Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zappa releases

It’s really a great time to be a FZ fan !

Guess I miss the boat on the bundles. You can get the box, shirt, and book; or box, shirt, book, and colored vinyl LP. I could go for a bundle of box, book, and LP, but I could do without that shirt.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you need more detail on what's-what in this set, you need to leave it up to the fans:
    http://united-mutations.blogspot.com...-6-cd-set.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If you need more detail on what's-what in this set, you need to leave it up to the fans:
    http://united-mutations.blogspot.com...-6-cd-set.html
    They grabbed the info that was posted yesterday (that I guess Joe said was released by mistake).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    They grabbed the info that was posted yesterday (that I guess Joe said was released by mistake).
    I thought so, but when I couldn't find it when it came back and googled some of the phrases I remembered, I ended up at united-mutations, so I thought I was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    It’s really a great time to be a FZ fan !
    Perhaps, but it was better when he was alive and touring.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My Amazon Canada pre-order of the Halloween '73 set is now listing release date as November 1.

November 1. The day after Halloween.

All others still list October 25. But I can't order from anywhere else and still have it in time for Halloween anyway.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

What's next ? According to the Vaultmeister, Petit Wazoo, and Synclavier stuff.

The Australian 1973 shows, a 1988 video compilation, more Halloween boxes are among the possibilities also mentioned here :
    https://www.zappa.com/news/zappacast...JlSaEOAXeoYUSc

Been listening on Spotifuck this morning - sounds solid. I've listened to so many shows from this tour now I'm not as pumped up as I thought I would be... but still - the improv segments should excite.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Been listening on Spotifuck this morning - sounds solid. I've listened to so many shows from this tour now I'm not as pumped up as I thought I would be... but still - the improv segments should excite.
    Yeah - even though this era is either tops or near the top for FZ for me - I'm a little "Roxy-ied" out. Never thought I'd say that, but it's getting a bit samey amongst all of these releases. The solos and improv bits will be the highlights for me.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Spent the afternoon listening to the Halloween '73 box. Up to Disc #3 thus far and loving it. If you enjoy Roxy & Elsewhere or the Roxy box then this is on that continuum.

Looks like the Hot Rats box has been pushed back now. Amazon says Jan 10th, but I've read elsewhere Feb 15?!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Looks like the Hot Rats box has been pushed back now. Amazon says Jan 10th, but I've read elsewhere Feb 15?!
    Argh. I was so looking forward to this to arrive as a little Christmas prezzie to myself....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Argh. I was so looking forward to this to arrive as a little Christmas prezzie to myself....
    Yeah, I'm quite sure my wife has this pre-ordered, as it's the one thing I asked for. She's going to be disappointed, even though I won't mind waiting a bit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hmmm. I just checked Amazon US and it's still showing December 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Hmmm. I just checked Amazon US and it's still showing December 20th.
    Indeed, also 12/20 at Amazon UK. Maybe it’s a distribution thing to Canada...maybe I need to cancel and reorder elsewhere!
    John Kelman

The Hot Rats Sessions is simply amazing, and an essential listening in my opinion. It is not only the in-depth look into the creative process of Zappa, it is the quality of the unedited masters that make this essential. I am listening right now to Another Waltz, which is a half-hour improvisation from which the mid-section of Little House I Used To Live ensued. It is an incredible recording in its entirety. The only reason that this didn'tn appear in an official release at the time is its length I guess, and not its quality. Sugarcane Harris destroys the field on this one.

I am not a completist at all, but these sessions deserve at least a serious and devoted listen from Zappa Freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The Hot Rats Sessions is simply amazing, and an essential listening in my opinion. It is not only the in-depth look into the creative process of Zappa, it is the quality of the unedited masters that make this essential. I am listening right now to Another Waltz, which is a half-hour improvisation from which the mid-section of Little House I Used To Live ensued. It is an incredible recording in its entirety. The only reason that this didn'tn appear in an official release at the time is its length I guess, and not its quality. Sugarcane Harris destroys the field on this one.

I am not a completist at all, but these sessions deserve at least a serious and devoted listen from Zappa Freaks.
    I have only skimmed this set, but agree to Zappathustra 104%. Such an amazing insight to the creative process by FZ in the studio plus stellar jams, tunes, improvs, and all in GORGEOUS vintage analog sound that hits the sweet spot. This must go down as one of the best posthumous FZ releases. The opening piano compositions are unbelievable. There is no way anybody will call this less than amazing - from FZ newbies to hardore fanatics.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Since amazon Canada pushed the release back to January 10, I canceled and ordered from amazon USA. It’s supposed to arrived from ups sometime today, and I cannot wait..even more now, based on what you’ve written!
    John Kelman

You know, I’d convinced myself I didn’t need to have the set, then you come out with this. Man!

I guess there is still time to return the kids’ presents and raise a little cash. I certainly hope you’re proud of yourself.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    You know, I’d convinced myself I didn’t need to have the set, then you come out with this. Man!

I guess there is still time to return the kids’ presents and raise a little cash. I certainly hope you’re proud of yourself.
    What to do? I also had zero expectations - plus an innate personal dislike for all deluxe boxsets. But this one really deserves all praise: just listening to Frank stopping the recording and giving these insightful instructions to the musicians is a gift on its own.

You could buy it as a present to the newborn!

How is the board game?

And can I play it while wearing my Zappa mask and monster hands?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

What to do? I also had zero expectations - plus an innate personal dislike for all deluxe boxsets. But this one really deserves all praise: just listening to Frank stopping the recording and giving these insightful instructions to the musicians is a gift on its own.

Mine arrived 90 mins ago. After ripping the discs to my DAP, I’m now near the end of listening to the first CD on the stereo. As someone who absolutely loves process (so these deluxe boxes are heavenly for me), I’m already loving it....and man, almost 7.5 hours of music, including the ‘87 remix which I can now contrast and compare with my original mix.

What a terrific set!
    John Kelman

The funny thing is that we’re thinking of calling him Vincent, and the Zappa connection only just occurred to me (consciously...). So it would be apt.

However, I’m not sure Mum would be entirely convinced.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile