Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zappa releases

New Zappa releases

Coming July 15!

1) "The Crux of the Biscuit was created in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of Frank Zappa's 1974 album Apostrophe('). As part of Zappa Records' ongoing Frank Zappa Project/Object Audio Documentary Series, it contains rare alternate mixes, live performances, and studio session outtakes."

1. Cosmik Debris
    2. Uncle Remus (Mix Outtake)
    3. Down In De Dew (Alternate Mix)
    4. Apostrophe’ (Mix Outtake)
    5. The Story Of Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow/St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast
    6. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow/St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast (Live)
    7. Excentrifugal Forz (Mix Outtake)
    8. Energy Frontier (Take 4)
    9. Energy Frontier (Take 6 with OD’s)
    10. Energy Frontier (Bridge)
    11. Cosmik Debris (Basic Tracks Take 3)
    12. Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow (Basic Tracks- Alternate Take)
    13. Nanook Rubs It (Basic Tracks- Outtake)
    14. Nanook Rubs It (Session Outtake)
    15. Frank's Last Words.....

2) "Frank Zappa for President ? You betcha! We know at various times he wanted to run for office. In the spirit of the dramatic 2016 presidential election adventures comes a release that gives us a glimpse into what could have been. This album is comprised of unreleased compositions realized on the Synclavier, along with other relevant tracks mined from the Vault, with a political thread tying it all together. Don't forget to register and vote!"

1. Overture to “Uncle Sam”
    2. Brown Shoes Don’t Make It (Remix)
    3. Amnerika (Vocal Version)
    4. “If I Was President…”
    5. When the Lie’s So Big (Live)
    6. Medieval Ensemble
    7. America the Beautiful (Live)

And also... (June 24)

3) "EAT THAT QUESTION: Frank Zappa in His Own Words, Thorsten Schütte's documentary which premiered at 2016 Sundance will be released by Sony Pictures Classics.

The film is an energetic celebration of Zappa and his extraordinary musical and political legacy, told entirely through a treasure trove of archival footage culled from the performer's 30-year career in entertainment. Weaving together rare TV interviews and performances from around the world, the film explores Frank Zappa's bravura musicianship and eccentric charisma--his outspoken and outrageous combination of slicing acerbic wit, righteous indignation, and anti-authoritarian irreverence.
    Through archival film material of Zappa live, once buried in oblivion and unearthed by Schütte, EAT THAT QUESTION portrays the essence and landmarks of a unique career and creates an eclectic portrait of one of the most original composers and cerebral minds of the 20th century. Zappa's provocative music and ideas cut across generations, while his goal of freeing the listener from conformity still resonates today. "

Avuncular interjection : since the crux of the biscuit may, under certain circumstances, denote ownership, I say : me wantey !
    Last edited by unclemeat; 06-12-2016 at 07:24 AM.

No need to wrap these, i'll eat them here.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

.must.squeeze.every.last.drop.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    .must.squeeze.every.last.drop.
    If they don't interest you, you don't have to buy them.

There are many Zappa (and Crimson and XTC and Soft Machine and Henry Cow and Art Zoyd and etc) fans who are grateful for the opportunity to get previously unreleased stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

At least this is unreleased material, rather than another archival re-issue or worse, remix.

Oh my. Yes, please.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I want it. Curious to know what is this "Energy Frontier" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    If they don't interest you, you don't have to buy them.

There are many Zappa (and Crimson and XTC and Soft Machine and Henry Cow and Art Zoyd and etc) fans who are grateful for the opportunity to get previously unreleased stuff.
    well given the internal feuds in between the Zappa clans (you started that thread, I believe) and the fact that the contents of these new products are remixes and alt versions for the most part, I most likely won't

Somehow the Zappa œuvre is slowly starting to look like the Hendrix estate's exploitation of Jimi's least second of jamming on tape... IMHO, of course
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Somehow the Zappa œuvre is slowly starting to look like the Hendrix estate's exploitation of Jimi's least second of jamming on tape...
    Well Jimi had a few songs in the can when he died that had never been released, and some live recordings of course -- but nothing like the ARCHIVES of unheard tapes in the Zappa, and for that matter Prince, vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    At least this is unreleased material, rather than another archival re-issue or worse, remix.
    The archival releases are not re-issues for the most part. I'm going for Road Tapes #3 at the moment. Crux is going to be available from general retailers at a good price.

