Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

This is on TCM tonight, It's considered the last great Pre-War screwball comedy. I've never seen it, but Stanwyck.

"A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This is on TCM tonight, It's considered the last great Pre-War screwball comedy. I've never seen it, but Stanwyck.

Stanwyck positivly shines in this one. Very much worth the watch. I caught it again last night. An equally shiny Stanwyck appears in The Lady Eve , as good as this one . Both are jems.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Stanwyck positivly shines in this one. Very much worth the watch. I caught it again last night. An equally shiny Stanwyck appears in The Lady Eve , as good as this one . Both are jems.
    Yeah, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't give it four stars, but a solid 3-1/2.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't give it four stars, but a solid 3-1/2.
    Did you like The Lady Eve , if you saw it?

Did you like The Lady Eve , if you saw it?
    Yes. Not one of my favorites and I don't necessarily go out of my way to watch it.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

If God wanted us to listen to audio books, She wouldn't have given us eyes to watch TV. - Gene Belcher

TCM has a good line up this evening but it's also running THX 1138. Haven't seen that in a few years but I always liked it. A few days ago they had a Bogey fest and one of the films was, They Drive By Night. Saw bits and pieces of it but never the whole thing. Gangster truckers. It was alright.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Looks like loads of Hitchcock on TCM all day Thursday and Friday

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hal, absolutely a classic! I enjoyed every minute of it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I can't express how meaningful that Youtube Clip is to me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I can't express how meaningful that Youtube Clip is to me.
    Glad you liked it.
    If God wanted us to listen to audio books, She wouldn't have given us eyes to watch TV. - Gene Belcher

I DVRed Kiss Me Deadly off TCM and watched the other night. Not my first viewing , its a favorite. Its a Micky Spilaine adaptation from the mid 50s. Ralph Meeker playes Mike Hammer , detective with a violently sadistic streak. Very violent for its time , a mildly disjointed narrative filled with colorful quicky/quircky charactors with a Big Sleep vibe. The Whatsis everyone is chasing in this one is unique. Killer ending. One of the better tough PI noir movies. Starts with a very young , naked under a trench coat Cloris Leachman running away from the bad guys on a coast highway in the wee hours of the morning being almost run down by the covieantly located Hammer. It progresses.............
    10 of 10

Joan Crawford movies on TCM today.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I DVRed Kiss Me Deadly off TCM and watched the other night. Not my first viewing , its a favorite. Its a Micky Spilaine adaptation from the mid 50s. Ralph Meeker playes Mike Hammer , detective with a violently sadistic streak. Very violent for its time , a mildly disjointed narrative filled with colorful quicky/quircky charactors with a Big Sleep vibe. The Whatsis everyone is chasing in this one is unique. Killer ending. One of the better tough PI noir movies. Starts with a very young , naked under a trench coat Cloris Leachman running away from the bad guys on a coast highway in the wee hours of the morning being almost run down by the covieantly located Hammer. It progresses.............
    10 of 10
    Damn it. I saw that on the schedule but figured I could stream it later. They didn't add it to the list of streamable movies.

Damn it. I saw that on the schedule but figured I could stream it later. They didn't add it to the list of streamable movies.
    Hopefully they add it. Its a good one.

Hopefully they add it. Its a good one.
    It won't be anytime soon. If they add a movie it's immediately after it's been shown on cable. I remembered a movie I wanted to see, once, but it was almost over. I waited until it finished and it appeared on their site ~10 minutes later.

The thing that surprises me is that they add the Saturday night noir movies. They didn't with this one, for some reason.

Looks like loads of Hitchcock on TCM all day Thursday and Friday
    Sorry, not all day Thursday. They begin at 8:00 pm

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Alright, fellas, who are they:

Alright, fellas, who are they:

Bud Abbot and Lou Costello.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Bud Abbot and Lou Costello.
    Close, but no cigar.

Surely you recognize the guy, don't you?

Close, but no cigar.

He looks really familiar.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Close, but no cigar.

John Garfield and Patricia Neal. In , The Breaking Point , from the same source material as Bogart's To Have And Have Not. Realalistically a better film than To Have And Have Not, but the presence of Bogey and Bacall easily make up the difference.

I caught Hitchcock's Shadow Of A Doubt last night on TCM. I don't hear this one mentioned that often when discussing Hitch's best. It should be , it's excellent. Cotton plays a scary sociopath loose in an unsupecting Rockwellian small town. IMHO one of Hitch's best.

I caught Hitchcock's Shadow Of A Doubt last night on TCM. I don't hear this one mentioned that often when discussing Hitch's best. It should be , it's excellent. Cotton plays a scary sociopath loose in an unsupecting Rockwellian small town. IMHO one of Hitch's best.
    I was hoping to watch it, but the time was not good (6:00 pm). I did, however, watch "The Trouble with Harry" for the first time. I know our friend, Hal, is such a big fan. It's very good and I can see why it was one of Hitchcock's personal favorites. And, Like Hal (Barry) pointed out, the color is glorious. I can't say I was thrilled with John Forsythe. I give it 3-1/2 stars.. Maybe another viewing will bump it up to four.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

BTW, another one of Hal's favorites is on tonight at 8:00 EST on TCM. But, it's not B&W, so I won't mention it.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie