Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

^^ Just saw one last night. The closing shot from "City Lights."

And another: The stairwell scene from A Hard Day's Night with John and the passer-by.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Chaplin's "City Lights" is on TCM tonight at 8:00.
    When I was a young boy, the Canadian Broadcasting Company ran a series of Charlie Chaplan movies. I remember really anticipating each movie and being totally engrossed. I can't find this type of programming on my current network package. I looked up City Lights on Youtube and was able to watch the final four minutes. These movies were so high profile at the time. I heard Chaplan wanted to make a silent movie at this time event though talkies were taking over.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    When I was a young boy, the Canadian Broadcasting Company ran a series of Charlie Chaplan movies. I remember really anticipating each movie and being totally engrossed. I can't find this type of programming on my current network package. I looked up City Lights on Youtube and was able to watch the final four minutes. These movies were so high profile at the time. I heard Chaplan wanted to make a silent movie at this time event though talkies were taking over.
    Yep, Apparently Chaplin didn't expect sound to be around very long. He didn't look at it an integral part of the art, it seems.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

So, just for shits and giggles, I'm watching "The Beast with Five Fingers." Boy was Robert Alda a terrible actor.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

So, just for shits and giggles, I'm watching "The Beast with Five Fingers." Boy was Robert Alda a terrible actor.
    I'll add that Peter Lorre, and otherwise great actor, is beyond terrible in this movie.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

There are two Bette Davis flicks on TCM tonight. "The Old Maid" (1937) and "Old Acquaintance" (1947). Both are well-rated, from what I understand. I may have seen "The Old Maid."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Watching a b&w movie called.......

Lady Vanishes (1938).

British film. I'm 5 minutes in....

So I caught a new to me BW on TCM the other day. The Sellout , from 1952. Every once and awhile TCM pulls out a surprise little seen film , this was one for me. Brand name cast , from the principles to a large assortment of quality charactor actors. Theres Walter Pidgeon , Karl Malden , John Hodiak , Audrey Totter. Then theres the menacing Thomas Gomez ( gangster in Key Largo , Everet Sloane ( scummy lawyer in Wells Lady From Shanghi , the often seen Cameron Mitchell. Plot is about a town run by a crooked sheriff , Gomez , and crooked lawyer, Sloane. Hodiak is a federal man trying to crack the syndicate. Healthy dose of coruption , violence , cowerdness , and bravery. a pleasent surprise. I had never seen this one or saw it offered on TCM. Cool stuff.

After Scottbails mentioned in the other movie thread that he saw 12 Angry Men, the other day, there was some discussion re: Lee J Cobb, an actor I've always liked but haven't seen much of. I decided to watch a couple of classics he starred in: On the Waterfront, which I thought I'd seen before, but hadn't, and The Three Faces of Eve, which I've wanted to see since my mom told me about it when I was a kid.

Leonard Maltin gives them 4 and 3 stars, respectively. I'd give them 3 and 3, respectively. Waterfront was the better movie, overall, but the ending was a little melodramatic and corny. Eve, tho not quite as good, had a much better ending, even if it did feel ever so slightly abridged.

Waterfront had a bunch of future name actors: Brando and Steiger, of course, but also Eva Marie Saint (her first movie), Martin Balsam, Nehemiah Persoff, Pat Hingle, and Herman Munster himself, Fred Gwynne. I almost didn't recognize him, he was so young and thin.

On a side note, I've almost always been opposed to plastic surgery but if there was ever an actor or actress that needed it, it was Karl Malden.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

BTW, Ron, I was checkin' out TCM's site yesterday and even through the Fire TV Stick, their site was messed up; it was off by about 12 hours. One of the "now showing" movies listed was Treasure Island when, in fact, Citizen Kane was on.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    On a side note, I've almost always been opposed to plastic surgery but if there was ever an actor or actress that needed it, it was Karl Malden.
    Malden is a classic example of a great actor whose looks were not a detriment to employment. In fact, that schnoz probably got him work in his early career.

