Page 49 of 160 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I just remembered something that I'm not sure I ever mentioned before.

My oldest brother, who was born in '51, had those Aurora model kits of the old movie monsters. I distinctly remember he had Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman, the Hunchback (he even painted red whip marks on his back), and the Bride of Frankenstein's monster. I can't remember if he had anything else or not.

Did anyone else have those or remember them?

Here's a picture of what they looked like:

Attachment 12247
    I literally just posted about these and then saw your post.

We had them all. Here's one I built about 25 years ago:

dracula-model.jpg

I have two others I bought in the 80s that are still in the boxes. Some day.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I had the Hunchback one.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can I get a shout-out for "The Crawling Eye?" Another one I really like, and saw on TV a few times as a kid. It becomes cheesy but has a nice, atmospheric beginning.

Sorry Hal, I didn't actually think you were that old, but, well, since I grew up in NYC being outside playing on Saturday morning wasn't a requirement! The glorious results of a misspent youth. TV, the glass teat.

I think I saw The Love Bug in a theater, and I know I saw Disney's "Million-Dollar Duck" in Radio City Music Hall. WTF?

those Aurora model kits of the old movie monsters.
    My brothers and I had a bunch of them. They were 98 cents at the local drugs store. I always thought the Creature from the Black Lagoon was the best one. I still have an unassembled Dracula in the original box. I remember the model brand Testors had a line of models called Weirdos. I had the surfer and dragster.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

About the Aurora models, I had all the ones mentioned, also King Kong and Godzilla. There was also one that was on a table and you pressed a button and it flipped, so it changed from a person into something - Dracula? The Mummy? I forget. I think this was called a "Zap Action" model, and there was also a Pirates of the Caribbean one. Rubber-band powered of course!

Oh, also had an Aurora model of a Sabre-Tooth Tiger and maybe a couple of other prehistoric creatures.

BTW, some of the monster ones had glow in the dark pieces you could use, or you could use the regular pieces.

I sucked at Aurora models. My ADD couldn't handle it. But I did complete one of a funky hearse in a graveyard. It later got broken in some horseplay downstairs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My brothers and I had a bunch of them. They were 98 cents at the local drugs store. I always thought the Creature from the Black Lagoon was the best one. I still have an unassembled Dracula in the original box. I remember the model brand Testors had a line of models called Weirdos. I had the surfer and dragster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I sucked at Aurora models. My ADD couldn't handle it. But I did complete one of a funky hearse in a graveyard. It later got broken in some horseplay downstairs.
    Is that Dracula in the original old Aurora box? $$

The two I have that are still unassembled are Frankenstein's Monster and The Phantom of the Opera. They are 80s versions that were molded with fluorescent transparent plastic. Same molds, though. There was a resurgences of all those old kits from Aurora and others. Many came out under the Polar Lights brand. Lots of memories here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22p...w=1460&bih=852
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

You cannot go wrong with any of these great movies on TCM Monday night:

8:00 PM Front Page, The (1931)

10:00 PM His Girl Friday (1940)

12:00 AM Strangers on a Train (1951)

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We had them all. Here's one I built about 25 years ago:
    That looks really good. Did you paint it yourself? I ask because I can remember my brothers painting their models and another kid in our neighborhood had a lot of fighter jets that were in service during Vietnam that he painted camouflage (this would have been ca. 1971). But I seem to recall that starting in the mid to late '70s model companies started using colored pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry Hal, I didn't actually think you were that old, but, well, since I grew up in NYC being outside playing on Saturday morning wasn't a requirement!
    lol. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My brothers and I had a bunch of them. They were 98 cents at the local drugs store.
    98˘ was a lot of money, back then. IIRC, Hot Wheels and Mattel cars were 69˘.

I'm pretty sure my brother had some other monster models but I can't remember which. For years they never got dusted and they had little cobwebs on them which only added an extra element of eeriness to them.

I remember the model brand Testors had a line of models called Weirdos. I had the surfer and dragster.
    Yeah, there was a fad that started in the early '60s where stuff got gory or weird, which is probably what influenced the Dead's flying eyeball. There was even an episode of Leave it to Beaver where Beaver and his friends got these sweatshirts with gory monsters on them. My brother had an album called Drop Dead that was a collection of old Arch Oboler radio plays from his 1930s radio show Lights Out. It even had "Chicken Heart" on it, the story Bill Cosby based a comedy bit on.

I know we've veered OT (sorry) but does anyone remember those old Kenner race cars?

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

That looks really good. Did you paint it yourself?
    Yep.

In fact, I have a bunch of model kits I bought many years ago that are still unassembled in the hopes that SOME DAY, I'll have a place in my house, and the time, to build them.

Off the top of my head, the list includes:

Frankenstein's Monster
    The Phantom of the Opera
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    The Addams Family House
    The Jetson's Car
    The Beatles' Yellow Submarine
    A 36-inch Stage Coach
    A balsa Red Baron Triplane

I don't know if I'll ever get to these.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep.

