Page 119 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Just caught the last 30 minutes of "Witness for the Prosecution." One of the great movie endings.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yikes, I almost forgot to mention that "The Divorcee" (1930) pre-Code is on at 8 tonight on TCM. Norma Shearer won an Oscoar. I'll be suffering through the debate, so I'll have to miss it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    TCM usually has the best prints, but some movies (and this might be one of them) have yet to be properly restored.
    Not only that but the length of time isn't always the definitive. I was reading about some movie in my Maltin guide and it stated that version A was the best because it was x minutes long. The version shown on TCM was something like 20 minutes shorter. I can't remember the name of the movie but I'm pretty certain it was a silent. It was also a Criterion Collection movie, too, which really surprised me since CC movies are always the definitive.

Anyway, that doesn't happen often that TCM's version is lacking.

Just caught the last 30 minutes of "Witness for the Prosecution." One of the great movie endings.
    I don't think I've ever seen that. I'm sure I'll be able to stream it from their site.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Not only that but the length of time isn't always the definitive. I was reading about some movie in my Maltin guide and it stated that version A was the best because it was x minutes long. The version shown on TCM was something like 20 minutes shorter. I can't remember the name of the movie but I'm pretty certain it was a silent. It was also a Criterion Collection movie, too, which really surprised me since CC movies are always the definitive.

Anyway, that doesn't happen often that TCM's version is lacking.

I don't think I've ever seen that. I'm sure I'll be able to stream it from their site.
    Hal, you actually admit that you have not seen this film? Throw in the towel.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Hal, you actually admit that you have not seen this film? Throw in the towel.
    Watched it this morning.

Besides, anyone who says...

I've tried and tried but I just can't plug in to Casablanca.
    ...has no room to talk.

Casablanca is one of the greatest movies to come out of the old Hollywood studio system. And that's not my opinion. It's a quantifiable fact.

Anyway, Ron's right about Witness for the Prosecution: "one of the great movie endings."

I thought it was a 2½ star movie until the last 10 minutes. I expected some kind of twist but this was one of the better endings I've ever seen. Of course, it's based on Agatha Christie's play so I credit her... and Billy Wilder for not fucking it up.

I did find Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester's contentious relationship amusing, tho. They must have had fun playing those scenes.

Overall, I'd say it's more like a 3¼ star movie.

AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES. The 100 greatest American movies of all time.

I've seen 88.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I did find Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester's contentious relationship amusing, tho. They must have had fun playing those scenes.
    You know they were married, right? Even though he was closeted.

You know they were married, right? Even though he was closeted.
    Yes, we discussed it not too long ago. My memory's not that bad, yet.

Yes, we discussed it not too long ago. My memory's not that bad, yet.
    I figured. It's just hard to keep track.

12 Angry men is on TCM right now.

Watched it this morning.

Besides, anyone who says...

...has no room to talk.

Casablanca is one of the greatest movies to come out of the old Hollywood studio system. And that's not my opinion. It's a quantifiable fact.

Anyway, Ron's right about Witness for the Prosecution: "one of the great movie endings."

I thought it was a 2½ star movie until the last 10 minutes. I expected some kind of twist but this was one of the better endings I've ever seen. Of course, it's based on Agatha Christie's play so I credit her... and Billy Wilder for not fucking it up.

Overall, I'd say it's more like a 3¼ star movie.

AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES. The 100 greatest American movies of all time.

I've seen 88.
    But, but, but Hal, I've tried and tried. It's like the last drop, it just won't come.

I figured. It's just hard to keep track.

12 Angry men is on TCM right now.
    Beautiful day here Sunday but I had to stay in to see it. Jack Klugman was so cool. Young, soft spoken, black hair and thin. Wasn't Henry Fonda sort of a hypocrite here? I mean when things were going against him and everyone couldn't understand why he didn't vote guilty. Then when things started to go his way, he even said that he and his new cohorts couldn't understand how the rest didn't vote innocent. Always thought that was a little odd.

Beautiful day here Sunday but I had to stay in to see it. Jack Klugman was so cool. Young, soft spoken, black hair and thin. Wasn't Henry Fonda sort of a hypocrite here? I mean when things were going against him and everyone couldn't understand why he didn't vote guilty. Then when things started to go his way, he even said that he and his new cohorts couldn't understand how the rest didn't vote innocent. Always thought that was a little odd.
    Fonda's comments were based solely on the doubt that he clearly had. What made that hypocritical? He was consistent in his position.

