Page 103 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    yikes! how did I miss that?
    ?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    ?
    I'll never tell.

But, I didn't miss this:

The TCM Halloween Schedule. You can pretty much leave the TV on all day. It's like a Halloween Yule Log.

6:45 AM
    FREAKS ( 1932)
    A lady trapeze artist violates the code of the side show when she plots to murder her midget husband.
    Dir: Tod Browning Cast: Wallace Ford , Leila Hyams , Olga Baclanova .
    BW- 62 mins, CC,

8:00 AM
    DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE ( 1932)
    Robert Louis Stevenson's classic tale of a scientist who unleashes the beast within.
    Dir: Rouben Mamoulian Cast: Fredric March , Miriam Hopkins , Rose Hobart .
    BW- 96 mins, CC,

9:45 AM
    BAT, THE ( 1959)
    A female mystery novelist turns detective to unmask a demented killer.
    Dir: Crane Wilbur Cast: Vincent Price , Agnes Moorehead , Gavin Gordon .
    BW- 80 mins, CC,

11:15 AM
    HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL ( 1958)
    A millionaire offers total strangers a fortune to spend the night in a haunted house.
    Dir: William Castle Cast: Vincent Price , Carol Ohmart , Richard Long .
    BW- 75 mins, CC,

12:45 PM
    BLACK CATS AND BROOMSTICKS ( 1955)
    In this short film, superstitions are examined in the context of mid-20th century America.
    Dir: Larry O'Reilly
    BW- 8 mins,

1:00 PM
    FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE ( 1973)
    An anthology of four short horror stories revolving around an antique shop and its mysterious owner.
    Dir: Kevin Connor Cast: Peter Cushing , Diana Dors ,
    C- 98 mins, CC,

2:45 PM
    BLACK SABBATH ( 1963)
    A trio of atmospheric horror tales presented by Boris Karloff.
    Dir: Mario Bava Cast: Jacqueline Pierreux , Milly Monti , Michèle Mercier .
    C- 96 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

4:30 PM
    CHAMBER OF HORRORS ( 1966)
    A one-handed madman uses various detachable devices as murder weapons to gain revenge on those he believes have wronged him.
    Dir: Hy Averback Cast: Patrick O'Neal , Cesare Danova , Wilfrid Hyde-White .
    C- 99 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

6:15 PM
    HOUSE OF WAX ( 1953)
    A scarred sculptor re-populates his ravaged wax museum with human corpses.
    Dir: Andre DeToth Cast: Vincent Price , Frank Lovejoy , Phyllis Kirk .
    C- 88 mins, CC,

8:00 PM
    BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN ( 1935)
    To save his wife, Baron Frankenstein must build a mate for his monster.
    Dir: James Whale Cast: Karloff , Colin Clive , Valerie Hobson .
    BW- 75 mins, CC,

9:30 PM
    DEVIL-DOLL, THE ( 1936)
    A Devil's Island escapee shrinks murderous slaves and sells them to his victims as dolls.
    Dir: Tod Browning Cast: Lionel Barrymore , Maureen O'Sullivan , Frank Lawton .
    BW- 78 mins, CC,

11:00 PM
    HOUSE OF USHER ( 1960)
    A young man tries to rescue the woman he loves from her demonic brother.
    Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , Mark Damon , Myrna Fahey .
    C- 79 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

12:30 AM
    PIT AND THE PENDULUM ( 1961)
    A young man investigates his sister's death in a mysterious castle.
    Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , John Kerr , Barbara Steele .
    C- 80 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

2:00 AM
    HAUNTED PALACE, THE ( 1963)
    After inheriting a decaying estate, a man discovers his family's deadly secret.
    Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , Debra Paget , Lon Chaney [Jr.] .
    C- 87 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

3:45 AM
    DIE, MONSTER, DIE! ( 1965)
    On a trip to meet his girlfriend's family, a young man uncovers deadly secrets.
    Dir: Daniel Haller Cast: Boris Karloff , Nick Adams , Freda Jackson .
    C- 79 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

5:15 AM
    CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE ( 1957)
    A scientist's attempts to create life unleash a bloodthirsty monster.
    Dir: Terence Fisher Cast: Peter Cushing , Hazel Court , Robert Urquhart .
    C- 83 mins, CC,
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The TCM Halloween Schedule. You can pretty much leave the TV on all day. It's like a Halloween Yule Log.
    Not for me. The only one I haven't seen and have any interest in is The Bat. And that's because of Agnes Moorhead, who I'm assuming is the female mystery detective.

