Page 116 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

I've mentioned it here before, but FINALLY available now are copies of "Tortilla Flat" for a reasonable price. It has now been re-confirmed as my favorite black & white movie.

Filmed in 1942, just three years after "The Wizard of Oz," it was done by much of the same crew, including director Victor Fleming. It stars Frank Morgan, who played the Wizard. Terry, the dog that played Toto, is also in here. The film also stars Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr, in a comic story of paisanos, the poor Mexican-Americans living in pre-war Monterey. Tracy plays a good-natured grifter who tricks everyone into buying him wine -- until suddenly faced with a serious situation, where he shows his true colors as a man of honor and decency.

The lighting and camerawork are remarkable -- in fact the film looks a lot like WoZ. The story is amusing and ultimately redemptive. The novel by Steinbeck, and the screen adaptation by John Lee Mahin and Benjamin Glazer, are intelligent and witty. Nothing is overdone.

It amazes me that this film isn't better known.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've mentioned it here before, but FINALLY available now are copies of "Tortilla Flat" for a reasonable price. It has now been re-confirmed as my favorite black & white movie.

Filmed in 1942, just three years after "The Wizard of Oz," it was done by much of the same crew, including director Victor Fleming. It stars Frank Morgan, who played the Wizard. Terry, the dog that played Toto, is also in here. The film also stars Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr, in a comic story of paisanos, the poor Mexican-Americans living in pre-war Monterey. Tracy plays a good-natured grifter who tricks everyone into buying him wine -- until suddenly faced with a serious situation, where he shows his true colors as a man of honor and decency.

The lighting and camerawork are remarkable -- in fact the film looks a lot like WoZ. The story is amusing and ultimately redemptive. The novel by Steinbeck, and the screen adaptation by John Lee Mahin and Benjamin Glazer, are intelligent and witty. Nothing is overdone.

It amazes me that this film isn't better known.
    It's Headley

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    It's Headley
    I was going to post the same thing and got sidetracked. Damn you!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'd take Hedy over Harvey Korman any day.

But will she take you?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

She's dead. To late.

"Somebody's got to go back and get a shit load of dimes".
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But will she take you?
    Problems problems.

Bette again. "All about Eve" is on TCM Sunday night. They play it far too often, though. But, man that movie has some great dialogue.

Bette again. "All about Eve" is on TCM Sunday night. They play it far too often, though. But, man that movie has some great dialogue.
    They sure do. Bette was so nice to Eve, she should have come right with what she wanted for her future.

It's been a looonnng time since I've seen All About Eve. I may have to tune in. Oh wait. The NFC conference championship is on Sunday night. I suppose I could stream AAE on a later day.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

For those of you not consumed with that other thing on TV tonight, "A Face in the Crowd" is on TCM tonight.

For those of you not consumed with that other thing on TV tonight, "A Face in the Crowd" is on TCM tonight.
    We are living the alternate ending , the one where Iselin gets elected.

Yeah, I was consumed but it's always strange to see Andy like that. Good film.

Kind of thin this weekend. Tarzan and His Mate has an early showing but I've always liked the film. Been watching the Original Outer Limits on prime. A lot of those I haven't seen.

I caught "Manpower" with Edward G Robinson, Marlene Dietrich & George Raft on TCM. Also featuring Alan Hale, Sr. (the Skipper's dad). Man, they don't make em like that anymore. 1941, when men were mugs and women were dames.

"Hustle your muscle, Scarlett. There's a guy at the bar with a new set of dough."
    "Every time I get tangled with a dame, I do the wrong thing. "
    "Your daughter wound up gettin' pinched in a Frisco gin joint for clippin' a sucker's wallet."
    "That dame tonight was really stacked up."

Gotta love dialogue from the '30s & '40s.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Gotta love dialogue from the '30s & '40s.
    Indeed. One of my favorites for killer dialog is "His Girl Friday." It's exhaustingly great.

^ Cary Grant & Irene Dunne, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    ^ Cary Grant & Irene Dunne, right?
    R Russell

R Russell
    +1

Irene Dunne was in "The Awful Truth," and possibly others. That's another good one.

+1

Irene Dunne was in "The Awful Truth," and possibly others. That's another good one.
    Was Dunne in My favorite Wife where sh's on a desert island with R Scott , lost and returns as husband Grant is remarrying after presumption of death?

Was Dunne in My favorite Wife where sh's on a desert island with R Scott , lost and returns as husband Grant is remarrying after presumption of death?
    Yes, that was her.

Yes, that was her.
    IIRC it was remade with Chuck Conners in the Randolf Scott role. I don't remember the other 2 princples.

IIRC it was remade with Chuck Conners in the Randolf Scott role. I don't remember the other 2 princples.
    Visited IMDB . The remake was Move Over Darling with James Garner and Doris Day.