Page 51 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    No she didn't, she never became a vampire. One fine point here, I always assumed once you were bitten you became one of the living dead and your only way out, was true death. You had to be beheaded or the usual stake to the heart. I've heard about the silver bullet but I don't think I've ever seen that used. But remember, Cushing was bitten, branded himself with the iron and washed the bite in holy water. He never became a vampire. Hope there's a book on all this.
    There was never a legend about a silver bullet. Hammer improvised. I'm not so sure the beheading was, either, although that is the legend of how Vlad the Impaler perished, I believe. In fact, the old legend was that, not only did they need to get a wooden stake through the heart, it must be made of aspen wood.

Yeah, that scene of Cushing branding himself is pretty cool. But, do we know he never turned into a vampire?????
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I thought silver bullets killed werewolves not vampires?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was never a legend about a silver bullet. Hammer improvised. I'm not so sure the beheading was, either, although that is the legend of how Vlad the Impaler perished, I believe. In fact, the old legend was that, not only did they need to get a wooden stake through the heart, it must be made of aspen wood.

Yeah, that scene of Cushing branding himself is pretty cool. But, do we know he never turned into a vampire?????
    I suppose you assume this as we only see him being bit then waking up in this barn type area where they confronted each other.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh oh. A new can of worms. NTB, you know, I think I have heard this very thing.

I've seen and heard the discussion about the beheading. Was it in Bram Stoker's Dracula? I don't think it was Salem's Lot.

Yep. In fact, Universal also bent that rule, when Claude Raines killed the Wolfman with his silver-handled cane. (Didn't that happen in the "The Wolfman"?)

I suppose you assume this as we only see him being bit then waking up in this barn type area where they confronted each other.
    Really, only because the movie ends shortly after that. A sequel where he's the vampire might have been cool.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yep. In fact, Universal also bent that rule, when Claude Raines killed the Wolfman with his silver-handled cane. (Didn't that happen in the "The Wolfman"?)

Really, only because the movie ends shortly after that. A sequel where he's the vampire might have been cool.
    I don't think he was a vampire. He was still trying to kill Dracula and finally did. If they were in league together, I don't think this would have happened. Even Dracula's brides were still against him. Also what is it about silver that fights this kind of evil? It can kill the Wolfman and I think even witches have issues with it. Doesn't the Bible say something to the effect about iron being a deterant against the devil? Am I wrong on that point?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't think he was a vampire. He was still trying to kill Dracula and finally did. If they were in league together, I don't think this would have happened. Even Dracula's brides were still against him. Also what is it about silver that fights this kind of evil? It can kill the Wolfman and I think even witches have issues with it. Doesn't the Bible say something to the effect about iron being a deterant against the devil? Am I wrong on that point?
    Maybe it has something to do with the 30 pieces of silver for which Judas betrayed Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the 30 pieces of silver for which Judas betrayed Jesus?
    Who visited wikipedia today?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't think he was a vampire. He was still trying to kill Dracula and finally did. If they were in league together, I don't think this would have happened. Even Dracula's brides were still against him.
    I think you misunderstood me. You're right, that's how it ends. But, I was just having fun with it. Apparently, one doesn't immediately turn into a vampire, once bitten. In the Universal flick with Lugosi, it happens over time after severals visits from Drac. So, let's say van Helsing might have THOUGHT he cured his bite before he killing Dracula, but after time, he turns into one himself. Or, even a Renfield-type character. Add all of those lovely brides left behind and, thus, a sequel is born.

Dracula's Widows

I think you misunderstood me. You're right, that's how it ends. But, I was just having fun with it. Apparently, one doesn't immediately turn into a vampire, once bitten. In the Universal flick with Lugosi, it happens over time after severals visits from Drac. So, let's say van Helsing might have THOUGHT he cured his bite before he killing Dracula, but after time, he turns into one himself. Or, even a Renfield-type character. Add all of those lovely brides left behind and, thus, a sequel is born.

Dracula's Widows
    Dracula, a bigamist? You think you know a person, then you find they have a dark side. guess I know what film I'll watch this weekend. Did Salem's Lot, do anything for you? I think I've only seen the uncut version on TV maybe once.

It's an idea but I don't know.......

Come to think of it, I may also watch, The Hound of the Baskervilles with Cushing. The last print I saw was vivid as well.

Did Salem's Lot, do anything for you? I think I've only seen the uncut version on TV maybe once.
    If I saw it, it was decades ago and I don't recall anything about it.

If I saw it, it was decades ago and I don't recall anything about it.
    David Soul and our friend, James Mason. Soul goes to New England to write a book but runs into Vampires. Mason turns in an OK creepy performance. Not a great but interesting.

Salem's Lot was good but crippled by the constraints of network TV - mediocre effects (except for the kid vampire coming through the window) and limits on blood/gore/language.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Salem's Lot was good but crippled by the constraints of network TV - mediocre effects (except for the kid vampire coming through the window) and limits on blood/gore/language.
    I mentioned that I had only seen the full length version only once on TV. When they got to Mexico, vampires were all over the place. Not enough blood and gore for you huh.

Who visited wikipedia today?
    Um, that bible story is pretty common knowledge. But I was just guessing as to whether it's connected to the werewolf/vampire thing.

Um, that bible story is pretty common knowledge. But I was just guessing as to whether it's connected to the werewolf/vampire thing.
    And my point Dr. was, I didn't think they would take that bible story and connect it with vampires. I certainly had no issue with you thought on this matter.

I googled it when it came up and the wikipedia article was top of the list
    Ian

I mentioned in an earlier post that there are a couple of old war movies I've been meaning to see for years: All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and Grand Illusion (1938). Watched them both the other day. Both are really good and I could see how they'd be considered excellent in their day. And even tho the protagonists are German in All Quiet on the Western Front, I think I liked it better since it was really more of an antiwar movie. It won the Oscar for Best Picture, btw.

Grand Illusion was more about class than war, which was the theme in Renoir's Rules of the Game, a better movie, imo. Still, Grand Illusion had kind of a sweet ending, which I didn't expect, whereas AQotWF had a depressing ending, which was in keeping with its story arc.

In both movies I did see some common themes with later war movies, GI less so, but I don't know if this is something common to war in general, what became war movie clichés, or the influence of these two earlier movies. Two movies off the top of my head in which I recognized this were Platoon and Band of Brothers (an excellent HBO mini-series, which I highly recommend); there were a couple of others I can't think of, right now.

Ultimately, they're of their time and unfortunately for me I couldn't really enjoy them the way I might have many years ago when I was more forgiving of old movies. And unfortunately, in once scene AQotWF used the old technique of filming at a slower rate so that the action appeared faster on screen. I never understood why directors did this because it doesn't look natural.

I think the best antiwar movie I've seen is Paths of Glory (1957). Like a few Kubrick movies, it's nearly perfect. And it, too, takes place during WWI. The interesting thing is that it kind of combines the elements of the two earlier movies: antiwar and class. But, apart from the overall story, its strength is that it doesn't feel dated the way the others do. If you've never seen it, you really need to remedy that.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Grand Illusion, and Paths of Glory could make for an interesting WWI triple bill... if you've got 5½ hours to spare.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I've seen neither Grand Illusion nor Paths to Glory and cannot say I've seen AQotWF in its entirety. More to add to the list.

I also hate the sped-up action scenes, which is also the only flaw in my favorite movie, "The Adventures of Robin Hood." Totally unnecessary, especially with such great swordplay between Basil Rathbone and Errol Flynn.

So, "The Fearless Vampire Killers" is on TCM tonight. I see reviews all over the place, but have only seen portions of it. I found it to be kinda dumb, but am willing to give it a move serious look, especially when I don't have any baseball to watch tonight, and since the lovely Sharon Tate is in it.

Any fans of that one?

I googled it when it came up and the wikipedia article was top of the list
    Staun, I was replying to Ian. Ian, I don’t know what Wikipedia article you're referring to. But whatever...

Anyone who subscribes to or is interested in FilmStruck, they’ve added the uncensored King Kong with a wealth of extra material. I’m watching the excellent 7-part “Making Of” docu now. Ahh, Saturday morning...

Anyone who subscribes to or is interested in FilmStruck, they’ve added the uncensored King Kong with a wealth of extra material. I’m watching the excellent 7-part “Making Of” docu now. Ahh, Saturday morning...
    Mostly uncensored. Unfortunately, the spider scene was lost forever. It was only showed in pre-release screenings and, apparently, terrified audiences so much that they cut it from the final release. The last hope would be that a pre-release cut is collecting dust in the bowels of an old theater somewhere.