Page 56 of 160 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    First, I'm sorry to hear that the voice of HAL passed away this weekend. I'm sure you have the proper tribute planned.
    Well, shit. (I hadn't heard)

Interesting, tho, in that I just finished watching about an hour ago a documentary on Leon Vitali. He was an actor who co-starred in Barry Lyndon. He became so infatuated with Kubrick and his filmmaking process that he abandoned acting to become Kubrick's assistant. A very informative doc I also found it oddly touching.

Regarding Band of Brothers, I rented the DVDs when they first came out back in '01 or '02. I'm not even sure where you could find them, now, other than your local library. You might try there.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wonder if they played "Daisy" at his funeral.
    Leon Vitali said he wants to go out just as he finishes the 4K transfer of 2001 with "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" playing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

You can still find the DVD box of Band of Brothers/The Pacific. I never read the books that supported The Pacific but I did read Band of Brothers while watching the series and they kept it close to the book with only a few deviations. I know that during the filming they were setting up a machine gun at the edge of a field in Belgium. Most of those guys were still alive and one of them was with the crew that day. He argued that they were about ten yards away or something. An assistant was checking the notes and said, "No, it's supposed to be here." The old guy went over to the spot he said they had been and started kicking around in the dirt. He came up with .50 caliber shells. Speilberg just said, "That settles that. We shoot it there." So they did.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just found out that Stan Lee passed away today.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I wonder if they played "Daisy" at his funeral.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I just found out that Stan Lee passed away today.
    Started out as a DC man myself but I had a lot of respect for Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four. I liked Marvel's drawings and illustrations as they were somewhat more complicated especially the machines. DC was cleaner and more straight forward. RIP Stan.

Hey Ron, I was in the grocery store the other day and thought of you because this is available right now at the check out lanes:

Attachment 12407

^^
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Heres a review of an actual BW movie; The Threat , 1949 . Gotta love TMC , they played the Threat , a 1949 B picture . Violent criminal , Kluger played by Charles McGraw escapes from prison with revege on his mind. As learned from the pre movie blurb , its director , Felix Feist was know for extreme for the time ,violence in his movies . Charles McGraw deals menace and violence with intense focus. This was McGraw's breakout movie. He continued on to a long carreer , playing heavies and cops , a fixture ing crime and noir flics for decades. The pictures moving parts mesh well , the plot development makes as much sense as a flic of this type can. Its a testament to the craft of those involved , in front of and behind the camara , that given its B status with the financial constraints that comes with , that the end product is a tight , suspenseful ,well made flic. Parts eemed familiar , like I saw it a long time ago , regardless I was glued to the screen throughout. Worth a look if it's offered again.

I just noticed (at 9pm EST) that "High Noon" is on the Outdoor Channel. It's half over but they're replaying it again at 10.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Not sure what took them so long, but this is great news: Criterion Channel to Launch Spring 2019

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not sure what took them so long, but this is great news: Criterion Channel to Launch Spring 2019
    Criterion was partnered with Filmstruck, and before that they were partnered with, I think, Hulu. Or Vudu. So they've had streaming Criterion content for at least a few years now. But Filmstruck has just gone under (one month after we joined!), so this new thing is just Criterion's next attempt. Going standalone is probably a good idea, if they couldn't strike a deal with the big boys like Netflix or Amazon.

Watched Jezebel Sunday morning. I still like it better than, Gone With The Wind. More Impact and a better sense of the times. Wow, I seem to say that a lot. Just wished George Brent had a bigger role.

Watched Jezebel Sunday morning. I still like it better than, Gone With The Wind. More Impact and a better sense of the times. Wow, I seem to say that a lot. Just wished George Brent had a bigger role.
    I don't know that I'm familiar with George Brent, but I'm recording another movie with him on AMC tonight that sounded like fun, called "Snowed Under." A comedy with him, his wife, his ex-wife, and his girlfriend all snowed in in a cabin.

I don't know that I'm familiar with George Brent, but I'm recording another movie with him on AMC tonight that sounded like fun, called "Snowed Under." A comedy with him, his wife, his ex-wife, and his girlfriend all snowed in in a cabin.
    Ha, that does sound like fun. What year did it come out? I'm sure his character here is rather different than in Jezebel. A smooth southern voice and to Henry Fonda, a stone in the shoe he couldn't get out.

Ha, that does sound like fun. What year did it come out? I'm sure his character here is rather different than in Jezebel. A smooth southern voice and to Henry Fonda, a stone in the shoe he couldn't get out.
    It's from 1936.

It's from 1936.
    Let us know how the whole thing goes and how it turns out.

Hey Ron, I was in the grocery store the other day and thought of you because this is available right now at the check out lanes:

Attachment 12407
    TCM is calling him the greatest villain of all time. Interesting way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just noticed (at 9pm EST) that "High Noon" is on the Outdoor Channel. It's half over but they're replaying it again at 10.
    You can see where a lot of westerns picked up their P's and Q's but still a light film in terms of content. Grace Kelley for me, just doesn't fit.

TCM is calling him the greatest villain of all time. Interesting way to look at it.
    He wasn't even a villain. He was a victim.

You can see where a lot of westerns picked up their P's and Q's but still a light film in terms of content. Grace Kelley for me, just doesn't fit.
    Yeah, it was pretty good, but not very exciting. As I mentioned before, Gary Cooper, does little for me.

Yeah, it was pretty good, but not very exciting. As I mentioned before, Gary Cooper, does little for me.
    I might have asked this before, but even in Sergeant York? I love that movie!

I agree that in many of his other movies he's pretty bland, but I just think Sergeant York has a great, Capra-esque richness to it, and Cooper serves it well.

I agree that in many of his other movies he's pretty bland, but I just think Sergeant York has a great, Capra-esque richness to it, and Cooper serves it well.
    Dare I say that's the one movie Cooper is excellent in?

Dare I say that's the one movie Cooper is excellent in?
    I've actually only seen a few others, but I could see it being his best.

It's been so many years that I've seen it, I honestly can't answer that.

He was a victim and sympathetic at that. Notorious maybe, but not a villain. I suppose we could talk about how women writers look at villains.

I suppose we could talk about how women writers look at villains.
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean.