Page 57 of 159 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean.
    Sorry, since Mary Shelley wrote the novel, her ideas of whether he was a villain or not would be interesting to hear.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Sorry, since Mary Shelley wrote the novel, her ideas of whether he was a villain or not would be interesting to hear.
    No need to be sorry. I wasn't sure if you were trying to frame it in today's context. I don't think she saw him as a villain at all.
    Last edited by ronmac; 11-20-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No need to be sorry. I wasn't sure if you were trying to frame it in today's context. I don't think she saw him as a villain at all.
    Well, I don't think so either. He was the commination of an idea. When he was introduced to society, humans, as they often do, didn't understand the idea and of course tried to destroy it. I wonder where she found a saving grace for him? Did she let him exhibit something human to his enemies? Something recognizable?

Well, I don't think so either. He was the commination of an idea. When he was introduced to society, humans, as they often do, didn't understand the idea and of course tried to destroy it. I wonder where she found a saving grace for him? Did she let him exhibit something human to his enemies? Something recognizable?
    I didn't understand Menudo and tried to destroy them. It didn't work.

Well, needless to say, the book is entirely different than the movie. And it's been soooo long since I read it. But, when he escaped, he hid out in a room next to a house without the inhabitants knowing. He stayed there for months and learned how to speak beautiful English. So, he did pick up some human traits. But, there wasn't much interaction with society after that that I can recall. But he did seek out his maker. Once again, it's bee very long since I read it.

BTW, the version of the book I have was illustrated by Bernie Wrightson and it's effing incredible.

Instead of embedding this particular image, here's a link, because it's quite large.

https://biblioklept.files.wordpress....snap-image.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

the version of the book I have was illustrated by Bernie Wrightson and it's effing incredible.

Instead of embedding this particular image, here's a link, because it's quite large.

https://biblioklept.files.wordpress....snap-image.jpg
    I have that book, too. It must have taken Wrightson weeks to do just that one image.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^^ People are asking serious money for it on Ebay. Doesn't mean they'll get it though. Mine is the paperback, which I am pretty sure is a first edition.

"All about Eve" is just starting on TCM. I've seen it a couple of times and there's nothing else on. But, man, what a great movie. Fourteen Oscar nominations and six wins. Bette Davis is always a treat.
    Last edited by ronmac; 11-24-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "All about Eve" is just starting on TCM. I've seen it a couple of times and there's nothing else on. But, man, what a great movie. Fourteen Oscar nominations and six wins. Bette Davis is always a treat.
    Definitely a good one.

Yesterday I watched "The Day The Earth Stood Still" on TCM. I'd surprisingly never seen it before! Very good, although it was different from what I expected, and a little underwhelming. But still overall a well done film, with a timeless message (sadly).

Marilyn Munroe

*ahem* Can any of you recommend me some Marylin, she was before my time. Are these available on Netflix or Archive.org?

Marilyn Monroe (born Norma Jeane Mortenson; June 1, 1926 – August 5, 1962) was an American actress, model, and singer. Famous for playing comic "blonde bombshell" characters, she became one of the most popular sex symbols of the 1950s and was emblematic of the era's attitudes towards sexuality. Although she was a top-billed actress for only a decade, her films grossed $200 million by the time of her unexpected death in 1962 (equivalent to $2 billion in 2017). More than half a century later, she continues to be a major popular culture icon.

Filmography:
    The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
    All About Eve (1950)
    Home Town Story (1951)
    As Young as You Feel (1951)
    Love Nest (1951)
    Let's Make It Legal (1951)
    Clash by Night (1952)
    We're Not Married! (1952)
    Don't Bother to Knock (1952)
    Monkey Business (1952)
    Niagara (1953)
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
    How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)
    River of No Return (1954)
    There's No Business Like Show Business (1954)
    The Seven Year Itch (1955)
    Bus Stop (1956)
    The Prince and the Showgirl (1957)
    Some Like It Hot (1959)
    Let's Make Love (1960)
    The Misfits (1961)
    Something's Got to Give (1962 – unfinished)

References:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Monroe

^ See "Some Like it Hot" ASAP. In my top three favorite films, and Marilyn is in what probably was top form. "Seven Year Itch" is another great one.