Looks like they've decided to release just the bonus disc instead of making us all buy Apostrophe (') again. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I want it. Curious to know what is this "Energy Frontier" thing.
    It is another track from the session with Jack Bruce.

I just wish they'd put out the Ritz show from November 81 already. The Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore/Moggio suite from that show features some of the best guitar work I've heard from Frank. I still think he made a colossal mistake by breaking up that suite when he put those three pieces of music out on separate albums (and also by moving Envelopes so that it occurred after Drowning Witch on Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch, instead of preceding it, as it does on at least some of the shows of that 81 tour). There's probably a half dozen or more other shows I'd like to see issued, but that's the Ritz (and in particular that one LP side's worth of music) is right there at the top of the list.

"Envelopes" preceded "Drowning Witch" throughout the 1981 tour. In 1982 they played "Envelopes" after "Drowning Witch" as it was on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    "Envelopes" preceded "Drowning Witch" throughout the 1981 tour. In 1982 they played "Envelopes" after "Drowning Witch" as it was on the album.
    Yes, I know. That was my point. I know my armchair record producer opinion doesn't mean anything but I still say side two of Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch should have been Envelopes/Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore?/Moggio.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes, I know. That was my point. I know my armchair record producer opinion doesn't mean anything but I still say side two of Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch should have been Envelopes/Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore?/Moggio.
    Probably couldn't fit all of those on one LP side, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The tracks as released total around 20-21 minutes so it's possible, although Zappa tended to favor 15-17 minute LP sides in the 80's.

Looks like some fun stuff!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Where's my Uncle Meat Project Object?!

I ran a stopwatch on that part of the Ritz show, and it timed out to about 22 minutes, which is well within the limits of LP side length. Of course, if one was to nitpick and say "Oh, we're gonna lose bottom" then I would say drop Envelopes, and have the LP side start with Drowning Witch, just like on the Thigh bootleg.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    then I would say drop Envelopes
    No thanks. I personally love it the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Where's my Uncle Meat Project Object?!
    I think it was released under the titles Weasels Ripped My Flesh and Burnt Weeny Sandwich.

Seriously, I remember years ago reading that those albums were originally supposed to be part of a big box that Frank wanted to put out in 1970, I believe called No Commercial Potential: The History And Collected Improvisations of The Mothers Of Invention. Warners kept nixing the project, then the oil shortage hit (which meant the price of actually manufacturing records went up), and then you had the recession, which Frank felt meant that it would be too expensive for most fans to afford.

Also, Frank said Warners only wanted to count the archival release (which got downsized a couple times) as one album, whereas he wanted each disc in the set to count as an album, as per his contract. In other words, Frank's contract with Warners stipulated he owned them a certain number of albums, with them coming out about every 12 months or so. Frank felt that, say if the box ended up being five LP's, he wanted that to count as five albums delivered to Warners, and Warners said "No, that's just one album". I gather that if said box had come out, say in 1972 or whenever, Warners would have still expected him to deliver an album or two of new material with the current band that same year.

I've also heard it suggested that a lot of the stuff that would have been on that box ended up being released as part of the You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore set. At some point in the 70's, Lowell George did an interview where the topic was apparently brought up, and he said one of the things was a skit that they did where he plays a German border guard, and if I recall correctly, such a recording appears on YCDTOSA Vol. 5 disc 1. Supposedly, Gail was asked about it at some point after Frank died, and she said that the material got dispersed in such a fashion across various releases, that it'd be unlikely for them to attempt to recreate the original package Frank had conceived back in 1970 or whenever it was.

So your Uncle Meat Project/Object is probably scattered across Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, and YCDTOSA Vols. 1 and 5, I think.

No thanks. I personally love it the way it is.
    Well, Envelopes could have been released on any album, it didn't have to be on Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch. It could have been on Man From Utopia, or FZ Meets The Mothers Of Prevention, etc.

I just think that suite, as it occurred on the 81 together flowed together so well, it's a damn shame Frank felt compelled to break it up on the official releases the way he did. And there's never even been a live release that presents the music as it was played (maybe because Frank insisted on at least two occasions that I know of that Drowning Witch was never played correctly, and thus there's the view that releasing something like the Ritz 81 would entail releasing something that "isn't up to Frank's standards" or whatever.