Page 30 of 159 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Wonderful German Expressionism.
    Last edited by ronmac; 02-02-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Stunning special effects from 1927.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Regarding TCM's Oscar month, The Hustler is on tomorrow night at 1 am. A very good movie starring one of America's 2 or 3 best actors: Paul Newman. Also stars Jackie Gleeson as Minnesota Fats. What I always found interesting about the movie is that the technical advisor was Willie Mosconi, the long time rival to the real Minnesota Fats.

And on Monday morning at 6:45 is The Sorrow and the Pity, a documentary about the collaboration between the French Vichy government and the Nazis. I have yet to see it but I know it's been long considered one of the best movies made.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Wonderful German Expressionism.
    Saw that for the first time a couple years ago. Have since borrowed it from the local library twice. Absolutely fantastic, literally and figuratively. All those weird angles, crooked doors, jagged streets; just wonderful.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Saw that for the first time a couple years ago. Have since borrowed it from the local library twice. Absolutely fantastic, literally and figuratively. All those weird angles, crooked doors, jagged streets; just wonderful.
    I use this as a desktop picture on my computer.

caligari-desktop.jpg

One of the iconic images of silent horror.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was going to say, King Kong was viscerally violent and made quite an impression on me when I was a kid. Especially the scene where he breaks that dino’s jaw and you can see the blood flow.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was going to say, King Kong was viscerally violent and made quite an impression on me when I was a kid. Especially the scene where he breaks that dino’s jaw and you can see the blood flow.
    And for the longest time, on tv anyway, a lot of the more aggressive scenes were cut.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    And for the longest time, on tv anyway, a lot of the more aggressive scenes were cut.
    Luckily, scenes that were deliberately darkened were brightened up and most cut scenes have been restored, except for the most infamous one of all, the spider pit attack. That one is lost forever. But, hats off to Peter Jackson for recreating it.

Luckily, scenes that were deliberately darkened were brightened up and most cut scenes have been restored, except for the most infamous one of all, the spider pit attack. That one is lost forever. But, hats off to Peter Jackson for recreating it.

Problems, problems problems!

Banned
    I use this as a desktop picture on my computer.

caligari-desktop.jpg

One of the iconic images of silent horror.
    Absa-fricken'-loutely - a seminal film and I'd say not only iconic but revolutionary.

Tonight in TCM at 8:00 EST

Only a true movie fan watches movies in black and white
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Lucky Man

Ronmac, I did not even know this existed. Thanks so much. Sometimes we fall into the trap of thinking there is no longer anything new under the sun, when right there under our nose is something new about something we thought we knew so well.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Ronmac, I did not even know this existed. Thanks so much. Sometimes we fall into the trap of thinking there is no longer anything new under the sun, when right there under our nose is something new about something we thought we knew so well.
    Yep, that was an added feature on the Peter Jackson DVD. He did a pretty convincing job of it. He worked from the original script and scene stills.

That original scene was intact until they pre-screened it to audiences prior to release. They were so horrified, that it was cut and lost forever.

We switched back and forth between Baby Jane and the Olympics last night. It's hard to root for Blanche surviving when you know what a righteous bitch Joan Crawford was. Bette Davis was a piece of work as well but not to that extreme. I forgot how ambiguous the ending was on whether Blanche survives.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We switched back and forth between Baby Jane and the Olympics last night. It's hard to root for Blanche surviving when you know what a righteous bitch Joan Crawford was. Bette Davis was a piece of work as well but not to that extreme. I forgot how ambiguous the ending was on whether Blanche survives.
    That scene where Bette Davis kills the visiting housekeeper is sooo well done. You don't see anything but Joan's reaction while tied to the bed and gagged. It's pretty powerful.

I'm a huge fan of both of those legendary actors.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yep, that was an added feature on the Peter Jackson DVD. He did a pretty convincing job of it. He worked from the original script and scene stills.

That original scene was intact until they pre-screened it to audiences prior to release. They were so horrified, that it was cut and lost forever.
    I thought the insect pit scene in Peter Jackson's own King Kong was disappointed, because I was expecting spiders, which I would have found much more interesting and scary than what he did use. I always find that hairless spiders give the best scare value, and everything else is sort of a letdown. And those worm things didn't work too well for me. But I do need to rewatch that whole movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought the insect pit scene in Peter Jackson's own King Kong was disappointed, because I was expecting spiders, which I would have found much more interesting and scary than what he did use. I always find that hairless spiders give the best scare value, and everything else is sort of a letdown. And those worm things didn't work too well for me. But I do need to rewatch that whole movie.
    The movie is a technical marvel. Naomi Watts is the only highlight for me, though. And even then...

See how it holds up after 85 years.

That scene where Bette Davis kills the visiting housekeeper is sooo well done. You don't see anything but Joan's reaction while tied to the bed and gagged. It's pretty powerful.

I'm a huge fan of both of those legendary actors.
    I saw that movie a long time ago, when I was still a teen, and even then found it campy. But what I was intrigued by most was the casting of the two leads: two women who absolutely hated each other.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I saw that movie a long time ago, when I was still a teen, and even then found it campy. But what I was intrigued by most was the casting of the two leads: two women who absolutely hated each other.
    "You should never say bad things about the dead, only good… Joan Crawford is dead. Good.”
    -- Bette Davis upon hearing of Joan Crawford's death

Not sure if this is myth or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Only a true movie fan watches movies in black and white
    I know people totally into movies that absolutely refuse to watch anything not in color. I grew up watching old movies in the 60's and 70's on a BW TV. So fortunately for me I have no such aversion. Consequenly I have had the privalige of enjoying the likes of The Maltese Falcon, High Noon , Its a Wonderful Life, and countless other true classics. An experience I would have missed had I insisted on the inclusion of the color red. Not my loss, the danger of contempt prior to investigation.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched In Cold Blood '67 yesterday, pretty dark docudrama based on a Capote book. The senselessness off it really came through.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I know people totally into movies that absolutely refuse to watch anything not in color.
    I know someone like that. To think of all the amazing flicks she's missed.

Tonight in TCM at 8:00 EST
    This is one film I've never been able to warm up to. Maybe it's just the story itself. If it's on, fine, but I'm willing to change the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I know people totally into movies that absolutely refuse to watch anything not in color. I grew up watching old movies in the 60's and 70's on a BW TV. So fortunately for me I have no such aversion. Consequenly I have had the privalige of enjoying the likes of The Maltese Falcon, High Noon , Its a Wonderful Life, and countless other true classics. An experience I would have missed had I insisted on the inclusion of the color red. Not my loss, the danger of contempt prior to investigation.
    I know it's true and I still find it hard to believe. To section yourself off from what I believe to be some of the greatest films ever. In your opinion, is it the stories, the age of the film or just not seeing these colors that causes them to reject it?