Monroe from the list
    Asphalt Jungle , her first , a small role , but a phenominal movie. A must see.
    Niagara , cool movie , she's already a star.
    How to Marry A Millionaire , great movie , voluptuous Marylyn.
    River Of No Return. Paired with Robert Mitchum , very hot in a credible action flic.
    The Seven Year Itch , the iconic subway grate.
    Bus Stop. Very much worth a watch.
    Some Like It Hot . Very ,very much worth a watch.
    The Misfits. The end of the end . Solid swan song.

MM had much more talent than she was given credit for.

"Some Like It Hot" is always a good choice.

"Some Like it Hot" is on TCM at 3:00 EST this afternoon.

"Some Like it Hot" is on TCM at 3:00 EST this afternoon.
    Doh! Well, I caught the last two minutes - better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The Seven Year Itch , the iconic subway grate.
    I saw an interview with someone who worked on the film and they did numerous takes of that shot. The reason wasn't what you'd expect. He said that because of the bright lights, you could see through her underwear and so Billy Wilder called for more takes just so they could see more of her.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Seven Year Itch

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I saw an interview with someone who worked on the film and they did numerous takes of that shot. The reason wasn't what you'd expect. He said that because of the bright lights, you could see through her underwear and so Billy Wilder called for more takes just so they could see more of her.
    I can afford watching clips on YouTube, LLC

A fun film. What I found strange was, it was Birdie who had to clue Margo in on what was going on. Guess she was sharpening her tongue up for Jimmy and Grace in Rear Window. And the arguments Margo and Bill had were a little underwhelming. Almost like fighting with feathers. It was fascinating to hear everyone talk about the business, the stage and the theater. George Sanders did a great opening with that perfect British voice of his.

Well I guess I've lost my mind and I know Marilyn is an icon but, I admit, I'm an Anne Francis worshiper. Go figure.

A fun film. What I found strange was, it was Birdie who had to clue Margo in on what was going on. Guess she was sharpening her tongue up for Jimmy and Grace in Rear Window. And the arguments Margo and Bill had were a little underwhelming. Almost like fighting with feathers. It was fascinating to hear everyone talk about the business, the stage and the theater. George Sanders did a great opening with that perfect British voice of his.
    The dialogue is simply fantastic. They really don't make them like that anymore.

Sanders took an Oscar for that role. Yeah, that voice is something.

Whoa! "12 Angry Men" is on TCM on Thursday at 10:15 pm

The dialogue is simply fantastic. They really don't make them like that anymore.

Sanders took an Oscar for that role. Yeah, that voice is something.
    As they say on TCM , back then since there was no CGI and there wasn't such a reliance on blowing things up , they relied on dialogue and plot. Who could have known the correct use of those elements could yield such good results?

I have started scanning TCM for classics I've never seen or haven't seen in ages, and DVRing them. Last night I watched "The Last Picture Show" for the first time. In addition to being such a beautifully shot film, some of the performances are outstanding. I knew Cloris Leachman from the Mel Brooks films and Mary Tyler Moore, but she's just spectacular in TLPS, and won an Oscar. Next up in the queue: Twelve Angry Men.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I have started scanning TCM for classics I've never seen or haven't seen in ages, and DVRing them. Last night I watched "The Last Picture Show" for the first time. In addition to being such a beautifully shot film, some of the performances are outstanding. I knew Cloris Leachman from the Mel Brooks films and Mary Tyler Moore, but she's just spectacular in TLPS, and won an Oscar. Next up in the queue: Twelve Angry Men.
    You'll definitely enjoy 12 Angry Men

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    You'll definitely enjoy 12 Angry Men
    Yep, that's one of the very few movies I try to see every time it's on.