Fonda's comments were based solely on the doubt that he clearly had. What made that hypocritical? He was consistent in his position.
    Yes, he was consistent but his memory became selective. He forgot that all the people who joined him, at first, wasn't on his side. He began to sound hypocritical when he said, "We can't understand", as if everyone was always on his side. But that's exactly what the opposition was saying. "We can't understand how you can vote for innocent". At the very least, he felt that turn-a-bout was fair play. His points were good but after acting they way they did, I do feel a little differently about his attitude.

Not the best b&w movie ever, but I always enjoy Pinky when it's on (yesterday on TCM). Like the passing-for-white daughter in Imitation of Life, Pinky is not happy with herself and those around her until she accepts who she is. Pretty tough situation up until then.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Wasn't Henry Fonda sort of a hypocrite here? I mean when things were going against him and everyone couldn't understand why he didn't vote guilty. Then when things started to go his way, he even said that he and his new cohorts couldn't understand how the rest didn't vote innocent. Always thought that was a little odd.
    No. Because his initial vote was because he had reservations and wanted to talk them out. Once the evidence started becoming flimsy, he felt there was enough reasonable doubt that he couldn't understand how others were still voting guilty. Don't forget: he was an architect and, aside from E. G. Marshall, the most educated. He approached the proceedings from a reasoned, rational, even scientific approach where most everyone else was approaching them from an emotional approach.

No. Because his initial vote was because he had reservations and wanted to talk them out. Once the evidence started becoming flimsy, he felt there was enough reasonable doubt that he couldn't understand how others were still voting guilty. Don't forget: he was an architect and, aside from E. G. Marshall, the most educated. He approached the proceedings from a reasoned, rational, even scientific approach where most everyone else was approaching them from an emotional approach.
    This, from the man who only saw Witness for the Prosecution, for the first time yesterday. I suppose my point is, in short, he took on the same attitude once he gained support, as the others in the beginning. I just find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Not the best b&w movie ever, but I always enjoy Pinky when it's on (yesterday on TCM). Like the passing-for-white daughter in Imitation of Life, Pinky is not happy with herself and those around her until she accepts who she is. Pretty tough situation up until then.
    This is a very fascinating subject and expands far beyond Hollywood. Ever during the days of slavery, dark and fair complexioned people were separated. You can pretty much guess the rest, not wanting to offend anyone.

I saw that last night for the first time. It's an interesting story. a solid three stars. But, I just couldn't understand the casting decision. This girl is supposed to be a "light-skinned negro." Yet, she couldn't have looked any more European and any less like her family.

You could certainly never get away with that these days, and rightly so.

I also thought the ending was a bit abrupt. We all knew where it was going, but I was waiting for her "aha!' moment, when she realized what she needed to do with the house. But, we never saw it. They just jumped to the end.

I saw that last night for the first time. It's an interesting story. a solid three stars. But, I just couldn't understand the casting decision. This girl is supposed to be a "light-skinned negro." Yet, she couldn't have looked any more European and any less like her family.

You could certainly never get away with that these days, and rightly so.

I also thought the ending was a bit abrupt. We all knew where it was going, but I was waiting for her "aha!' moment, when she realized what she needed to do with the house. But, we never saw it. They just jumped to the end.
    Christ being played by a blonde blue eyed man. American Indians played by, well, you name them. I always thought authenticity wasn't important. Simply making the film with mostly well known stars was the only objective. Hollywood was a small club.

Same here. I did feel a bit cheated that we didn't see Pinky have that "aha" moment. Maybe if the doctor who wanted her to stick around and train nurses just happened to drive by and get a flat tire we would have seen it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Same here. I did feel a bit cheated that we didn't see Pinky have that "aha" moment. Maybe if the doctor who wanted her to stick around and train nurses just happened to drive by and get a flat tire we would have seen it.
    Yep, I was expecting something just like that. He needed to show up again to trigger her thinking.

Watching.....Cry Of The Werewolf (1941), on Svengoolie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching.....Cry Of The Werewolf (1941), on Svengoolie.
    Me, too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watching Ten Little Indians, not very good but distracting, always like Wilfred Hyde White, Dennis Price & Stanley Holloway
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    not very good but distracting,
    just like "Curse of the Werewolf."

The Thing From Another World
    The Train
    Decision Before Dawn
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    3 Godfathers
    The Searchers