Page 53 of 160 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    When was the last time you guys saw Andy Warhol's Dracula and Frankenstein? Been sometime for me but I thought they may have been a little over the top. The effects were not that great if I recall but they did come out in the 70's.
    I've only seen parts.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I saw them both in 3D at the Thalia, an arthouse in NYC, back in the late 70s, or maybe 1980.

Yeah, over the top is correct!
    Think I laughed more than anything else. We have a great arthouse here as well. Shows some really great off the wall things. And of course, Rocky Horror will run all next week. Saw, A ClockWork Orange a couple weeks ago.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Andy Warhol said they were art, so they're art!

I say this is art:

I say this is art:

OK OK, but I'm bothered by the word, "Artificial", when it comes to this kind of art. Hey, he's got only four fingers......

Hey, he's got only four fingers......
    So, does Mickey Mouse and most other cartoon characters. It's easier to draw hands that way.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I say this is art:

Packaging certainly is art.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, does Mickey Mouse and most other cartoon characters. It's easier to draw hands that way.
    It was either Walt Disney or Walter Lantz who said it was easier and took less time to animate three fingers instead of four.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I just saw Night of the Living Dead at the theater last night. As part of it's 50th anniversary, it was restored and remastered in 4K video from the original camera negative by the Museum of Modern Art and the George Lucas Family Foundation. The remastered version is way more vividly gruesome than what was previously available. Shot in 30 days on a budget of $114K, it raked in $30M at the box office, making it the 6th most successful movie of all time (in terms of box-office-to-budget ratio). Let's hear it for the B&W movie that popularized the whole zombie genre!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    It was either Walt Disney or Walter Lantz who said it was easier and took less time to animate three fingers instead of four.
    Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I just saw Night of the Living Dead at the theater last night. As part of it's 50th anniversary, it was restored and remastered in 4K video from the original camera negative by the Museum of Modern Art and the George Lucas Family Foundation. The remastered version is way more vividly gruesome than what was previously available. Shot in 30 days on a budget of $114K, it raked in $30M at the box office, making it the 6th most successful movie of all time (in terms of box-office-to-budget ratio). Let's hear it for the B&W movie that popularized the whole zombie genre!
    Nice.

Ronmac, guys, I've decided to run House on Haunted Hill and Brides of Dracula on Halloween. Need two or three more suggestions.

Regarding cartoon characters with only four fingers, that's true for any drawn or painted person. You can often tell if an artist has had formal training based on how well they draw or paint hands. And all the famous artists paint them well, even when stylized. Unsurprisingly, the best at it were usually the Renaissance painters, the Dutch Masters, and the Realists.

That's not to say, however, that a great artist needs formal training.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ronmac, guys, I've decided to run House on Haunted Hill and Brides of Dracula on Halloween. Need two or three more suggestions.
    Do you want them limited to Hammer and Castle movies and their ilk?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Do you want them limited to Hammer and Castle movies and their ilk?
    Films that would be considered scary. H and C films fit but there are others I'm sure I haven't thought of as yet. A couple of good ghost stories would be nice. I fell that Hollywood has maybe moved away from the simple simplicity of these type films.

Films that would be considered scary. H and C films fit but there are others I'm sure I haven't thought of as yet. A couple of good ghost stories would be nice. I fell that Hollywood has maybe moved away from the simple simplicity of these type films.
    I was just thinking a ghost story would be cool. "The Innocents," "The Haunting" or "13 Ghosts" would be nice choices. If you want something more contemporary, "Poltergeist" is my suggestion.

Are you interested in silent movies?

I was just thinking a ghost story would be cool. "The Innocents," "The Haunting" or "13 Ghosts" would be nice choices. If you want something more contemporary, "Poltergeist" is my suggestion.

Are you interested in silent movies?
    Oh, 13 Ghosts. Remember seeing that when I was really young and I have seen it several times since. Had a sleepless night after that. The idea of the glasses was interesting and once again, a strange housekeeper. Martin Milner of Route 66 was the guy who wanted the money. The Haunting comes on quite a bit around here for some reason. Poltergeist was really good but I would rather have seen it in a B&W older type setting. The Innocents, I've not seen so I'll check into that. Just never been able to get into silent movies but I know I'm missing a great deal there. But yes, 13 Ghosts is an excellent choice.

Oh, 13 Ghosts. Remember seeing that when I was really young and I have seen it several times since. Had a sleepless night after that. The idea of the glasses was interesting and once again, a strange housekeeper. Martin Milner of Route 66 was the guy who wanted the money. The Haunting comes on quite a bit around here for some reason. Poltergeist was really good but I would rather have seen it in a B&W older type setting. The Innocents, I've not seen so I'll check into that. Just never been able to get into silent movies but I know I'm missing a great deal there. But yes, 13 Ghosts is an excellent choice.
    How about sci-fi/horror, like the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

Yeah, House on Haunted Hill is almost perfect in what it is and does. The effects may not be the best but your to frightened to care.

