Page 37 of 159 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Saturday night funnies

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Always a favorite scene!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Am I wrong or do the elephants in Tarzan and his Mate have fake ears? Maybe they’re really Indian elephants?
    Indian elephants are larger but have smaller ears than African elephants.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Looks like Lucille Ball.
    You got it. The movie was Stage Door. The first time I saw it, I was knocked out at how pretty Hepburn is and how cute Lucy and Ann Miller are in it.

I loved the Marx Bros as a kid. For some reason, tho, they never held up for me. Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy, however...

This should start at around 1:00 (make sure to turn off "annotations" in the settings, to get rid of that rectangle in the middle):

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

And speaking of the Marx Bros...

Sun’s Secretary Recalls Him as a Shrewd Businessman
    By Andrew McGinn, News-Sun Staff Writer
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 SPRINGFIELD

If there needs to be further justification for the painting of a 6,000-square-foot mural on the back of a downtown building of some guy juggling, try this: in 1947, it was reported that Warner Bros. was thinking about making a movie based on the life of that guy.

Gustave Ferdinand Klotz. Better known as Gus Sun.

Sun later said that he wanted Bob Hope to play him in the movie, which would've been appropriate, as the ruler of a vast vaudeville empire centered in Springfield, Sun gave Hope his first break.
    Only the movie never happened, presumably because it would've been a casting nightmare.

Sun also helped the Marx Brothers, the Ritz Brothers, W.C. Fields, Al Jolson, Will Rogers, George Burns, Bert Lahr (the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz) and Edgar Bergen (and his puppet, Charlie McCarthy) on their way to fame.

But the biggest, most logical, question remains, who would've played his secretary? After all, it only seems fair to include the woman who took his dictation, got him tickets every year to the Kentucky Derby, hired bandleader Glen Gray to play his 50th wedding anniversary and addressed all 500 of his Christmas cards.

"I'd love to see that address list now," said Ginny Snyder, who worked as Sun's secretary for close to a decade. "If I looked at the list, it'd all come back to me."

At age 84, Snyder is one of the last links (quite possibly the last) to the Gus Sun Booking Agency, the now-defunct theatrical institution that chose Springfield as its home in 1906.
    "I don't feel like it," she said.

Increasingly, the mural-in-progress on the back of the vacant Regent Theatre, home to Sun's agency from 1920 onward, is just another piece of public art dedicated to someone nobody actually knew.
    "He loved to talk about the old days," recalled Snyder, who went to work for Sun in 1942. "I'd give the world to have the stuff he dictated to me."
    At the time, it was the twilight of Sun's dynasty.

"When I went up there, the vaudeville days were over," Snyder said. "It was the end of an era."

Once believed to have been the nation's largest individual user of telegraph and telephone services, the agency was down to three offices (in Springfield, Detroit and Des Moines) from a high of 10.
    During the heyday of vaudeville, the Sun booking agency had provided a circuit of 275 theaters with entertainers, many of whom became world famous. According to legend, Sun once visited a Hollywood set and realized that 12 of the 17 people there once worked for him. But by the early 1940s, the agency had switched to booking acts into county and state fairs.

"We had high-wire acts," Snyder said. "We had the Sensational Kays." They were a husband and wife high-wire act. "She wore pantaloons," Snyder said, "so nobody could tell she was pregnant."
    There were flying acts, dog acts, juggling acts and more. "One of the most elaborate acts was Will Hill's Elephants," Snyder said. The name probably speaks for itself. "Then there were the Zacchinis," she said. "They were the people who got shot out of a cannon."

The agency might've just been a shell of its former self, but Sun was still at the helm, although most of the daily work had been overseen since 1930 by general manager Bob Shaw, a former vaudevillian himself. "When I went up there, at 19, (Sun) was getting ready to celebrate his 75th birthday," Snyder said. "He was wonderful to me. All of them were wonderful to me. In those days, people didn't think that show people were all that great. I liked them because they were themselves. Show people are just different. They accept you for your face value."

And as a hunter and avid cook, Sun could whip up some mean hasenpfeffer (pickled rabbit). When someone floated the idea of writing a book about Sun's life - like the movie, it never happened - he called on his secretary to dictate the details of his life.