BTW, Ron, I was checkin' out TCM's site yesterday and even through the Fire TV Stick, their site was messed up; it was off by about 12 hours. One of the "now showing" movies listed was Treasure Island when, in fact, Citizen Kane was on.
    Yeah, my problem is not about what they did to accommodate new technology and devices as much as losing the overall character of the site and creating a terrible user experience. Too many clicks to find too little info. I still don't get it. I try to temper my opinion by the simple fact that most people just don't like change and will push back by nature. But, jeez, they really screwed up IMNSHO.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Gangster movies on TCM all day tomorrow

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I DVRed The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) yesterday afternoon and we watched it in the evening. It was far better than I thought it would be, the only thing that jarred me was the cartoonish Watson. But the guy that played Holmes was perfect and Christopher Lee as Mycroft was as well. Decent plot as well, but that's to be expected with Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Saw a really weird b&w movie last night. A German pic called The Head from 1959. Very much like the American The Brain That Wouldn't Die, which was made in the same year. In The Head, the mad doctor successfully transplants the head of a hunchback nurse onto the body of a stripper, while the head of the doctor who experimented with keeping a dog's head alive watches from a tray on the lab bench. The head in the tray and the nurse's head are not very happy about the arrangements.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Saw a really weird b&w movie last night. A German pic called The Head from 1959. Very much like the American The Brain That Wouldn't Die, which was made in the same year. In The Head, the mad doctor successfully transplants the head of a hunchback nurse onto the body of a stripper, while the head of the doctor who experimented with keeping a dog's head alive watches from a tray on the lab bench. The head in the tray and the nurse's head are not very happy about the arrangements.
    I'll have what he's having.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I'll have what he's having.
    Headwaiter!!!

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Headwaiter!!!
    I had a quip but I think not. Anyway, A Patch of Blue is on now and it's funny, I've never seen it all the way through.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I watched From Here to Eternity the other day, which I hadn't seen in quite some time.

Most everyone's good in it but I have to say I found Sinatra a little annoying in it.

The movie is getting dated, now. Often, it borders on melodramatic and even steps over the line a few times. There were also a couple of moments I found maudlin. The dialogue in a few spots was a bit clunky and dated. And some of the scenes just didn't play that well.

It's loaded with a bunch of future stars and well known character actors like Ernie Borgnine, of course, but also Jack Warden, Claude Akins, George Reeves (Superman!), and Robert Wilke (seen most often in the '50s & '60s for playing villains in westerns & guest starring in tons of TV westerns, he was one of the gunslingers waiting for Gary Cooper in High Noon and was the guy who challenged James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven). There was also Tim Ryan, who played the sergeant that's a friend of Burt's character. I had never heard of him before, and I'm not sure if I even recognized him, but I found out he was once married to the woman who played Granny on The Beverly Hillbillies.

I think the best part was some of the dialogue between Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr, before their characters hooked up. I found it funny, but not in a bad way. I'm not sure I can explain it.

And also, of course, the bar scene when Lancaster goes up against "Fatso" is classic.

Still, overall it has become, imo, a 3 star movie.

I watched From Here to Eternity the other day, which I hadn't seen in quite some time.

Most everyone's good in it but I have to say I found Sinatra a little annoying in it.

The movie is getting dated, now. Often, it borders on melodramatic and even steps over the line a few times. There were also a couple of moments I found maudlin. The dialogue in a few spots was a bit clunky and dated. And some of the scenes just didn't play that well.

It's loaded with a bunch of future stars and well known character actors like Ernie Borgnine, of course, but also Jack Warden, Claude Akins, George Reeves (Superman!), and Robert Wilke (seen most often in the '50s & '60s for playing villains in westerns & guest starring in tons of TV westerns, he was one of the gunslingers waiting for Gary Cooper in High Noon and was the guy who challenged James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven). There was also Tim Ryan, who played the sergeant that's a friend of Burt's character. I had never heard of him before, and I'm not sure if I even recognized him, but I found out he was once married to the woman who played Granny on The Beverly Hillbillies.

I think the best part was some of the dialogue between Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr, before their characters hooked up. I found it funny, but not in a bad way. I'm not sure I can explain it.

And also, of course, the bar scene when Lancaster goes up against "Fatso" is classic.

Still, overall it has become, imo, a 3 star movie.
    I really like Donna Reed in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I really like Donna Reed in this one.
    Yeah, she won an Oscar for her role.

Yeah, she won an Oscar for her role.
    Really? Wasn't aware.