How about sci-fi/horror, like the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?
    Always been one of my favorites. I always felt sorry for the good doctor when Becky went over to the other side. Great film.

A couple of old movies I saw as a kid that I liked are I Saw What You Did (1965), a William Castle movie about two girls who randomly dial numbers to make prank phone calls and tell the person on the other end, "I saw what you did"; one guy, who's done something bad, believes them and tries to hunt them down. The other is Tales From the Crypt (1972), an anthology movie with Ralph Richardson. The first story stars Joan Collins and I remember it as being really good. Peter Cushing is in another story.

To me, the best Halloween movies are either haunted house movies or witch/occult movies and so The Haunting is what I think is one of two perfect Halloween movies. The other is a modern movie, however, called The Witch (2015). The great thing about it, tho, is that it doesn't beat you over the head with gore or jump scares. It's mostly about a family banished from a Puritan settlement who set up home near a forest in 1630s New England. The trouble starts when their baby disappears. Other problems follow and they begin to turn on each other. If you've ever read about the Witch Hunts in Europe or read/seen The Crucible (1996) you know that the Witch Hunts and the Salem Witch Trials were nothing more than hysteria caused by Old World superstitions and religious zealotry. This movies asks the viewer, "what if it was true?" One of the things that I think makes this movie so good is that the writer uses dialogue of the time, taken from trial transcripts, folk tales, journals, and diaries so it comes off very authentic, as does the production design. Another great thing about it is the cinematography. It's quite stark and almost monochromatic, even tho it's in color; it really adds to the atmosphere.

If you want to stick to earlier movies, there's always The Innocents (1961) with Deborah Kerr. Then there's The Bad Seed (1956), which isn't really scary but is quite good. And, of course, there's always Psycho.

For modern movies, a really good supernatural horror movie is The Others with Nicole Kidman. Low on jump scares, the movie is very atmospheric... and creepy. There's also The Ring, a remake of the Japanese horror movie that's nearly as good as the original, which is a rarity in Hollywood. Also, I liked The Blair Witch Project and the first Paranormal Activity.

BTW, when I was hunting down the title for I Saw What You Did, I discovered that William Castle also produced Rosemary's Baby. There are things about it I like but I've never been a big fan of it. Still, it could be a good Halloween movie.

A couple of old movies I saw as a kid that I liked are I Saw What You Did (1965), a William Castle movie about two girls who randomly dial numbers to make prank phone calls and tell the person on the other end, "I saw what you did"; one guy, who's done something bad, believes them and tries to hunt them down. The other is Tales From the Crypt (1972), an anthology movie with Ralph Richardson. The first story stars Joan Collins and I remember it as being really good. Peter Cushing is in another story.

BTW, when I was hunting down the title for I Saw What You Did, I discovered that William Castle also produced Rosemary's Baby. There are things about it I like but I've never been a big fan of it. Still, it could be a good Halloween movie.
    I watched "I Saw What You Did" not too long ago on TV. It wasn't bad, but suffered from a Disney-esque soundtrack.

I actually had a beta videotape of "Tales from the Crypt." I recalled seeing the commercials back in the day and stumbled upon a copy years later. It's okay. I think it's a Hammer film. Pretty much on par with later Hammer films.

For modern movies, a really good supernatural horror movie is The Others with Nicole Kidman. Low on jump scares, the movie is very atmospheric... and creepy.
    I almost suggested that as a ghost story. I really did enjoy it and loved the twist at the end. Good movie. Of course, I can look at her all day long.

Yeah, House on Haunted Hill is almost perfect in what it is and does. The effects may not be the best but your to frightened to care.
    What makes that movie is the screaming. That young girl can really bring it. But, the wife ... Well.

Not the most terrifying scene in movie history, though.

You know, another CLASSIC B&W horror movie, though probably not Halloween one, is "King Kong."

That skeleton scene from House on Haunted Hill scared the pants off me when I first saw that as a yout at a Saturday matinee. Certainly is one of the most terrifying scenes in a horror movie. I still wonder why more houses don't have acid pits in their cellars.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I remember, I saw What You Did. The idea was good. Hal, didn't, The Bad Seed, have alternate endings? Thought I read that somewhere. The ending I saw was the girl being struck by lightning. The woman whose son drowned played the part of a drunk really well. I have heard about, The others, and will certainly check into that as well. NE witch hunts is interesting. Wonder why it seemed to happen mostly in NE? Some terrible stories came out of that. Mentally challenged people being burned and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That skeleton scene from House on Haunted Hill scared the pants off me when I first saw that as a yout at a Saturday matinee. Certainly is one of the most terrifying scenes in a horror movie. I still wonder why more houses don't have acid pits in their cellars.
    I agree. You could get rid of the garbage or if your so inclined, a bad uncle or two. Only upscale homes I would think.