Page 12 of 160 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Newman does more, doing nothing, than anyone I know.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He was crazy in Hudd. Beer drinking, chasing married woman and trying to take Patrica Neals favors without her consent. He had a great car in this movie and I thought it was a Cadillac but now I don't think so. Anyone know what it was?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I know you're generalizing to make a point, because great work is still being done. The audience is the problem.
    Perhaps your right. It just seems like old celluloid was in a class by itself. I seem to have a more honest movie experience with them, if that makes any sense.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Perhaps your right. It just seems like old celluloid was in a class by itself. I seem to have a more honest movie experience with them, if that makes any sense.
    Your comments got me thinking about one of my favorite directors: David Cronenberg. Some of his films are great but don't tell very linear stories. One that's really good though and has a story that's in some way old fashioned (just in that it reels you in) is Eastern Promises. It has some viciousness and violence, but it basically tells a good story.

It makes perfect sense.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Your comments got me thinking about one of my favorite directors: David Cronenberg. Some of his films are great but don't tell very linear stories. One that's really good though and has a story that's in some way old fashioned (just in that it reels you in) is Eastern Promises. It has some viciousness and violence, but it basically tells a good story.
    Yeah, that and Cronenberg's History of Violence were exceptional.

Gilda is on TCM tonight. Oh Rita Hayworth and that hair flip. Jesus, she was so stunning, and played that part so well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How about McQueen?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    How about McQueen?
    Good call
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good call
    Yes it is. Are we getting into persona territory or huge screen precense? Newman had this kind of boyish self afaceing way of getting what he wanted on screen. McQueen chose a more quiet calculating tact.

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Earaserhead
    Thanks Romac for the heads up. Been a while since I last saw Eraserhead but I must say, it never sounded better. Glad someone took some time with the sound track on this version.

Not sure if I posted this link earlier in the thread, but for those who are fans of the silent era, this blog is really great:

http://silent-volume.blogspot.com
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" is on TCM at 8:00 EST tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Earaserhead
    Just seeing that title gives me the creeps! Thanks a lot!

He was crazy in Hudd. Beer drinking, chasing married woman and trying to take Patrica Neals favors without her consent. He had a great car in this movie and I thought it was a Cadillac but now I don't think so. Anyone know what it was?
    Definitely a Caddy.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10185-C...267X-1958.html

Yes it is. Are we getting into persona territory or huge screen precense? Newman had this kind of boyish self afaceing way of getting what he wanted on screen. McQueen chose a more quiet calculating tact.
    But in 'The Magnificent Seven', he would fidget and fuss in his scenes with Yul Brynner in order to get noticed. Drove Brynner mad, apparently...

Brenner had a huge ego and was not known as generous when it came to sharing screen time. Whether McQueen was screwing with Brenner or outright trying to chisel some screen time for himself , the result is typical cool McQueen. Shitload of actors on the verge of the bigtime in this one. Still havnt caught the remake.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" is on TCM at 8:00 EST tonight.
    I watched it. Great stuff. Bette Davis is just magnificently maleficent.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I watched it. Great stuff. Bette Davis is just magnificently maleficent.
    Yep, she's really great in that role and got a well-deserved Oscar nomination for it. It's one of the very few movies we watch every time it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I did see A History of Violence. Coming form a small town like that, I was drawn in and had a understanding of the characters, but certainly not to that extent.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Definitely a Caddy.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10185-C...267X-1958.html

But in 'The Magnificent Seven', he would fidget and fuss in his scenes with Yul Brynner in order to get noticed. Drove Brynner mad, apparently...
    Yep, sure is. Don't know what I was thinking. There have been some great cars in movies but this one always stuck with me. How did I get the idea that it was something in the Lincoln Imperial line.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Brenner had a huge ego and was not known as generous when it came to sharing screen time. Whether McQueen was screwing with Brenner or outright trying to chisel some screen time for himself , the result is typical cool McQueen. Shitload of actors on the verge of the bigtime in this one. Still havnt caught the remake.
    I had heard that about his ego. In the King and I, I thought he may have been miscast but the more I see it, the more I realize it works. Wow, didn't know there was a remake. Westerns, which I love, still have a way of popping up from time to time. Interesting.

Easy. Young Frankenstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Easy. Young Frankenstein.
    That's...Fronkensteen....
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    That's...Fronkensteen....
    Do you also say, "Froderick"?

Have we gotten into 50's sci-fi B&W movies? They were really important to me because they in fact, got me into movies. Guess I've seen a great deal of them but I must be missing a few. I remember seeing The Tingler, with Vincent Price. What blew me away was the bath tube scene. Movie was B&W but the blood in the tube was red. Fun stuff. Any favorites?