Page 138 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, those exchanges in the old phone numbers did often (maybe always?) correspond to locations!
    I was looking over a page from an old NYC directory and they used a three letter prefix that did correspond to the neighborhood. For instance, phone numbers around Bryant Park began with 279. And numbers in Harlem began with 427.

But that may have been unique for NYC with exchange names that corresponded to neighborhoods. From what I read, the exchange names were simply a mnemonic that enabled people to remember the first two or three letters of their phone number. Maybe most cities chose names that corresponded to neighborhoods or parks or streets or whatever, but I don't really know.

BTW, I tried looking up old phone numbers from my city but found nothing. They were still using 4-digit numbers back then.

But that gave me an idea and I found something interesting in the Manhattan phone book in 1959 and 1960: an "Ira Levin" was living at 15 W 81st. Don't know if it's your dad or not. Do you?

I also found the address for Giuseppe Bonanno, aka "Joe Bananas", boss of the Bonanno Mafia family. If it's the same guy, he was living at 168 E 108th in 1959.

Couldn't find any of the other mobsters, other than Lucchese Bros fruit vendors and a Frank Costello. Not sure if it's the same one. But there sure are a lot of Gambinos, Castellanos, and Castiglias (Costello's real name).

Most REAL New Yorkers (like me) still use them too. Of course, sometimes the unofficial neighborhood names are better than the official ones, like Hell's Kitchen instead of Clinton.
    Hell's Kitchen wasn't originally a neighborhood name???

You know the Westies are from Hell's Kitchen.

BTW, Jed, I'll give you one guess what the name of my elementary school was.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One of the classic newspapers in a movie (and I'm surprised you didn't mention it) was Hitchcock's appearance in "Lifeboat."
    Didn't even think of it. Don't know why.

What's really funny about that picture is I didn't recognize it as a still from the movie until I looked a little closer and recognized William Bendix as the guy holding the paper.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ I believe Hitchcock really was on a diet, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I was looking over a page from an old NYC directory and they used a three letter prefix that did correspond to the neighborhood. For instance, phone numbers around Bryant Park began with 279. And numbers in Harlem began with 427.

But that may have been unique for NYC with exchange names that corresponded to neighborhoods. From what I read, the exchange names were simply a mnemonic that enabled people to remember the first two or three letters of their phone number. Maybe most cities chose names that corresponded to neighborhoods or parks or streets or whatever, but I don't really know.

BTW, I tried looking up old phone numbers from my city but found nothing. They were still using 4-digit numbers back then.

But that gave me an idea and I found something interesting in the Manhattan phone book in 1959 and 1960: an "Ira Levin" was living at 15 W 81st. Don't know if it's your dad or not. Do you?

I also found the address for Giuseppe Bonanno, aka "Joe Bananas", boss of the Bonanno Mafia family. If it's the same guy, he was living at 168 E 108th in 1959.

Couldn't find any of the other mobsters, other than Lucchese Bros fruit vendors and a Frank Costello. Not sure if it's the same one. But there sure are a lot of Gambinos, Castellanos, and Castiglias (Costello's real name).

Hell's Kitchen wasn't originally a neighborhood name???

You know the Westies are from Hell's Kitchen.

BTW, Jed, I'll give you one guess what the name of my elementary school was.

Didn't even think of it. Don't know why.

What's really funny about that picture is I didn't recognize it as a still from the movie until I looked a little closer and recognized William Bendix as the guy holding the paper.
    Yes, that was where my father lived before he and my mother married. You know who else lived in the same townhouse? Eleanor Roosevelt!

Yes, that was where my father lived before he and my mother married. You know who else lived in the same townhouse? Eleanor Roosevelt!
    Yeah, I read that on the website.

BTW, you didn't guess the name of my elementary school. (if you think about it, it should be a really easy guess for you)
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

TCM the Falcon, Casablanca and Citizen Kane tonight. Never warmed to Casablanca and Kane has sort of lost it’s magic for me. Bogey, Sidney, Peter and Mary never gets old.
    The older I get, the better I was.

^ I believe Hitchcock really was on a diet, too.
    Ron, I still can’t believe his obsession with Tippi. Wonder if that effected her career in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ron, I still can’t believe his obsession with Tippi. Wonder if that effected her career in any way.
    There's a good interview with her on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and she touches on the subject. Worth a listen for those interested in Hitchcock.

"Inherit the Wind" is on TCM tomorrow at 4:00
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I understand where that title comes from but I never remember it in relation to the play/movie and immediately picture in my mind one of the following images from movie posters:

(The Lion in Winter)

(The Wind and the Lion)

What's funny is I've never seen either movie.

What's really funny about those two is if you mention one title I'll think of the movie poster for the other.

"Inherit the Wind" is on TCM tomorrow at 4:00
    Watching, Run Silent, Run Deep as a warmup.

I understand where that title comes from but I never remember it in relation to the play/movie and immediately picture in my mind one of the following images from movie posters:

(The Lion in Winter)

(The Wind and the Lion)

What's funny is I've never seen either movie.

What's really funny about those two is if you mention one title I'll think of the movie poster for the other.
    I like, The Lion in Winter. Peter O’Toole seems so different here than he does in Lawrence. Amazing.

I do like those period films though, Beckett, A Man for all Seasons.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, I read that on the website.

BTW, you didn't guess the name of my elementary school. (if you think about it, it should be a really easy guess for you)
    But did you know that he and Eleanor Roosevelt lived there at the same time? She asked him if he'd move out so she could have the whole building to herself, but he didn't want to. He was there first.

Lyndon B. Johnson Elementary School?

Lyndon B. Johnson Elementary School?
    No. Horace Mann.

The late Yaphet Kotto wrote this epic tale about his friend Robert Mitchum.

https://www.facebook.com/25437791549...0180043620495/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Beginning Wednesday night, TCM is having a marathon of movies that stars or co-stars Sidney Greenstreet & Peter Lorre:

8:00 pm: The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
    9:45 pm: The Verdict (1946)
    11:30 pm: Three Strangers (1946)
    1:15 am: Passage to Marseille (1944)
    3:15 am: The Conspirators (1944)
    5:00 am: Background to Danger (1943)
    6:30 am: The Maltese Falcon (1941)
    8:30 am: Casablanca (1942)

Sidney Greenstreet had one of those voices that he could recite Steve Miller lyrics and make them sound high class and profound.

Sidney Greenstreet had one of those voices that he could recite Steve Miller lyrics and make them sound high class and profound.
    "I like talking to a man who likes to talk "

"King Kong" is on TCM at 6:30 this evening. That's one of those movies I always watch.

I caught "The Fortune Cookie" the other night, first team-up of Lemmon and Matthau. Man, what a great picture, written and directed by Billy Wilder. Walter Matthau is probably one of the most underrated actors ever.

"I don't want to find you here when I get back. And take your damn meatloaf with you."

I DVRed 1946's Three Strangers starring Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet. This is one I don't ever remember seeing. Lorre's charactor is the most likeable reminisent of his Casablanca turn. Plot involves 3 strangers making a wish to a chineese godess . The 3 are undone by their own flaws as their wishes turn against them. According to the TCM comments , this was written by John Houstan prior to the release of THe Maltese Falcon and he would have directed had he not been on active military duty. It shares many people involved in or almost involved in the Maltese Falcon. This was a winner in my eyes. Catch it if able.

HUD, with Paul Newman is on TCM tonight. I’ve always looked at this film as one where the bad guy gets what he wants in the end. Now maybe we don’t like his personality much and some of the things he does, but is he really the villain? Not much action but still interesting.

"The Incredible Shrinking Man" is on Me-TV tonight.

Wow, that's tough. Amongst my faves
    Incredible Shrinking Man
    Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein
    The Werewolf of London
    The Great Dictator
    Modern Times
    Naked City
    12 Angry Men
    Nosferatu
    Freaks
    Psycho
    The Elephant Man
    Brute Force
    The Fly
    Dr Strangelove
    Fail Safe
    The Man Who Wasn't There
    The Night of the Hunter
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Scarface (original)
    Touch of Evil
    Twilight Zone (original series...yeah, I know, tv, but still)
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

^^ Great list.