Page 109 of 159 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Short notice, but TCM is showing an interview from The Tonight Show with Bette Davis from 2/9/83 at 7:30 this evening.

I've seen this (or parts of it) and it's quite good.

I just noticed that she's the star of the month

Of Human Bondage (1934) at 8:00 and

Fog Over Frisco (1934) at 9:30. I've never seen this.

Time to dive into the schedule

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly....vmonthschedule

Last edited by ronmac; 11-05-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

THIS is why TCM is a national treasure. Look at this fucking all-day lineup for tomorrow.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.ht...ate=2019-11-06
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just noticed that she's the star of the month
    Oh, good!

I watched Parachute Jumper earlier with her and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. In fact, I only watched it because of her, the fact it was made in 1932, and because it was only an hour and 12 minutes. It was surprisingly enjoyable, even if it wasn't a great movie.

And I don't care what you guys say, Bette Davis was sexy!

The thing I wanted to tell you guys about, tho, was a scene toward the end when "Toodles" (played by Frank McHugh; you'd know him if you saw him) tries to hitch-hike, sticking his thumb out at a passing car. The car doesn't stop. What does Toodles do? I swear to God - he stuck his middle finger up at the car as it drove away. I didn't even know that was a thing back then! I hope they make it available to stream because I want to see that bit again to make sure I saw what I think I saw.

But speaking of Bette Davis, there are some old BD movies available to stream right now; and they're all pre-Hays Code!

20,000 Years in Sing-Sing (w/Spencer Tracy)
    Three on a Match (w/Bogey, Joan Blondell, & Edward Arnold)
    Bureau of Missing Persons (w/Pat O'Brien)
    The Working Man

Thanks Ron!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Of Human Bondage (1934) at 8:00 and

Fog Over Frisco (1934) at 9:30. I've never seen this.
    Watched most of both of them - quite dated in their treatment of women (my wife is a huge Bette fan but she calls this shit out all the time)

And I don't care what you guys say, Bette Davis was sexy!
    Great set of gams and what a caboose! (my wife will kill me for that)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    my wife is a huge Bette fan...
    The more I learn about her the more I like her. lol I don't know if you saw this but I commented on the post where you quoted a line from The Haunting and I said that was my favorite horror movie. She said it was hers, too.

Great set of gams and what a caboose!
    Are we talking about the same woman? I'm a connoisseur of butts and Bette Davis does not have one... or much of one. Maybe I've just never seen her in the right outfit. She's got one hell of a rack, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I noticed the director in both those films tonight managed to get a couple shots of her rear in tight skirts. I never noticed it before but yeah, there it was.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Finished watching Cat People. Good, atmospheric picture. Interesting that in both this and The Seventh Victim, Tom Conway plays a Doctor Judd. According to Wikipedia, there's some debate that they're actually the same character, though in Cat People, the earlier picture, the character is killed off. Of course, just because The Seventh Victim was written and made later, doesn't necessarily mean it can't be set before the events of Cat People. Anyway, a good picture, enjoyed watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    She's got one hell of a rack, tho.
    What you said. As for the caboose, for me it's Joan Blondell and Barbara Stanwyck. Overall beauty, though, it's Loretta Young.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I noticed the director in both those films tonight managed to get a couple shots of her rear in tight skirts. I never noticed it before but yeah, there it was.
    Good to know. I'll definitely look for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    What you said. As for the caboose, for me it's Joan Blondell and Barbara Stanwyck. Overall beauty, though, it's Loretta Young.
    Joan Blondell, huh? I've always liked her. I was going to watch Three on a Match last night but got sidetracked. Will definitely look for that, now.

If you're talking overall beauties from the Golden Age, for me it's too close to call between Ingrid Bergman, Clara Bow, and Donna Reed. If you put a gun to my head, I might give the nod to Ingrid, if only because she gave birth to another one of my all-time favorites: Isabella Rossellini, who's also gorgeous.

OTOH...

Have you ever noticed that for some people, a smile detracts from their looks? I think Bette Davis was like that (so was my ex). Ingrid Bergman was beautiful whether she smiled or not; a smile never added to her beauty. The same with Liz Taylor, altho I suspect she was self-conscious about her smile. Look through her old portraits and publicity stills and you'll notice how often she isn't smiling.

The thing about Donna Reed was that she was beautiful without smiling and yet her beauty seemed to double when she did. And then, of course, she had that "girl next door" quality which I'm a total sucker for.

OTOH...

Clara Bow was adorable regardless of her expression. Happy, sad, angry, pouty, contemplative... it didn't matter. She could also be incredibly sexy. It's no wonder she was one of the highest paid actresses in the '20s. She was, afterall, the original "it girl".
    Last edited by Hal...; 11-06-2019 at 11:35 AM.

How's this for a great picture. Joan Blondell & Bette in what I'm guessing was a publicity still for Three on a Match:

Last edited by Hal...; 11-06-2019 at 11:31 AM.

