Page 38 of 160 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hump Day Funnies:

Watching "Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde" with Tracy right now on TCM. Ingrid Bergman is so hot in that movie. I still prefer the two versions that preceded this one (Barrymore and March), but, it's still great.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Watched the first half of "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" with Bogart and Barbara Stanwyck this morning. Pretty intense! Not sure I've seen Bogey play a true bad guy before (spoiler?). Not the first film in which a glass of milk has spelled DANGER.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Watching "Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde" with Tracy right now on TCM. Ingrid Bergman is so hot in that movie. I still prefer the two versions that preceded this one (Barrymore and March), but, it's still great.

Yes sir, yes sir.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Watching "Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde" with Tracy right now on TCM. Ingrid Bergman is so hot. I still prefer the two versions that preceded this one (Barrymore and March), but, it's still great.

Fixed that 2nd sentence for ya.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Fixed that 2nd sentence for ya.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just watched Captain Blood, released in 1935, very well done and was the movie that launched Errol Flynn.

Did some research on the movie after watching it, there was a guy named Ross Alexander that played a supporting role in the film and I was saddened to read that he killed himself a couple years after the movie, while Errol Flynn lived another 24 years and made many, many more movies. And perhaps best of all, is that the young and beautiful co-star; Olivia de Havilland is still alive at 101 and out-lived Errol by nearly 60 years...!

Half decent lineup on TCM tonight:

Casablanca

Mildred Pierce

Yankeee Doodle Dandy

Who needs NetFlix?

Have we gone over, Repulsion, with Catherine Deneuve? It was on the other night and I forgot to bring it up. Beautiful B&W print. Carole certainly had her problems.

Half decent lineup on TCM tonight:

Casablanca

Mildred Pierce

Yankeee Doodle Dandy

Who needs NetFlix?
    I just can't explain it. Casablanca, after all these years, still does nothing for me. Help!

Banned
    Nobody's mentioned Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf? One of the all time greats IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I just can't explain it. Casablanca, after all these years, still does nothing for me. Help!
    Different strokes, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Nobody's mentioned Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf? One of the all time greats IMO.

A fat beautiful woman. She had a drinking buddy and bug juice will put on that weight.

Ingrid Bergman doesn’t do much for me, but the movie is great, IMO. I need to see it again though, it’s been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ingrid Bergman doesn’t do much for me...
    Of course not. This is more your style, isn't it?

Attachment 11533
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ingrid Bergman doesn’t do much for me
    I can see how some don't find her demeanor exciting enough. Have you seen her in "Jekyl & Hyde"?

Sorry, but I can't resist posting this one from the 1932 Jekyl & Hyde with March.

Notice how his face changes at the beginning of the transformation. They used makeup that changed with the lighting. His performance was incredible and got a well-deserved Oscar.

Bergman was smoking, and Casablanca is classic Hollywood magic. Everything about it , the tech , directing , editing , the casting from the leads to the smallest character acted role is perfect, the dialoge ,electric. It all comes together in a rare sort of perfection.

There's a story about during the making the Bells of St Mary's, a friend of Bing Crosby was visiting the set. Ingrid was wandering around in her habit, looking devastating. Bing asked his buddy "would you do her even if she was a nun?" "Hell, I'd jump her even if she were a rabbi."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Ingrid Bergman has what I can only describe as a sort of “prissiness” that’s almost always a turnoff for me. I’m talking about her as an actor - I’m not saying I wouldn’t have “done” her! Another more modern female actor who comes to mind in the same way is Helena Bonham Carter. A lot of people find her attractive, but a sort of frailty usually comes across that I just dislike. Definitely prefer a character such as someone like Lauren Bacall would portray.

Definitely prefer a character such as someone like Lauren Bacall would portray.
    Sultry.

Just caught the last 40 minutes or so if Tarzan Triumphs (1943). Tarzan, a girl named Zander’s, and Boy battling Nazis in the jungle! How come Cheeta has a name, but Boy doesn’t?

Ava Gardner blew them all away.
    You might want to check out the last scene of On the Wings of a Dove before you dismiss Helena Bonham Carter completely...

Some recent B&W oldies I've seen:

The More the Merrier (1943). Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, and Charles Coburn star in this wartime era movie that takes place in Wash DC where there's a housing shortage. Coburn talks Arthur into letting him rent half of her apartment. He then rents half of his half to McCrea who becomes the love interest of Arthur. I was hoping it would turn into a kind of comedy of errors, what with 3 people sharing one small apartment, but it didn't go that way. Not a bad movie, but nothing great either. Arthur was nominated for an Oscar, altho I'm not sure why, and Coburn actually won. 2˝ stars.

My Man Godfrey (1936). Stars Carole Lombard and William Powell. Powell is a guy down on his luck during the depression who's given the job of butler by the wealthy Lombard to work at the home of her eccentric family. This is a highly regarded screwball comedy. Personally, I didn't regard it that highly and as screwball comedies go, it's not very screwy. Powell and Gail Patrick (as Lombard's sister), are the best things about this movie. 3 stars. Probably would have been 4 had George Cukor directed.

The Stranger (1946). Stars Orson Welles (who also directed), Edward G Robinson, and Loretta Young. Robinson is a Fed working for the War Crimes Commission just after WWII. He tracks an associate of escaped Nazi Franz Kindler (Welles) to a small town in Connecticut. Kindler is incognito as history teacher Charles Rankin who marries Loretta Young. It's considered film noir but it's quite different than your typical film noir movie. There's really nothing wrong with it but nothing particularly special about it, either. 2˝ stars.

Ingrid Bergman has what I can only describe as a sort of “prissiness” that’s almost always a turnoff for me. I’m talking about her as an actor - I’m not saying I wouldn’t have “done” her! Another more modern female actor who comes to mind in the same way is Helena Bonham Carter. A lot of people find her attractive, but a sort of frailty usually comes across that I just dislike. Definitely prefer a character such as someone like Lauren Bacall would portray.
    In the film Fight Club, Helena Bonham Carter did do a fine reading of the line " I haven't been fucked like that since grade school"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart