Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: New Zappa releases

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I listened to the standard 4 CD Set and there is no King Kong (or other track) with Ponty who did from memory only the december 70 Paris concert as a guest. Is there a deluxe edition with more material ?
    Is the Palais Gaumont show?

I have had that as a ROIO as "Paralipomeni della Batracomiomacha"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Is the Palais Gaumont show?

I have had that as a ROIO as "Paralipomeni della Batracomiomacha"

Yes,
    A heavily bootlegged show that Zappa released as Disconnected Synapses in the Beat The Boots box, but already saw your title apparently a link to the frog eating Frenchies

The eons are closing
    Yeah...never had the opportunity to get that box set...

Yeah...never had the opportunity to get that box set...

It has become quite expensive , the second box even more, but the individual CDs are quite easy to find for a decent price.
    I listened yesterday to Swiss Cheese/Fire the famous Montreux concert released on Foo-eee/ Rhino, one of my favourite Z boots.
    Btw it would be interesting to release a box with the best MOI 2 70/71 concerts , the band had become much better and the setlist more interesting in 71

I have Beat the Boots #1 box. Was thinking about unloading it...I need to thin out my collection. Still unsure.

The eons are closing
    I do have some of the boots that were in the sets. I do have the Foo-Eee 2cd set of Paris show "Any Way the Wind Blows" which I believe is 1978? given the band...

I do have the Foo-Eee 2cd set of Paris show "Any Way the Wind Blows" which I believe is 1978? given the band...

I have that original vinyl of that one on a different label. It's from '79.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I have Beat the Boots #1 box. Was thinking about unloading it...I need to thin out my collection. Still unsure.
    As the ZFT keeps pumping out shows and archival releases, those boots I sought out and coveted twenty years ago are far less valuable. Pretty sure I ripped them all to my hard drive and dumped them at a local charity. I'm all for thinning out a collection from time to time and have infrequently (don't want to say never) regretted dumping some oft-ignored, rarely-listened-to former gem.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    As the ZFT keeps pumping out shows and archival releases, those boots I sought out and coveted twenty years ago are far less valuable. Pretty sure I ripped them all to my hard drive and dumped them at a local charity. I'm all for thinning out a collection from time to time and have infrequently (don't want to say never) regretted dumping some oft-ignored, rarely-listened-to former gem.
    I'll NEVER part with my vinyl boots or my orignal releases I got from a guy I used to work with. This was back around 1981. He was hard up for cash and sold me all of his Zappa vinyl for 3-5 bucks each. Absolutely free, WOIIFTM, 200 Motels, Mothermania, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, and Ruben & the Jets.

Regretfully, no Freak Out.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I listened today to a nice Pal Studio compilation 'Masked Turnip Cyclophony' 25 tracks some I didn't had so far plus the audio track of the Steve Allen show nice cover too.
    Question : Is this Beefheart singing on 'Why Don't You Do Me Right' . Summer 63 , Frank on guitar and co-lead vocal ?

The only one of the Beat The Boots things I ever got around to getting was As An Am, which turned up in the used bins at Wax Stax, at some point. Some righteous guitar solos on that disc.

Looks like the Alex Winter team (remember that 2016 Kickstarter thing ?) is about to send out some FZ movie-related goodies.
    Time to check if your shipping adress is up to date on zappa.backerkit.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Did I read somewhere that this has tracks that are from audience tapes?
    Not exactly. All the live material on discs 3 and 4 was recorded with Frank's trusty 2-track UHER machine, but the disc 3 material was recorded with dual mics placed in the audience section by him or the sound engineer.

According to the liner notes, Frank didn't start making proper multitrack live recordings himself until 1971. Anything before that was either an outside production or used the UHER machine.

Sound quality on the Uher stuff is a bit raw, but nowhere near as bad as it's described in the liner notes.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Not exactly. All the live material on discs 3 and 4 was recorded with Frank's trusty 2-track UHER machine, but the disc 3 material was recorded with dual mics placed in the audience section by him or the sound engineer.

According to the liner notes, Frank didn't start making proper multitrack live recordings himself until 1971. Anything before that was either an outside production or used the UHER machine.
    I believe Frank only occasionally recorded on multi-track before the early 80's. In the liner notes of the You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Sampler (yeah, the double LP that came out at the same time as Vol. I), Frank mentions that before he bought the UMRK mobile, he'd hire a remote truck every time he'd play either London, LA or NYC, so that he could record those shows on multi-track. He said the thing was, if someone was sick or there was something else that caused a less than stellar performance, it'd be captured in perfect sound. Conversely, often the band would give a totally brilliant performance. in some town or hamlet or somewhere that would be heard in 2 or 8-track sound.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post

Beginning with the Just Another Band From L.A. concert in August 1971, FZ used a 4-track Scully machine for "road tapes" up through 1979.

I listened today to a nice Pal Studio compilation 'Masked Turnip Cyclophony' 25 tracks some I didn't had so far plus the audio track of the Steve Allen show nice cover too.
    Question : Is this Beefheart singing on 'Why Don't You Do Me Right' . Summer 63 , Frank on guitar and co-lead vocal ?
    Looks like Spotify Premium has that track as part of a Paul Buff compilation (vol 3), someone with access to it could help confirm.

I gather this is the same version as on Joe's Xmasage, where the other voice is identified as "Floyd," who also is mentioned in the Freak Out list. (The other 1963 recording, from January, is all Frank.)
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Y'all didn't say it came with a button. A button! Sweet!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

istened again a bit more focused to the Lumpy Money set. I had kept my first Zappa Records twofer Lumpy/ Money with the horrible 84 mix ( btw did Zappa himself all these bass and drums re-recordings?) From memory when he rediscovered the master tapes parts of the drum and bass tracks were erased.
    So while listening to the 84 mix I realized that there is some extra material , the mix is about 3 minutes longer then the 84 twofer mix which has the same length as the original vinyl release.
    The beginning is completely different with a nice choir section for about 2 minutes. Is this the part that was released as a promo disc for the Old Masters Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Sound quality on the Uher stuff is a bit raw, but nowhere near as bad as it's described in the liner notes.
    Agreed. I'm sure there was some sweetening done in mastering, but the sound on those is actually better than the radio stuff on disc 2.

I highly recommend this set. There are places here and there where it starts to edge into the annoying stuff that the second Flo and Eddie lineup did in 1971, but mostly it's a prime example of a lean Zappa lineup.

istened again a bit more focused to the Lumpy Money set. I had kept my first Zappa Records twofer Lumpy/ Money with the horrible 84 mix ( btw did Zappa himself all these bass and drums re-recordings?) From memory when he rediscovered the master tapes parts of the drum and bass tracks were erased.
    I seem to reclal the comment at the time was the master had been damaged, though I think we've since learned that to be not true. Frank had Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman do the new overdubs. Arthur talks about it a bit in his book.