In fact, I have a bunch of model kits I bought many years ago that are still unassembled in the hopes that SOME DAY, I'll have a place in my house, and the time, to build them.

Off the top of my head, the list includes:

Frankenstein's Monster
    The Phantom of the Opera
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    The Addams Family House
    The Jetson's Car
    The Beatles' Yellow Submarine
    A 36-inch Stage Coach
    A balsa Red Baron Triplane

I don't know if I'll ever get to these.
    You should totally build some of those this holiday season, and vlog it for us! They don't take that long.

Hal, I didn't have those cars, but I did have Evel Knievel's Stunt Cycle and his Snake River Canyon Sky Cycle (with T-strips!) and had a blast with those.

Funny, I remember us all in elementary school talking about how "Evil Knievel's" name was Evil because it was Live spelled backwards, but Wikipedia says his name was spelled "Evel." Damn!

I remember that EK stunt cycle. But I can't remember if it was from a commercial or a friend had it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

You should totally build some of those this holiday season, and vlog it for us! They don't take that long.
    The way I build them, they do. I just don't have the room or time.

Funny, I remember us all in elementary school talking about how "Evil Knievel's" name was Evil because it was Live spelled backwards, but Wikipedia says his name was spelled "Evel." Damn!
    That reminds me of a time I saw him on The Mike Douglas Show. Mike made the same comment. The look on Evel's face was priceless.

Saw a great trivia question on Jeopardy the other night. The category was "Film & War".

The answer was "the New York premiere of this film was on Thanksgiving, 15 days after the liberation of its title place."

The question?

I wracked my brain for a good 10 minutes and couldn't come up with it.

My 19 yr old son is home from college, and he just put on “The Shop Around the Corner” which he watched while he was in college and liked. But apparently he didn’t know who James Stewart is! Holy cow! I guess he hasn't seen It's a Wonderful Life. I'll have to make sure he watches it this Christmas. Also, anyone have a favorite Jimmy Stewart western?

I WAS heartened that he said he's been trying to watch more old screwball comedies (especially since I was just watching My Man Godfrey this morning). That's definitely good news, but he probably doesn't know who Carey Grant is! I'm not sure if I ever shocked my father like that - I was more tuned in to the earlier actors, or I just didn't blurt out something like "Who's Gary Cooper?"
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-07-2018 at 05:56 PM.

My 19 yr old son is home from college, and he just put on “The Shop Around the Corner” which he watched while he was in college and liked. But apparently he didn’t know who James Stewart is! Holy cow! I guess he hasn't seen It's a Wonderful Life. I'll have to make sure he watches it this Christmas. Also, anyone have a favorite Jimmy Stewart western?

I WAS heartened that he said he's been trying to watch more old screwball comedies (especially since I was just watching My Man Godfrey this morning). That's definitely good news, but he probably doesn't know who Carey Grant is! I'm not sure if I ever shocked my father like that - I was more tuned in to the earlier actors, or I just didn't blurt out something like "Who's Gary Cooper?"
    He must watch "His Girl Friday" tomorrow night on TCM. It is iconic in the genre. The dialog between Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell is exhaustingly hilarious. This is as good as it gets.

Saw a great trivia question on Jeopardy the other night. The category was "Film & War".

The answer was "the New York premiere of this film was on Thanksgiving, 15 days after the liberation of its title place."

The question?

I wouldn't know where to begin.

^ Me neither. I'm thinking things like "Mission Burma," but really grasping at straws since whatever movies come to mind I probably haven't seen and don't even know when the're from.

Casablanca?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

An American in Paris?

All 5 of the Stewart / Mann collaberations are excellent, Bend In The River , The Far Country , Winchester ' 73 , The Man From Laramie , The Naked Spur . Its a 4 way tie for first with all but The Man From Laramie which is a very close second.
    For C Grant screwball comedies try your son on Arsenic And Old Lace , priceless. Of course Bringing Up Baby .
    The Shop Around The Cornern is good but I could never warm up to Margret Sullivan's character.

The question?

Something to do with Rome I bet.

Or ,as likely if not more , Paris. 1944 release? Eliminates Casablanca.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Or ,as likely if not more , Paris. 1944 release? Eliminates Casablanca.
    It was Casablanca, it was released Nov 26th 1942.

Operation Torch (8–16 November 1942, formerly Operation Gymnast) was an Anglo–American invasion of French North Africa, during the North African Campaign of the Second World War. Torch was the debut of the mass involvement of US troops in the European–North African Theatre.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 10-08-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All of you are wrong. The question is, "what is Casablanca?"

Yeah, it stumped the shit out of me. I had thought of Casablanca but dismissed it because it was under Vichy control, which was French, albeit a French government that collaborated with the Germans. I never knew that Vichy France was liberated like other occupied countries.