Page 23 of 160 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Robert Ryan? Another can of bad. Bad Day at Black Rock was a star packed affair. Ryan, Spencer Tracy, Lee Marvin, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine, Dean Jagger and introducing a young and eager, Ann Francis. Hour of the Gun with James Garner. The Wild Bunch. Just a dirt bag.
    I'd say Ryan isn't a dirt bag in The Wild Bunch (although he is pretty dirty).

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I'd say Ryan isn't a dirt bag in The Wild Bunch (although he is pretty dirty).
    Oh, didn't mean to imply he was a bad guy in TWB. Was just mentioning one of his better know films. Lots of war and westerns to his credit.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Ryan was a huge presence in noir films in 50's. Its a long list with many starring roles. The films are mostly topnotch.His 2 main charactors, just plain mean, and mean and conflicted. On the same level as a Robert Mitchum, see his name in the cdedits,watch it, most likely worth your time. As the noir movement faded and he grew older he did more westerns and war pics. He definitely could project an unhinged lethality.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Ryan was a huge presence in noir films in 50's. Its a long list with many starring roles. The films are mostly topnotch.His 2 main charactors, just plain mean, and mean and conflicted. On the same level as a Robert Mitchum, see his name in the cdedits,watch it, most likely worth your time. As the noir movement faded and he grew older he did more westerns and war pics. He definitely could project an unhinged lethality.
    Well, he certainly was conflicted in Lawman with Burt Lancaster. He was the law but hated the law. He was bought by a bad man named Lee J. Cobb who himself, is no stranger to being a bad man. See 12 Angry Men and On The Waterfront for proof.

If any of you are into silent cinema, this blog is great. This guy can really write. (I may have posted this earlier, but it's worth repeating.)

http://silent-volume.blogspot.com

I was wondering if a silent movie thread would last very long on PE.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Seldom seen noir this morning (Sunday) on TCM. Framed. Glenn Ford and an evil scheming noirish femme fatal. Looks good, hoping to get someone to dvr it while at work. I don't think I've ever seen this one.
    10am

Another truly great B&W movie begins at Noon on TCM: "The Front Page" (1931).
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ugh, did I miss some good film. Hard weekend.

So TCM is celebrating Halloween with horror movies. The star of the month is Dracula with movies every Sunday night, beginning this week with:

8:00 pm Dracula (1931)
    9:30 PM Dracula's Daughter (1936)
    10:46 PM Son of Dracula (1943)
    12:30 AM Nosferatu (1922)

Tuesdays are also horror nights beginning this week with:

8:00 PM Frankenstein (1931)
    9:30 PM Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    11:00 PM Mummy, The (1932)
    12:30 AM Wolf Man, The (1941)
    2:00 AM Island of Lost Souls (1933)
    3:30 AM Black Cat, The (1934)
    4:45 AM Invisible Man, The (1933)

It's gonna be a fun month.

I can still remember the first time I saw Nosferatu, 40some years ago. Man, what an excellent film.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I can still remember the first time I saw Nosferatu, 40some years ago. Man, what an excellent film.
    Yeah, it's pretty great for sure. We're so lucky that all copies weren't destroyed when they were ordered to after Bram Stoker's wife won a copyright lawsuit over it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So TCM is celebrating Halloween with horror movies. The star of the month is Dracula with movies every Sunday night, beginning this week with:

8:00 pm Dracula (1931)
    9:30 PM Dracula's Daughter (1936)
    10:46 PM Son of Dracula (1943)
    12:30 AM Nosferatu (1922)

Tuesdays are also horror nights beginning this week with:

8:00 PM Frankenstein (1931)
    9:30 PM Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    11:00 PM Mummy, The (1932)
    12:30 AM Wolf Man, The (1941)
    2:00 AM Island of Lost Souls (1933)
    3:30 AM Black Cat, The (1934)
    4:45 AM Invisible Man, The (1933)

It's gonna be a fun month.
    Cool, thanks for the tip! I've never seen The Black Cat, need to watch that one, and of course several others of these classics.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the tip! I've never seen The Black Cat, need to watch that one, and of course several others of these classics.
    "The Cabinet of Dr, Caligari" is the following week.

The Hammer Films are on the third Sunday of the month. (Blood and boobs!)

"The Cabinet of Dr, Caligari" is the following week.

The Hammer Films are on the third Sunday of the month. (Blood and boobs!)
    Your certainly right about the Hammer films. We all know what sells. The good Dr. says he never saw The Black Cat but like the Invisible Man, they were well done. Good stuff.