Have you ever noticed that in most movies where the protagonist is a woman, the actress still doesn't get top billing? At least, up to a certain year.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ran across some old pictures of some beautiful women. I'm sure you all know who they are but I won't give their names in case one of them stumps you. The most obvious one is the blond, who I've always thought was beautiful when she was young and this picture proves it. Once she got to her thirties, tho, I never felt the same.

The second is of an actress I always thought was attractive but was never really one of my favorites. But this photo shows not only how beautiful she was when she was younger but also how seductive she could be.

The third is of an actress time has pretty much forgotten but is one of my favorites. I think she's adorable. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for her.

If this one stumps you, here's a hint, which you'll need to highlight to see: she was in Beetlejuice (1988), not that that's much help.

Incidentally, the first two pictures I got from an online quiz: Can You Name These 40s Actors? It's kind of long, tho: there are 100 questions.

Many are easy if you know your actors and some are easy by process of elimination. A few were hard, tho, because either I didn't know the person or the picture used didn't help very much at all. I recognized almost all the people, tho, even if their name didn't pop to mind right away. Which reminds me. Try coming up with their name just from the picture, before you look at the possible answers.

I got a 96.

The first 2 are easy , #2 stayed beautiful through ut her career. I recognize #3 but cant recall the name.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I recognize #3 but cant recall the name.
    Did the hint help? If not, highlight this: >> Sylvia Sidney <<

Did the hint help? If not, highlight this: >> Sylvia Sidney <<
    I recognize the face , not the name.

I recognize the face , not the name.
    The first thing I remember seeing her in was WKRP in Cincinnati. I probably saw her before on some other show, I just don't remember. And then I saw her in Beetlejuice about 10 years later and immediately recognized her. I wasn't totally certain of her name but when I watched the credits, it turned out I was right. Why I remembered her name, I don't know. It was much later, tho, that I saw a couple of her old movies on AMC (remember when it was good?) and TCM.

I couldn't find a clip of of WKRP but here's one from Beetlejuice with her in it:

The first thing I remember seeing her in was WKRP in Cincinnati. I probably saw her before on some other show, I just don't remember. And then I saw her in Beetlejuice about 10 years later and immediately recognized her. I wasn't totally certain of her name but when I watched the credits, it turned out I was right. Why I remembered her name, I don't know. It was much later, tho, that I saw a couple of her old movies on AMC (remember when it was good?) and TCM.

I couldn't find a clip of of WKRP but here's one from Beetlejuice with her in it:

I recognize her older version and her young version but would never have made the connection between the two.

Oh, I'm not even trying to guess who they are. Terrible at this. Nice list of films but like Hal, I want to see The Bat again. Hal, in you ruthless and uncalled for attack on me concerning your football team, well, I've decided to let your harsh remarks pass. Let's move on to more interesting things.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Dang. And they just stopped showing WKRP here.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Oh, I'm not even trying to guess who they are.
    1. Bette Davis
    2. Myrna Loy
    3. Sylvia Sidney

Hal, in your ruthless and uncalled for attack on me concerning your football team, well, I've decided to let your harsh remarks pass. Let's move on to more interesting things.
    lol. I said I was just kidding.

BTW, after the way Illinois handled them, I'm now no longer worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Dang. And they just stopped showing WKRP here.
    From what I read, she was only in the first episode. From what I remember, she was in more than one but only in the first season. She played Mr Carlson's mother.

Bette Davis was a cinch. How could anyone not recognize those eyes? FWIW, I never considered her beautiful. But she was certainly VERY attractive in the way she carried herself.
    Last edited by ronmac; 10-21-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Myrna Loy is the best looking of the bunch. I liked Loy's movies better than Davis's. Hers were to melodramatic. But she certainly was at the pinical.

SAT question
    Mick Jagger is to Steven Tyler as Bette Davis is to ????????

From what I read, she was only in the first episode. From what I remember, she was in more than one but only in the first season. She played Mr Carlson's mother.
    It's been so long since I've seen the show, id on't remember, but Wikipedia says Sylvia Sydney played Lillian Carlson in the pilot only. After she was played by Carol Bruce.

As for Bette Davis, well, I don't think I've seen many of her classic movies. In fact, the main thing of her's that I've seen is the Return To Witch Mountain, which I think was my introduction to both her and Christopher Lee. I also remember seeing her on talk show in the 80's. On one of them, someone asked her about the song Bette Davis Eyes, and she said she had no idea what the song was about, but she was thankful to Kim Carnes for making her "part of the modern era" or something like that.

FWIW, I never considered her beautiful. But she was certainly VERY attractive in the way she carried herself.
    I was looking at some other old pictures of her, from the '20s and '30s and I know what you mean. But, it also depended on her expression, her pose, and hair style. There were a lot of unattractive hairstyles back then. I think she's adorable in Petrified Forest, partly because her hairstyle is so cute.

In some pictures, I'd say she's maybe a little above average. In others, she's just cute. But in this one, I really think she's beautiful:

I also realized that it was when she started "eating better" that her looks faded. Given the shape of her face, she's a lot prettier when her face is thinner.

How do you guys pronounce her first name? I go back and forth because my mom always pronounced it "bet".

Myrna Loy is the best looking of the bunch.
    No doubt. After I first saw The Thin Man, I had a little bit of a crush on her. She's so cute in that movie.

And I liked Loy's movies better, too. But of the two, my favorite is The Petrified Forest. Love that movie. Most would probably say All About Eve was her best movie but I never really liked the story, altho I'd say it was her best role. I also really liked Pocketful of Miracles.

BTW, I was just looking over Loy's filmography. Holy shit, she was in a lot of movies! She started in the silent era when she was just 20. Many of them are uncredited bit parts, tho.

SAT question
    Mick Jagger is to Steven Tyler as Bette Davis is to ????????
    I thought of an actress but I can't think of her name; I can't even think of a movie she was in. Is she relatively new?

Edit: It came to me. Emma Stone? But she doesn't really look like BD. She does have large, wide set eyes, tho. So does Anne Hathaway.

I don't know.

I was looking at some other old pictures of her, from the '20s and '30s and I know what you mean. But, it also depended on her expression, her pose, and hair style. There were a lot of unattractive hairstyles back then. I think she's adorable in Petrified Forest, partly because her hairstyle is so cute.

In some pictures, I'd say she's maybe a little above average. In others, she's just cute. But in this one, I really think she's beautiful:

I also realized that it was when she started "eating better" that her looks faded. Given the shape of her face, she's a lot prettier when her face is thinner.

How do you guys pronounce her first name? I go back and forth because my mom always pronounced it "bet".

No doubt. After I first saw The Thin Man, I had a little bit of a crush on her. She's so cute in that movie.

And I liked Loy's movies better, too. But of the two, my favorite is The Petrified Forest. Love that movie. Most would probably say All About Eve was her best movie but I never really liked the story, altho I'd say it was her best role. I also really liked Pocketful of Miracles.

BTW, I was just looking over Loy's filmography. Holy shit, she was in a lot of movies! She started in the silent era when she was just 20. Many of them are uncredited bit parts, tho.

I thought of an actress but I can't think of her name; I can't even think of a movie she was in. Is she relatively new?

Edit: It came to me. Emma Stone? But she doesn't really look like BD. She does have large, wide set eyes, tho. So does Anne Hathaway.

I don't know.
    On the SAT question , my answer was an actress from the same era. If Tyler is to Jagger because his look and style are similar but not quite as good as the original , that would be the criteria of the second actress. Similar look , without the same chops as Davis. They shared the spotlight for awhile in later thirties and early 40s.

The name that immediately popped to mind was Joan Crawford.

She was another one that was really attractive in her youth:

BTW, you didn't answer my question regarding Davis: How do you guys pronounce her first name? I go back and forth because my mom always pronounced it "bet".

^^ Except that Crawford was every bit as good an actor as Davis. They were both giants.

Bette = Betty

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've always heard it as bet
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^ Except that Crawford was every bit as good an actor as Davis. They were both giants.

Bette = Betty
    I'm with you on both counts, Ron. Joan was definitely as good as "Betty".
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'm with you on both counts, Ron. Joan was definitely as good as "Betty".
    Yep, I can watch either of them. Yes, Joan was a witch. But, man could she act.

Ruth Elizabeth Davis, known from early childhood as "Betty", was born on April 5, 1908, in Lowell, Massachusetts, the daughter of Harlow Morrell Davis (1885–1938), a law student from Augusta, Maine, and subsequently a patent attorney, and Ruth Augusta (née Favór; 1885–1961), from Tyngsboro, Massachusetts.

Davis later changed the spelling of her first name to "Bette" after Honoré de Balzac's La Cousine Bette.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bette_Davis