Kanopy are available through my libraries. Any other sites I should look for?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That's it. Yeah, I always wondered why MC was pulled but not Suddenly. Maybe Oswald was brain washed?

Okay, so I'm making list of movies that I am going to try to see soon-ish. If I can find them.
    Suddenly
    Anatomy of a Murder
    The Cincinnati Kid
    The Detective

I know both Hoopla & Kanopy are available through my libraries. Any other sites I should look for?
    All good choices. If you're asking about streaming sites , I have no idea, I have never streamed a movie. And my cell is a flip phone

"The Fly" and "Return of the Fly" are on TCM at 8:00 EST tonight.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Saw a truly wonderful old b&w movie from 1934 a couple days ago, His Greatest Gamble, starring Richard Dix. What intrigued me most to watch it is was the name of the director, John Robertson. That's correct, namesake of the Byrds' song "Old John Robertson" from The Notorious Byrd Brothers album. A little investigation turns up that John Robertson was silent movie actor and later director. As an old man, he lived in young Chris Hillman's neighborhood. Apparently, few knew of his past in the movies, as he appeared to be just a strange old man shuffling around.

There was an old man who lived in my neighborhood when we first moved in over 35 years ago. He had a huge moustache and long white hair and drove around on a moped with his little dog in a box strapped to the back. He lived in an old ramshackle house. No one knew much about him. Turns out his father was one of Thomas Edison's assistants. After he died the family went in and found tons of Edison stuff including a first edition of Isaac Newton's Principia, which the family sold at an auction for $600,000.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "The Fly" and "Return of the Fly" are on TCM at 8:00 EST tonight.
    You know, the original was so striking I just never really got into the second. Just like, The Return of the Invisible Man.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Saw a truly wonderful old b&w movie from 1934 a couple days ago, His Greatest Gamble, starring Richard Dix. What intrigued me most to watch it is was the name of the director, John Robertson. That's correct, namesake of the Byrds' song "Old John Robertson" from The Notorious Byrd Brothers album. A little investigation turns up that John Robertson was silent movie actor and later director. As an old man, he lived in young Chris Hillman's neighborhood. Apparently, few knew of his past in the movies, as he appeared to be just a strange old man shuffling around.

There was an old man who lived in my neighborhood when we first moved in over 35 years ago. He had a huge moustache and long white hair and drove around on a moped with his little dog in a box strapped to the back. He lived in an old ramshackle house. No one knew much about him. Turns out his father was one of Thomas Edison's assistants. After he died the family went in and found tons of Edison stuff including a first edition of Isaac Newton's Principia, which the family sold at an auction for $600,000.
    Great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    You know, the original was so striking I just never really got into the second. Just like, The Return of the Invisible Man.
    I agree. I forgot that the original was color. I always envision this as B&W, which means I probably first saw the sequel, which is B&W.

It's a pretty dumb story, but the first is definitely an experience, even though Vincent Price is a wasted talent in it. And that harrowing scene at the end still has to be one of the more disturbing scenes in film history.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I agree. I forgot that the original was color. I always envision this as B&W, which means I probably first saw the sequel, which is B&W.

It's a pretty dumb story, but the first is definitely an experience, even though Vincent Price is a wasted talent in it. And that harrowing scene at the end still has to be one of the more disturbing scenes in film history.
    Your right ronmac, I never considered the color and B&W film issue. Funny how that happened. Just to see him walking around with that veil over his head all the time was disturbing enough.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Speaking of disturbing movies, when my older son was fairly young, maybe 8 or 9, we watched The Incredible Shrinking Man with him. I had always liked that one when I was a kid, with him fighting the spider, all the giant props, etc. But it's easy to miscalculate which elements might affect someone. My kid was ok with it till the end, when he he has the voice over explaining that he'll never stop shrinking and go down to the molecular level, etc. My son lost it at that point. That part never really bothered me.