"He never dictated a little," Snyder said. "He'd get started…"

A Toledo native, he told of opening Springfield's first movie theater in 1904, and how, in order to convey to people that it was a family-friendly endeavor, he parked a baby buggy outside.
    "He was shrewd," said Snyder, who still uses shorthand to this day. "He wasn't educated, but he was shrewd." He talked often of Bob Hope, one of his vaudeville success stories.
    "He loved to talk about Bob Hope," Snyder said. "I used to write to Bob Hope at least once a year. He liked to have that feeling, that he gave him his start."

Hope wasn't the only one; Snyder remembers plenty of autographed photos on Sun's office wall, from the likes of singer Sophie Tucker, bandleader Ted Lewis and Fanny Brice, the comedian whose life later inspired the musical "Funny Girl."

For Snyder, who eventually left the agency in 1951 to start a family (Sun died in 1959 at age 90), it was as close to a dream job as she would get. "I was always just fascinated with carnivals," she said. "I said I always wanted to work for the circus, and I would have in a minute."

True to the mural, by Yellow Springs artist Jason Morgan, Sun might have become a millionaire impresario, but once a circus juggler always a circus juggler, even behind closed office doors.

"Every once in a while," Snyder said, "you'd hear those balls go thump, thump."

The Regent was where I got my first job, at 16. Loved that place.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^^ That's a cool story.

Going on a semi-related tangent, if any of you find carnival and circus acts interesting, you have to check out this book by Ricky Jay.

Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ That's a cool story.

Going on a semi-related tangent, if any of you find carnival and circus acts interesting, you have to check out this book by Ricky Jay.

I have it, somewhere! I seem to recall that it was OOP and kind of sought after.

I have it, somewhere! I seem to recall that it was OOP and kind of sought after.
    Plenty of used copies available on Amazon.

^^ That's a cool story.

I have it. A friend gave it to me about 20 years ago; knew I was into carnival oddities.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Here's some pretty weird shit:

Don't mind the narration.

We don't cover silent film enough here.

Plenty of used copies available on Amazon.
    Ok, well this was before the Internet!

I'm curious--does that carnival book cover 60s sexploitation filmmaker and long time carnival barker David Freidman (ie Something Weird video etc).
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-18-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm curious--does that carnival book cover 60s sexploitation filmmaker and long time carnival barker David Freidman (ie Something Weird video etc).
    No.

Wow, have I missed a lot. You guys have been talking some great films. I was amused at the Tarzan conversation as I remember seeing, Tarzan Goes To New York. That was a hoot and a fun movie when I was a kid. The Marx Brothers cabin scene is classic and the carnival book looks interesting. Come to think of it, the circus never came to our little town but the carnival came almost every year.
    The older I get, the better I was.

For any of you night owls out there, "King Kong" is on TCM at 11:45 pm tonight.

I don't even bother watching the other versions. Did I see another, The Thing, remake from 2009 or was it 2011? Just a goor fest but I will admit to like watching the aliens mate with humans. The make up jobs are very good.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Funny that it's on again so soon, but certainly a good thing!

Not B&W, but back in the day, before cable and Betamax, my Dad rented a movie projector, screen, and the musical Annie Get Your Gun on 16mm (I think), and we watched it every day for a week! Good thinking, Dad! I absolutely love this number:

Last edited by JKL2000; 03-24-2018 at 08:16 PM.

I just noticed that "Sunset Boulevard" and "Stalag 17" are on TCM tonight.

I just noticed that "Sunset Boulevard" and "Stalag 17" are on TCM tonight.
    William Holden Month.

There are some great ones coming up. My favorite ("The Adventures of Robin Hood") is on this week followed by "Captain Blood."

I love Stalag 17. William Holden's finest moment, imo.

There are some great ones coming up. My favorite ("The Adventures of Robin Hood") is on this week followed by "Captain Blood."
    Tonight for these two. Two great swashbucklers.

^ Thanks for the reminder! Either my wife or I scheduled Robin Hood, but I just added Captain Blood. That one’s B&W, isn’t it?

^ Thanks for the reminder! Either my wife or I scheduled Robin Hood, but I just added Captain Blood. That one’s B&W, isn’t it?
    Yep. It's another great pairing with Olivia de Havilland, plus Rathbone, too.