Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 176 to 196 of 196

Thread: New Zappa releases

  1. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    However, I’m not sure Mum would be entirely convinced.
    "Love, I got him a board game, which - oh, look! - includes 8 hours of Zappa music".

  2. #177
    Hearing Ron Selico gradually approach THAT drum fill is pretty special In fact it's amazing just how far Peaches develops in those 18 takes, considering quite a few are false starts.

    Matt.

  3. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Hearing Ron Selico gradually approach THAT drum fill is pretty special In fact it's amazing just how far Peaches develops in those 18 takes, considering quite a few are false starts.

    Matt.
    Yes! It's quite clear that many things just came up in the studio. Of course with the ever present presence and guidance of Uncle Frank.

  4. #179
    Member Jay.Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    364
    Some great stuff indeed...




  5. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Hearing Ron Selico gradually approach THAT drum fill is pretty special In fact it's amazing just how far Peaches develops in those 18 takes, considering quite a few are false starts.

    Matt.
    I’m up to disc 3 and, already, what an amazing treasure trove of music!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  6. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    "Love, I got him a board game, which - oh, look! - includes 8 hours of Zappa music".
    You just might be on to something here...
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  7. #182
    According to the Vaultmeister, 2020 will be a big Zappa year.2019 wasn't too shabby.
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/268746/23...pJsCW9JO94P9Mg

    In the pipeline : 1970 studio and live recordings ; a Zappa & Beefheart project (not from the Bongo Fury tour) ; Mothers at the Whiskey 1968.
    There is also talk of a 200 Motels reissue for 2021. I suppose that the Wazoo box set will happen after that.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:06 AM.

  8. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Wazoo box
    Say what?

  9. #184
    He has mentioned a Waka/Wazoo box in the past. Probably will happen.

  10. #185
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    933
    Having gone through the Hot Rats box...I'd say the least essential of this big Zappa projects but interesting to get the sneak peak in the studio. Certainly not something I want to listen to often, though.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  11. #186
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    According to the Vaultmeister, 2020 will be a big Zappa year.2019 wasn't too shabby.
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/268746/23...pJsCW9JO94P9Mg

    In the pipeline : 1970 studio and live recordings ; a Zappa & Beefheart project (not from the Bongo Fury tour) ; Mothers at the Whiskey 1968.
    There is also talk of a 200 Motels reissue for 2021. I suppose that the Wazoo box set will happen after that.
    Mmmmm...1970s studio & 68 live stuff...color me excited.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  12. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Having gone through the Hot Rats box...I'd say the least essential of this big Zappa projects but interesting to get the sneak peak in the studio. Certainly not something I want to listen to often, though.
    I have to disagree on "the least essential" statement, although...yes, I don't know how often one can listen to it. There is material of, I would say, a couple of hours which has an independent value and would make an excellent double CD release that could stand on its own as a great Zappa record. But the whole experience of entering the studio process is not to be discarded either, and it is worth I believe a couple of listens. It is surprising how well the rhythm tracks stand on their own - and the glimpse into Zappa's guiding intervention is priceless.

    Compared to Meat Light for example, this is a far more rewarding package in my opinion.

  13. #188
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I have to disagree on "the least essential" statement, although...yes, I don't know how often one can listen to it. There is material of, I would say, a couple of hours which has an independent value and would make an excellent double CD release that could stand on its own as a great Zappa record. But the whole experience of entering the studio process is not to be discarded either, and it is worth I believe a couple of listens. It is surprising how well the rhythm tracks stand on their own - and the glimpse into Zappa's guiding intervention is priceless.

    Compared to Meat Light for example, this is a far more rewarding package in my opinion.
    Well, perhaps its just me, but I don't consider Meat/Light one of these big boxes...by that I meant the Halloween 73 (and I guess Halloween 78, although the big box never had a physical release), The expanded Live In NY set, The Roxy Performances, and the Orchestral Favorites set (which, I guess is pretty small too, in comparison). Meat/Light I equate more to Lumpy Money, for example.

    And actually, I find the rhythm tracks on the least interesting side of the content. Hearing Peaches without the melody line is more or less useless to me. I did like the percussion track for It Must Be A Camel though. More of that would have been welcomed (although I suspect only by a very small number of people").
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  14. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I did like the percussion track for It Must Be A Camel though. More of that would have been welcomed (although I suspect only by a very small number of people").
    Yeah, that one is amazing.

  15. #190
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Well, perhaps its just me, but I don't consider Meat/Light one of these big boxes...by that I meant the Halloween 73 (and I guess Halloween 78, although the big box never had a physical release), The expanded Live In NY set, The Roxy Performances, and the Orchestral Favorites set (which, I guess is pretty small too, in comparison). Meat/Light I equate more to Lumpy Money, for example.
    The Zappa archival release campaign has several ongoing threads. Although not billed as such on the packaging, Halloween '73 is a continuation of the Road Tapes series (as confirmed by Joe Travers), which are live recordings using tape sources that Zappa himself would not have considered for release. (H73 was recorded direct to stereo on two tracks of a 4-track tape, with track 3 being the audience track and track 4 unused.) Lumpy Money, Meat Light, and Hot Rats Sessions belong to the Project/Object series that began with The MOFO Project/Object and also includes Greasy Love Songs and The Crux of the Biscuit, each focusing on the creation of one of FZ's studio albums. The expanded Orchestral Favorites seems to be halfway between a Project/Object and the "live run" sets like Halloween '77, Roxy, and the expanded Zappa in New York.