We also watched Amadeus with him around that time, which he liked until at the end they toss his body into a pauper's grave sprinkled with lye. He lost it again - we didn't really remember that ending! I guess my son needed a movie to have some kind of hopeful ending when he was that age. Oh well - we did watch stuff like The Wizard of Oz too!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Speaking of disturbing movies, when my older son was fairly young, maybe 8 or 9, we watched The Incredible Shrinking Man with him. I had always liked that one when I was a kid, with him fighting the spider, all the giant props, etc. But it's easy to miscalculate which elements might affect someone. My kid was ok with it till the end, when he he has the voice over explaining that he'll never stop shrinking and go down to the molecular level, etc. My son lost it at that point. That part never really bothered me.
    A CLASSIC!!

We also watched Amadeus with him around that time, which he liked until at the end they toss his body into a pauper's grave sprinkled with lye. He lost it again - we didn't really remember that ending! I guess my son needed a movie to have some kind of hopeful ending when he was that age. Oh well - we did watch stuff like The Wizard of Oz too!
    One of my favorite movies of all time. F. Murray Abraham is just incredible.

A CLASSIC!!

That son is mostly into movies with a disturbing element these days, so my work is done. Now he tries to get me to watch disturbing movies and I'm the one saying "ah, not right now!"

Too bad my nine-year-old son isn't that into movies. This would probably be a good time to unleash "Silent Running" on him. "Cry, as the beloved robots, forests, bunnies, and Bruce Dern are destroyed to the mournful voice of Joan Baez!"

That son is mostly into movies with a disturbing element these days, so my work is done. Now he tries to get me to watch disturbing movies and I'm the one saying "ah, not right now!"

Too bad my nine-year-old son isn't that into movies. This would probably be a good time to unleash "Silent Running" on him. "Cry, as the beloved robots, forests, bunnies, and Bruce Dern are destroyed to the mournful voice of Joan Baez!"
    Boy, I think I still have SR on VHS somewhere. I used to love the little cart Dern would ride around in. The Incredible Shrinking Man really made an impression on my younger sister as well but she says it's still her favorite sci-fi movie. Amadeus was great.

A CLASSIC!!

Check.

Has he discovered silent films yet?

Has he discovered silent films yet?
    We watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari the other night - he was watching it and I came in. He's pretty on top of things now! However, this was a weird, random version on Amazon Prime with a bizarre, free-jazz score. Wacky sax, electric guitar - it didn't fit at all!

We watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari the other night - he was watching it and I came in. He's pretty on top of things now! However, this was a weird, random version on Amazon Prime with a bizarre, free-jazz score. Wacky sax, electric guitar - it didn't fit at all!
    Precisely the movie I was thinking of.

Ronmac, Hal, I heard this morning there is going to be a new Laurel and Hardy movie. Didn't hear all the details but besides The Three Stooges, I've seen their shorts and films more than anything else. Stan was a good straight man but I never knew he was English.

You mean this?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stan_and_ollie/

Never heard of it. Not necessarily interested, though.

You mean this?

That's it.

You mean this?

It could be good. I can say I'm interested.

I'm just not a fan of modern biopics. In fact, I'll go as far as pissing some here off by stating that I have little to no interest in newer movies, in general. Maybe it's stubborn bias, but I'm just not the target audience and don't get caught up by the way many are directed.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ronmac, Hal, I heard this morning there is going to be a new Laurel and Hardy movie.
    Thanks Staun.

I have mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, it got really good reviews and the story sounds interesting. On the other, I'm not sure I want to learn too much about them. I think I'd rather remain ignorant when it comes to stuff I cherished as a kid.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

So, shortly after my last post, I ran to the store and on the radio was NPR's Fresh Air. The guest was John C. Reilly who plays Oliver Hardy in the new L&H movie. How's that for synchronicity?

After listening to most of the interview, I now have no desire to see the movie because my fears were realized (they played a clip of L&H aruging about something): typical, overly-dramatized Hollywood biopic bullshit.

I remember back in the late 70s or early 80s there was a TV biopic about Abbot & Costello which at the time seemed ok, but was mostly about them arguing. That's kind of a boring formula. I'm more interested to see Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly as Holmes and Watson, which got terrible reviews but I'm a sucker for Holmes & Watson things of all stripes.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-15-2019 at 05:42 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I remember back in the late 70s or early 80s there was a TV biopic about Abbot & Costello which at the time seemed ok, but was mostly about them arguing. That's kind of a boring formula. I'm more interested to see Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly as Holmes and Watson, which is coming up.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.