Page 15 of 160 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    My favorite Colman, Lost Horizon. And its BW fitting of the thread.
    It was just on TCM last night. Hope you caught it!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It was just on TCM last night. Hope you caught it!
    sss

Missed it but have it on disc. Escapist movie about escapism. Always found the premise of the flick intreging .

All right, I'll take one more run at this. Was Grace Kelly right for the part in High Noon?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    All right, I'll take one more run at this. Was Grace Kelly right for the part in High Noon?
    Meh.............

Meh.............
    Agreed.

My favorite role of hers was Jimmy Stewart's girlfriend in Rear Window.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Agreed.

My favorite role of hers was Jimmy Stewart's girlfriend in Rear Window.
    Agreed. Runner up; To Catch A Thief .

Yeah, I think you guys are right.

Each Dawn I Die.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If Ronald Colman is being suggested for NBNW it would have been difficult, he died in 1958. Also he was not as good a fit as Grant IMO. I don't think anyone would have been as good a fit.
    My favorite Colman, Lost Horizon. And its BW fitting of the thread.
    No one was suggesting him for NBNW.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No one was suggesting him for NBNW.
    My bad.

For some reason I don't remember that movie very well. But you're probably right.

But oh, man, was she so beautiful and so sensual in Rear Window. She's half the reason I love that movie so much. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For some reason I don't remember that movie very well. But you're probably right.

But oh, man, was she so beautiful and so sensual in Rear Window. She's half the reason I love that movie so much. lol
    If you liked Her Serene Highness in Rear Window, you will have the same reaction in To Catch A Thief. The color is lush, the camara as flattering to Ms Kelly as in Rear Window. She was an exceptional Beauty in a place with no shortage of beauty. These 2 movies show her at her best.

I watched "To Have and Have Not" last night. Bogey and luscious, 19-year-old Bacall's first pairing. A great movie.

She was so effing hot.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I watched "To Have and Have Not" last night. Bogey and luscious, 19-year-old Bacall's first pairing. A great movie.

She was so effing hot.
    Slim was hot but the girl in THAHN, the wife of the guy they were hiding in the basement, deserves special mention on the heat scale.

Another big name of the times was Tyrone Power. He was great in Witness for the Prosecution of course but that movie had some other great actors that it benefited from. Blood and Sand got a lot of press but he did a movie called Mississippi Gambler which I thought was a lot of fun.

Slim was hot but the girl in THAHN, the wife of the guy they were hiding in the basement, deserves special mention on the heat scale.
    Yep, I was going to mention her, but was too lazy to look her up.

Delores Moran

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dolo...w=1440&bih=793

Yep, I was going to mention her, but was too lazy to look her up.

Delores Moran

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dolo...w=1440&bih=793
    Well, I certainly enjoyed looking through her photos and ah, related materials.

Another big name of the times was Tyrone Power. He was great in Witness for the Prosecution of course but that movie had some other great actors that it benefited from. Blood and Sand got a lot of press but he did a movie called Mississippi Gambler which I thought was a lot of fun.
    If just mentioning big names from the period at random , the list would be incomplete without including Robert Mitchum. He practically was RKO studio by himself. Long carreer with some stellar movies to his credit.

If just mentioning big names from the period at random , the list would be incomplete without including Robert Mitchum. He practically was RKO studio by himself. Long carreer with some stellar movies to his credit.
    You do have a point in just bring up names but of course, they are attached to movies. Robert Mitchum? Cape Fear. Strong, not so silent type.

Mad Max Fury Road Chrome Edition, or Logan Noir, anyone?

I really enjoyed seeing these films in black and white - they really did take on a whole new look and vibe.

Makes me think of Neo-Noir. 3 examples off the top; Chinatown, a crown jewel of neo noir. The recent The Nice Guys, actually retro neo-noir with its 70s vibe , maybe too much levity for true n-n. But I liked it. Then theres a favorite , the underappreciated Devil In A Blue Dress with Denzel Washington. Hits the classic noir themes with plenty of twists, conspiracy , 1 man against the world for the sake of principle goings on. I really liked it when I first discovered it. Heres a 4th ,just thought of but cant leave out. LA Confidential. That movie kicks noir ass.
    Anyone add to this? Theres probably a bunch I missed. Although we are talking color in a BW thread...........

You do have a point in just bring up names but of course, they are attached to movies. Robert Mitchum? Cape Fear. Strong, not so silent type.
    The seriously demented preacher in Night Of The Hunter. Mitchum did bad really good. One of the creepier villians of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Mad Max Fury Road Chrome Edition, or Logan Noir, anyone?

I really enjoyed seeing these films in black and white - they really did take on a whole new look and vibe.
    Love FR and you can bet I'll be looking for this addition. Thanks.

Makes me think of Neo-Noir. 3 examples off the top; Chinatown, a crown jewel of neo noir. The recent The Nice Guys, actually retro neo-noir with its 70s vibe , maybe too much levity for true n-n. But I liked it. Then theres a favorite , the underappreciated Devil In A Blue Dress with Denzel Washington. Hits the classic noir themes with plenty of twists, conspiracy , 1 man against the world for the sake of principle goings on. I really liked it when I first discovered it. Heres a 4th ,just thought of but cant leave out. LA Confidential. That movie kicks noir ass.
    Anyone add to this? Theres probably a bunch I missed. Although we are talking color in a BW thread...........
    Just a great post. I've always wondered why Chinatown, especially, wasn't done in B&W. This is movies and I would think someone would have been sensitive to the story and feel. I also understand that B&W in a color world could be risky. DIABD is certainly underrated and would have been even better in B&W. Hoodlum would have benefited as well. LA C could almost be looked at as criminal for not being shot in B&W.

The seriously demented preacher in Night Of The Hunter. Mitchum did bad really good. One of the creepier villians of the era.
    It's funny how some actors can do bad really well. Fred MacMurry and DeForest Kelly were good bad guys. Interesting.
    Last edited by Staun; 07-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.