Page 61 of 160 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

The Last Picture Show is one of the best. Haven’t read this long thread.
    Saw Roma recently on Netflix. Beautiful film. Highly recommended. The lead actress never acted before. She’s a pre school teacher in Mexico. Maybe no longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Double Bogey on Sunday night with "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca."

"A Hard Days' Night is on tonight."

"Double Indemnity" is a great one. It's a shame she didn't like men. Not that I would have had a chance.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

"Double Indemnity" is a great one. It's a shame she didn't like men. Not that I would have had a chance.
    Thanks, recording A Hard Day's Night.

I had TCM on in my office this afternoon (college bowl game was a joke). I had it on mute because it was nothing but musicals. Still, I missed that Hard Day's NIght was on tonight. The DVR is now set. Thanks!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Stanwick was gay?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Stanwick was gay?
    That's my understanding.

EDIT: I just found this link that covers some of the rumors.

https://www.out.com/entertainment/to...rbara-stanwyck
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Stanwick was gay?
    That's my understanding.
    Puts a whole new spin on the phrase "the big valley," doesn't it?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Puts a whole new spin on the phrase "the big valley," doesn't it?
    Where she was billed as Miss Barbara Stanwyck, which I always thought was a bit odd.

Kate Hepburn supposedly swung both ways.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What do you guys watch on New Year's Eve? I was just thinking about how when I was a kid we watched Guy Lombardo, and even if it was a little boring it felt like the right thing to have on. But all those shows that are on now are so terrible. I can't watch them.

I see TCM has the "That's Entertainment" movies on, and that's not a bad idea. In any case we usually find it hard to stay up till midnight after some bubbly and food anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do you guys watch on New Year's Eve? I was just thinking about how when I was a kid we watched Guy Lombardo, and even if it was a little boring it felt like the right thing to have on. But all those shows that are on now are so terrible. I can't watch them.

I see TCM has the "That's Entertainment" movies on, and that's not a bad idea. In any case we usually find it hard to stay up till midnight after some bubbly and food anyway.
    "Twilight Zone" marathon.

Oh, yeah, and Honeymooners! I forgot.

Oh, yeah, and Honeymooners! I forgot.
    Only if you're lucky enough to get WPIX in New York, that is, which we aren't.

Although, I do have the complete DVD set, so I could have my own marathon.

"Twilight Zone" marathon.
    Yeah, the Zone will probable be on here as well. Gay actresses? I thought Joan Crawford was in the mix as well. Also Helen Crump, Aneta Corsaut, from Andy Griffith, was said to be gay. She had a great voice as well.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Yeah, the Zone will probable be on here as well. Gay actresses? I thought Joan Crawford was in the mix as well. Also Helen Crump, Aneta Corsaut, from Andy Griffith, was said to be gay. She had a great voice as well.
    Not sure about Joan. I never knew Helen Crump was in the mix or could sing, for that matter.

There's an Andy Griffith joke in there somewhere.

Not to mention a Jim Nabors joke as well!

I think Crawford was omnivorous - she'd fuck anything but then eat her lover's head

Only if you're lucky enough to get WPIX in New York, that is, which we aren't.

Although, I do have the complete DVD set, so I could have my own marathon.
    I just checked - WPIX starts the Honeymooners marathon at 11pm with: "Ralph finds a suitcase crammed with $100 bills and goes on a huge spending spree." A great one, but they're all great. The marathon goes until about 4am - I'm recording them all. We do have the boxed set somewhere, but I think it's impossible to find right now. Guess we'll have to deal with skipping commercials.

We rarely make it to midnight anymore, so we'll probably watch some of these tomorrow.

WPIX is great! Back at one point in my life, the reward for making it through each day of work was and watching MASH, The Odd Couple, then The Honeymooners. All of course which I'd seen many times. All on a little black & white TV that had been in the family for a long time. Good memories!

I just checked - WPIX starts the Honeymooners marathon at 11pm with: "Ralph finds a suitcase crammed with $100 bills and goes on a huge spending spree." A great one, but they're all great. The marathon goes until about 4am - I'm recording them all. We do have the boxed set somewhere, but I think it's impossible to find right now. Guess we'll have to deal with skipping commercials.

We rarely make it to midnight anymore, so we'll probably watch some of these tomorrow.

WPIX is great! Back at one point in my life, the reward for making it through each day of work was and watching MASH, The Odd Couple, then The Honeymooners. All of course which I'd seen many times. All on a little black & white TV that had been in the family for a long time. Good memories!
    That's a great episode.

I grew up in Easton, PA, and benefited from both the Philly stations and the New York stations. WPIX was a fixture. Great memories, from the Odd Couple, to Yankees baseball, to The Honeymooners, to Popeye cartoons.

CTTOI, MASH in syndication was on FOX5, wasn't it?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-31-2018 at 06:52 PM.

CTTOI, MASH in syndication was on FOX5, wasn't it?
    The Odd Couple was Pix11. Mash might have been Fox5 . Actually almost definitely 5 . Popeye was PIX11 .
    The real question is where The Little Rascals and The Three Stooges aired. Captain Jack McCarthy was host for the Rascals IIRC on 5 . Officer Joe Bolton was on 11 with the Stooges. Pretty sure on those.

I thought Captain Jack was on 11.

I thought Captain Jack was on 11.
    Yeah, I remember Jack McCarthy being host for Popeye and I think on 11 (unless it was 9)?

When I watched Little Rascals I don't remember any host, so I guess it was a little later.

Yeah, I remember Jack McCarthy being host for Popeye and I think on 11 (unless it was 9)?

When I watched Little Rascals I don't remember any host, so I guess it was a little later.
    I'm 99% sure it was not WOR-TV9.

I don't recall any host for the Little Rascals, either. But, I agree, we may be discussing different eras. I'm referring to the 70s.