I watched The Public Enemy on-demand last night. Wow, was Cagney great. Not until White Heat does he play such a psychotic criminal again. That scene with the grapefruit - priceless! And Joan Blondell - hubba hubba. I'll take her over Jean Harlow any day.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Lucky Man
    Hammer films. Is Horror Of Dracula still the greatest vampire film ever made?

*turns to dust blown away on the wind*
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I watched The Public Enemy on-demand last night. Wow, was Cagney great. Not until White Heat does he play such a psychotic criminal again. That scene with the grapefruit - priceless! And Joan Blondell - hubba hubba. I'll take her over Jean Harlow any day.
    That grapefruit scene has become iconic. I've seen it mixed in with a lot of quick shot TCM promotions and the like. Joan had a name out there but I never knew much about her. Ronmac and I are still stuck on the blonde in To Have And Have Not.

Lucky Man
    Bogey breaks the third wall just long enough to "put his lips together and blow."
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Yeah, it's pretty great for sure. We're so lucky that all copies weren't destroyed when they were ordered to after Bram Stoker's wife won a copyright lawsuit over it.
    Wow, am I behind. Never knew any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Hammer films. Is Horror Of Dracula still the greatest vampire film ever made?

*turns to dust blown away on the wind*
    One of them. I think "Nosferatu" is still tops.

I think "Nosferatu" is still tops.
    It is definitely the most creepy even tho I think Dracula is a better looking film (I was never really wowed by German Expressionist filmmaking, other than Fritz Lang's M). Another thing I always liked about Nosferatu was that there are some minor inconsistencies with the appearance of Count Orlock, which I think only adds to its effectiveness because of the supposed mystery surrounding the making of it.

I never saw Herzog's remake. It's supposed to be really good. Is it?

And what about Shadow of the Vampire, the movie about the making of Nosferatu? Is it any good?

One of my favorite vampire movies is The Hunger, with Catherine Deneuve. It's a bit slow but David Bowie's aging scene was excellent. And, of course, the love scene between Deneuve and Susan Sarandon was a plus.

I also loved the TV movie The Night Stalker as a kid.

Another favorite, even tho it's a comedy, is Love at First Bite, with George Hamilton, Richard Benjamin, and Susan Saint James. One of the best scenes:

I also remember going to the drive-in as a teenager for a triple bill of lesbian vampire movies, which were all just so-so. I don't remember any of the titles but I'll never forget the subtitle for one: "their lips are wet and very red" (or something like that).
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

It is definitely the most creepy even tho I think Dracula is a better looking film (I was never really wowed by German Expressionist filmmaking, other than Fritz Lang's M). Another thing I always liked about Nosferatu was that there are some minor inconsistencies with the appearance of Count Orlock, which I think only adds to its effectiveness because of the supposed mystery surrounding the making of it.
    I agree, the Universal film is beautiful. I just watched it for the umpteenth time and continue to be amazed by the sets.

I never saw Herzog's remake. It's supposed to be really good. Is it?

And what about Shadow of the Vampire, the movie about the making of Nosferatu? Is it any good?
    I've seen neither.

I also loved the TV movie The Night Stalker as a kid.
    Yes! I loved that! Too bad the show didn't hold a candle to it.

There was also an excellent CBS TV movie remake with Jack Palance that was really good.

Happened to run across 12 Angry Men today on the local PBS channel. It was listed as the remake but turned out to be the original. Haven't seen it in years, even tho I own it. Was actually kinda moved by Lee J Cobb's performance. Man, what an excellent movie; ranks in my top 5.

Yes! I loved that! Too bad the show didn't hold a candle to it.
    I lost interest in it after an episode or two. And The Night Strangler, a sequel, wasn't very good, either.

There was also an excellent CBS TV movie remake with Jack Palance that was really good.
    Do you mean the 1974 TV movie? I hadn't heard of it but after looking it up, it's vaguely familiar. BTW, it was written by Richard Matheson, so that bodes well.

Happened to run across 12 Angry Men today on the local PBS channel. It was listed as the remake but turned out to be the original. Haven't seen it in years, even tho I own it. Was actually kinda moved by Lee J Cobb's performance. Man, what an excellent movie; ranks in my top 5.
    Indeed, one of the best ever. That's one of those few movies I just have to watch every time it's on.

Do you mean the 1974 TV movie? I hadn't heard of it but after looking it up, it's vaguely familiar. BTW, it was written by Richard Matheson, so that bodes well.
    Yep. I think I've seen this once since the original broadcast. I understand it still holds up pretty well, but it's been a long time since I've seen it myself. I didn't realize Matheson wrote it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Shadow of the Vampire is definitely worth seeing, and pretty wacky.