  16. #191
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Zappa archival release campaign has several ongoing threads. Although not billed as such on the packaging, Halloween '73 is a continuation of the Road Tapes series (as confirmed by Joe Travers), which are live recordings using tape sources that Zappa himself would not have considered for release. (H73 was recorded direct to stereo on two tracks of a 4-track tape, with track 3 being the audience track and track 4 unused.) Lumpy Money, Meat Light, and Hot Rats Sessions belong to the Project/Object series that began with The MOFO Project/Object and also includes Greasy Love Songs and The Crux of the Biscuit, each focusing on the creation of one of FZ's studio albums. The expanded Orchestral Favorites seems to be halfway between a Project/Object and the "live run" sets like Halloween '77, Roxy, and the expanded Zappa in New York.
    Interesting they decided to abandon the road tapes name. And while this Hot Rats one does feel more Project/Object-y, I associate it with the big boys more because of sheer size, silly extraneous material, and price. (However wrong my thinking is)

    But, even still...if I'm forced to put it with the other Project/Objects, it wouldn't take the top spot for me. That would belong to Lumpy Money.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  17. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I have to disagree on "the least essential" statement, although...yes, I don't know how often one can listen to it. There is material of, I would say, a couple of hours which has an independent value and would make an excellent double CD release that could stand on its own as a great Zappa record. But the whole experience of entering the studio process is not to be discarded either, and it is worth I believe a couple of listens. It is surprising how well the rhythm tracks stand on their own - and the glimpse into Zappa's guiding intervention is priceless.

    Compared to Meat Light for example, this is a far more rewarding package in my opinion.
    I’m with you. I think the Hot Rats Sessions is tremendous, a real window into how a classic album was made. And just how key Ian Underwood was. I’ve finally listened to the whole box through, as I’ve received a number of new boxes and other new music (well, at least, new to me) recently, including - speaking of Zappa only - the Halloween ‘73, Orchestral Faves AND a copy of Halloween ‘77 that was new from an online store that still had a copy at list price.

    And I’ve gotta get back to writing. So I’m trying to juggle a lot of new music. But of the new boxes, I rate the Hot Rats Sessions as one of the best that I’ve received post-Gentle Giant/Floyd. Others? The Prince 1999 Super Deluxe, the 5-CD deluxe soundtrack to Ken Burns’ Country Music documentary series, the Robin Trower Studio Albums 1973-1983 (hard to believe I’d heard so few of them), the Hendrix Band of Gypsys...and also, some boxes I picked up earlier this year but haven’t given the time they deserved, like the Ronnie Lane box., which is a really lovely box...not blindingly impressive, just somehow warm, amiable and appealing, in a really understated way,.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  18. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’m with you. I think the Hot Rats Sessions is tremendous, a real window into how a classic album was made. And just how key Ian Underwood was. I’ve finally listened to the whole box through, as I’ve received a number of new boxes and other new music (well, at least, new to me) recently, including - speaking of Zappa only - the Halloween ‘73, Orchestral Faves AND a copy of Halloween ‘77 that was new from an online store that still had a copy at list price.
    Ian Underwood is truly everywhere in these sessions - his talent was the perfect complementary force for Zappa's creativity.

    Of the boxes you mention, the least appealing to me was Halloween 73. It covers ground that has already been documented heavily, and in better forms in my opinion.

  19. #194
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,961
    Well, with the Amazon Canada release date arbitrarily changed awhile back to January 10th (this Friday), I still am without the Hot Rats set, despite every other country getting it on December 20th. And there's no pending charge on my credit card like there normally is with release date so close. So, despite having it pre-ordered since October, it looks like I'll just be sitting and waiting for it for some unknown reason and for an unknown length of time. I just don't understand why we get shafted like this. WHY are these release dates changed here SO often?
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  20. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, with the Amazon Canada release date arbitrarily changed awhile back to January 10th (this Friday), I still am without the Hot Rats set, despite every other country getting it on December 20th. And there's no pending charge on my credit card like there normally is with release date so close. So, despite having it pre-ordered since October, it looks like I'll just be sitting and waiting for it for some unknown reason and for an unknown length of time. I just don't understand why we get shafted like this. WHY are these release dates changed here SO often?
    I don’t know, but I decided,,when I saw what amazon Canada had done to cancel the order, spend a little extra money and order from amazon USA. It was well worth the extra bucks.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  21. #196
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,961
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I don’t know, but I decided,,when I saw what amazon Canada had done to cancel the order, spend a little extra money and order from amazon USA. It was well worth the extra bucks.
    Yeah, that's what I did with the Halloween 73 box when I saw that its release date had been inexplicably pushed forward (again, only in Canada), and it worked out well. In this case, it was a Christmas present from my wife, so I had to sit tight.

    As it happens, the pending charge on the credit card showed up overnight, so I was being a bit too pouty about the whole thing I think. She chose priority shipping, so fingers crossed that I get it tomorrow ('release' date). Either way, at least I know it's coming soon. Keeping a Zappa boxed set just out of reach of a Zappahead like me is just cruel!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •