Page 40 of 160 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe you need to make out with Marilyn Monroe on a yacht until your glasses fog up.

I think the movie is perfect, and Tony Curtis taking on the Cary Grant persona when pretending to be a millionaire is hilarious. I really think the casting is perfect, and as I’ve mentioned before, the sexual escapades made a huge impression on me, in a good way. And the violence was visceral, but crucial to the plot. It’s really as perfect as The Wizard of Oz.
    No arguments.
    Another "perfect" movie for me is Its a Wonderful Life. Not a wasted frame.

Scott Walker retells Ingmar Bergman's 1957 masterpiece in just under 5 minutes. From "Scott 4" (1969)

Mother's Day feature all day on TCM. We're watching "Mildred Pierce" (1945) right now. A really great movie. Joan Crawford won a well-deserved Oscar.

After that is "Stella Dallas" (1937) with Barbara Stanwyck, a movie I've never seen.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

[QUOTE=JKL2000;804584]Maybe you need to make out with Marilyn Monroe on a yacht until your glasses fog up.

QUOTE]And she wouldn't even have to sing Happy Birthday or anything.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Perhaps, my favorite "modern" B&W movie is Manhattan. Jesus, talk about a gorgeous movie. Eraserhead and Pi are a couple more that look beautiful in B&W.

Ingmar Bergman's B&W movies are gorgeous too.
    I've not seen Manhattan either but that will soon end. As a modern B&W film, Eraserhead was probably state of the art. Orson Wells', Jane Eyre, 1943, looks pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    No arguments.
    Another "perfect" movie for me is Its a Wonderful Life. Not a wasted frame.
    Sometimes I think the only movies my sister has ever seen is, Wizard Of OZ and It's A Wonderful Life. Desert island material for her.

Speaking of Wells, what do we all think of Citizen Kane? Isn't it on soon or did I miss the train again?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Speaking of Wells, what do we all think of Citizen Kane? Isn't it on soon or did I miss the train again?
    Well, aren't you lucky! I just checked the TCM schedule and it's on tomorrow at 5:45 PM EST. That's the only listing, too. Weird, huh?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, aren't you lucky! I just checked the TCM schedule and it's on tomorrow at 5:45 PM EST. That's the only listing, too. Weird, huh?
    Great. Have you noticed that recently they run a film then just a few days later, run it again? Caged was on yesterday but was also on just a few days ago. As for CK, don't think I can remember anyone saying they didn't like it. As for B&W content, I put it on par with, The Third Man. Good but not great.

Great. Have you noticed that recently they run a film then just a few days later, run it again? Caged was on yesterday but was also on just a few days ago.
    That happens more by coincidence than anything. I don't think it's the norm. They'll run a movie and then later, they might have a theme night and run it again.

Speaking of Wells, what do we all think of Citizen Kane?
    The thing that draws me to a movie is if I enjoyed the story. Afterall, that is a part of the movie, right? I understand the movie's significance in the history of cinema but I didn't really enjoy the story. I think every serious movie buff should see it once, tho. Twice was enough for me.

One movie that I think was ahead of its time like Citizen Kane and that I also really enjoyed was Fritz Lang's M. It might be the first serial killer movie. Incidentally, Lang felt it was his finest film. It's also Peter Lorre's first major starring role.

Has anyone else seen this film?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The thing that draws me to a movie is if I enjoyed the story. Afterall, that is a part of the movie, right? I understand the movie's significance in the history of cinema but I didn't really enjoy the story. I think every serious movie buff should see it once, tho. Twice was enough for me.

One movie that I think was ahead of its time like Citizen Kane and that I also really enjoyed was Fritz Lang's M. It might be the first serial killer movie. Incidentally, Lang felt it was his finest film. It's also Peter Lorre's first major starring role.

I finally saw this within the last few years. I agree wit your take.

Great. Have you noticed that recently they run a film then just a few days later, run it again? Caged was on yesterday but was also on just a few days ago. As for CK, don't think I can remember anyone saying they didn't like it. As for B&W content, I put it on par with, The Third Man. Good but not great.
    The Third Man easly makes my personal top 10. If just for the Cuckcoo Clock speech.

Once, many years ago in a local theater.

Once, many years ago in a local theater.
    Either you remember little about it or you weren't impressed, judging by your lack of opinion.

I own it. Definitely one of the all time greats, imo.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Either you remember little about it or you weren't impressed, judging by your lack of opinion.

I own it. Definitely one of the all time greats, imo.
    I remember little about it. I could also be mixing it up with "Mad Love."

Tribute to Norma Jeane Mortenson

And she wouldn't even have to sing Happy Birthday or anything.
    Ha, really?

I don't know what my favorite B&W movie is...off the top of my head, Touch of Evil (1958) with Orson Welles impressed me.

or maybe Andrei Rublev (Russian: Андрей Рублёв)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    Ha, really?

I don't know what my favorite B&W movie is...off the top of my head, Touch of Evil (1958) with Orson Welles impressed me.

or maybe Andrei Rublev (Russian: Андрей Рублёв)
    You know Tommy, I think Ann Francis would give her a run for her money. For Marilyn, I think it was largely a case of mostly mystique. (Hiding under the bed now).

You know Tommy, I think Ann Francis would give her a run for her money. For Marilyn, I think it was largely a case of mostly mystique. (Hiding under the bed now).
    Nah. The woman had sex appeal galore.

If you're talking Golden Age (30s-50s) of Hollywood bombshells, I'd go with Hedy Lamarr. But there were quite a few in the running: Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Jane Russell, etc. Some might put Liz Taylor in that group but Liz, while gorgeous and sexy, was not a bombshell, imo.

And then there are what my mom called the sexpots from the 20s & 30s: Joan Blondell, Clara Bow, Jean Harlow, etc. Jean Harlow supposedly was the first to be called a "bombshell". The way she moved in some of those slinky gowns she wore... goddamn. Harlow's problem, tho, was that she wasn't that good looking.

Nah. The woman had sex appeal galore.

If you're talking Golden Age (30s-50s) of Hollywood bombshells, I'd go with Hedy Lamarr.

Didn't I just do that to you recently?

Didn't I just do that to you recently?
    Hmmm. Did you?

Hmmm. Did you?
    No, that wasn't you. But I did post a YT vid of something similar.

Can't ever think of Hedy Lamarr w/out thinking of Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No, that wasn't you. But I did post a YT vid of something similar.

Can't ever think of Hedy Lamarr w/out thinking of Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles.
    Same here. Usually followed in my mind by

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A couple nights ago TCM showed one of my favorite b&w movies, Gold Diggers of 1933. It's got it all. Skimpily clad chorus girls (hubba hubba), wise-cracking babes, stuffy Warren William, cigar chomping Ned Sparks, tipsy embarrassed Guy Kibbee, "We're in the Money" sung in pig-latin by Ginger Rogers, bootleggers, Busby Berkeley numbers, bold statements on the Depression, and 9-year-old Billy Barty breaking the fourth wall.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.