How's this for a great picture. Joan Blondell & Bette in what I'm guess was a publicity still for Three on a Match:

Nice picture. I'd not seen that before. <I had to copy and paste the URL that appeared with I clicked "Reply with Quote," as the image does not show up in your post, Hal.>

I'm with you about Clara Bow. Not matter what she did, she was "it". I just love that she is so energetic in It.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Nice picture. I'd not seen that before.
    I'd never seen it either. I stumbled across it on Google Images.

<I had to copy and paste the URL that appeared with I clicked "Reply with Quote," as the image does not show up in your post, Hal.>
    That's weird. I can see it. Huh. I'm now going to have to investigate.

<I had to copy and paste the URL that appeared with I clicked "Reply with Quote," as the image does not show up in your post, Hal.>
    I have no idea what's going on but this is what I found:

~ When I right-clicked on both pictures and then clicked "View Image", the URL was the same.
    ~ I logged out, cleared the cache, came back to this page as a guest and I could still see both pics.

That leads me to think the problem is on your end. We'll know soon enough if anyone else can't see it in my post.

I had no problem seeing the photo.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same here, no problemo
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The more I learn about her the more I like her. lol I don't know if you saw this but I commented on the post where you quoted a line from The Haunting and I said that was my favorite horror movie. She said it was hers, too.

Are we talking about the same woman? I'm a connoisseur of butts and Bette Davis does not have one... or much of one. Maybe I've just never seen her in the right outfit. She's got one hell of a rack, tho.
    . What else can I say?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Loud and clear here.

Not to be lost among all of the four-star movies on TCM today, they are showing a documentary on the early cinematographers at 8:00 and midnight

IMAGE MAKERS: THE ADVENTURES OF AMERICA'S PIONEER CINEMATOGRAPHERS

No real write-up, though, since it's new.

Hal, have you ever thought about doing a runway description in a beauty pageant?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not to be lost among all of the four-star movies on TCM today, they are showing a documentary on the early cinematographers at 8:00 and midnight

IMAGE MAKERS: THE ADVENTURES OF AMERICA'S PIONEER CINEMATOGRAPHERS
    I saw that and while I'm very interested in cinematography, I don't know what to think of it. With a few exceptions, the age of great cinematographers began in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Hal, have you ever thought about doing a runway description in a beauty pageant?
    No. They offend my feminist sensibilities. And in that respect, I should apologize for my sexism.

But I won't. lol

I saw that and while I'm very interested in cinematography, I don't know what to think of it. With a few exceptions, the age of great cinematographers began in the 50s.
    Well, they certainly had technology on their sides in the later years. The early cinematographers had little more than their artistry. They were all breaking new ground.

I've heard of Victor Sjöström and at first I wasn't sure why. I don't recall seeing The Wind but something about it looks really familiar. I looked him up and discovered he was the lead in Ingmar Bergman's Wild Strawberries. So that's where I first saw him. But why that clip is familiar I don't know unless I saw it in some film studies class.

As for cinematographers, anyone who considers him- or herself an aficionado of film should see at least one of Bergman's films shot by Sven Nykvist, especially the B&W films. Here's a list of movies to look for on TCM or at your library:

The Virgin Spring
    Through a Glass Darkly
    Winter Light
    The Silence
    Persona
    Hour of the Wolf

Believe me, none of these are your average drama. They are difficult movies, at best, imo. But are they ever gorgeous to look at. The plus is that Bergman's films are populated with Sweden's greatest actors and actresses who are also some of the world's greatest: Max von Sydow, Harriet Andersson, Ingrid Thulin, Bibi Andersson, and Liv Ullmann.

If you wanted to know where to start, I'd suggest Persona, with Bibi Andersson & Liv Ullmann, or Hour of the Wolf, with Max von Sydow and Liv Ullmann. Amazingly, both are on YouTube - in their entirety!

BTW, the actress in that clip is Lillian Gish who was in one of my all time favorite movies, The Night of the Hunter. And in case I haven't mentioned it (which I know I have), she was born in my hometown.

BTW, the actress in that clip is Lillian Gish who was in one of my all time favorite movies, The Night of the Hunter. And in case I haven't mentioned it (which I know I have), she was born in my hometown.
    That's cool!

Yeah, "The Wind" is one of those films you probably saw in a film class. It's often in docs, too. Surprisingly, it was not in the one that was on last night which I thought was quite good.

I gotta tell you guys about something that just happened. My girlfriend and I made a quick run to the store to pick up a couple things and the local NPR station was playing old songs from the 30s. The one that came on right after we got in the car was Puttin' On the Ritz.

So when the line "puttin' on the ritz" came up, I sang it like Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein. OMG, you should have seen the look she gave me!

I had to explain the premise of the movie to her and then I showed her the clip from it. That's my favorite scene in the movie and it always makes me laugh. She just looked at me like I was crazy which made me lose it. I had tears streaming down my cheeks. She just said, "I don't understand American humor," and left. This is a thing I tease her about and any chance I get to quote a funny line or act goofy I never pass up. Her reactions crack me up. Sometimes I think she thinks I'm nuts.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fantastic story, I could see myself doing the same thing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.