Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zappa releases

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Mothers 1970 out today. Your grandparents will love Flo and Eddie, its just like Lawrence Welk.
    How infested with F&E is it...?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I listened to the first disc, and it's as little infested as possible there, especially the studio music. Which kills.

PS I don't even know what "infested" means, I am just taking a guess. I believe you wonder if it's full of the gross, vile humour that the duo is accountable for. For the first disc the answer is on the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I listened to the first disc, and it's as little infested as possible there, especially the studio music. Which kills.

PS I don't even know what "infested" means, I am just taking a guess. I believe you wonder if it's full of the gross, vile humour that the duo is accountable for. For the first disc the answer is on the negative.
    Well, infestation usually refers to fleas, lice, mice, rats or other wildlife you don’t want to cohabit with...so yeah.

Thanks for the info, which is encouraging!

Bandcamp Profile

Well, infestation usually refers to fleas, lice, mice, rats or other wildlife you don’t want to cohabit with
    So your question is, is it infested with Turtles?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Well, infestation usually refers to fleas, lice, mice, rats or other wildlife you don’t want to cohabit with...so yeah.

Thanks for the info, which is encouraging!
    It's highly infested then with Ansley Dunbar who could be my favorite rock'n'roll drummer. What a brilliant musician!

Disc 4 is fairly light on F and E as well..despite having The Sanzini Brothers and not one, but TWO Paladin Routines.

Give it a spin....I think you'll dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's highly infested then with Ansley Dunbar who could be my favorite rock'n'roll drummer. What a brilliant musician!
    Good kind of infestation!

Bandcamp Profile

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Brings up track list...
    ctrl-F "Billy"
    0/0

I suppose I could give it a try if the price comes down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Brings up track list...
    ctrl-F "Billy"
    0/0
    As in, Billy The Mountain?

Yes, not a fan. Or of any F+E, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yes, not a fan. Or of any F+E, really.
    You and me both, man. My least favourite period and Billy The Mountain the perfect example of why. I believe we are in the minority though, at least on this board. I will still happily get this box (not out til next Friday here) but I do wish it was a slightly different era. Then again, I've been pretty spoiled in recent years with stuff like Roxy, NY, Halloween, etc. so I can't complain.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If the ZFT is reading, how about putting out The Guitar World According to Frank Zappa on CD.? It'd be nice to get a copy that doesn't have the cassette sound. I know it's all pretty much out there on other releases, but it segues so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You and me both, man. My least favourite period and Billy The Mountain the perfect example of why. I believe we are in the minority though, at least on this board. I will still happily get this box (not out til next Friday here) but I do wish it was a slightly different era. Then again, I've been pretty spoiled in recent years with stuff like Roxy, NY, Halloween, etc. so I can't complain.
    Yeah...I know you're gonna be surprised

I happily await to be pleasantly surprised, believe me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did I read somewhere that this has tracks that are from audience tapes?

You were right!

One or two moments where I was a bit annoyed by you know who, but overall this is a fantastic set. Those Kong solos on disc four! Oh my...

You were right!

One or two moments where I was a bit annoyed by you know who, but overall this is a fantastic set. Those Kong solos on disc four! Oh my...
    Excellent. How great is that first disc of studio goodies?

Excellent. How great is that first disc of studio goodies?
    This good!

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/fran...ppa-universal/

Dude, you are such a gifted reviewer. I don't know how you do it, but you do. I always look forward to reading both your stuff and John Kelman's as well - both extremely insightful, detailed, non-judgmental, informative, and just plain fun. Congrats.

PS - glad you dig the new set! It's a good one alright.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Dude, you are such a gifted reviewer. I don't know how you do it, but you do. I always look forward to reading both your stuff and John Kelman's as well - both extremely insightful, detailed, non-judgmental, informative, and just plain fun. Congrats.
    Wow! Many thanks for your kind words, they are very much appreciated. Kelman is excellent, so to be considered in his company is a huge compliment.

I finally listened to the new Zappa box Mothers 1970. I prefer in general the complete concert sets, Warts and all, a bit like Grateful Dead or lately King Crimson and Gentle Giant concert releases and this 4 CD set is also quite expensive.
    CD1 : Trident studio Juin 1970
    Seen that Zappa´s main concern at this time was 200 Motels the Tridents sessions were kind of a by- product of their London stay. A part of these short sessions was released on Chunga’s Revenge as the man said: “All the vocals in this album (Chunga’s Revenge) were a preview of the story from 200 Motels.” I always preferred the Hot Rats tracks on Chunga.
    So, here is the rest of the rest of the Trident Sessions, three takes of Wonderful Wino co- written with Jeff Simmons, not one of the best Z songs, not chosen for Chunga’s and later released as a filler on Zoot Allures. Then a couple of rehearsal outtakes with fantasy names, Giraffe a try at a Stravinsky style composition that is not interesting compared to Igor’s Boogie and that has never appeared again and the only interesting track a sketch for Envelopes, great composition that would late appear on Ship Arriving.
    CD2, 3, 4 are assorted live recordings. Now at this time Zappa´s was looking for a new direction and the 70 s MOI tour material was basically older material plus the Flo & Eddie routine based on the 200 Motels plot which is kind of funny the first two times you hear it. (Interesting they left out Pennis Dimension on this box) The only challenging composition that remained in the tour list was King Kong which gave place to some great solos especially from George Duke.
    This material was already covered by the Road Tapes Venue 3 release, two shows the 5th of July 70 at the Tyrone Theatre. This is an interesting release, decent sound quality and together with the official Fillmore 71 release IMO the essential recordings about this period.
    On Cd 2 a Dutch TV show recording from June 70, already heavily bootlegged, from memory the Dutch station VPRO was financially l involved in the production of 200 Motels and this is more a polite visit. All the rest is a mix up of different US 70 ´s shows that were all bootlegged, a couple of interesting tacks among them, but already available.
    Strangely the concert that would have been of interest, the Paris December 70 show with Jean Luc Ponty as a guest on a part of the tracks among them great versions of King Kong and Brain Police, and a good version of Pennis Dimension, is missing. This concert was already released by Zappa himself as Disconnected Synapses on the Beat the Boots set and is a good soundboard recording. (maybe a contractual problem).
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Perhaps you missed that the box does include a fine, lengthy "King Kong" jam with Jean-Luc Ponty (albeit uncredited), different from the one already released on Disconnected Synapses.
    I listened to the standard 4 CD Set and there is no King Kong (or other track) with Ponty who did from memory only the december 70 Paris concert as a guest. Is there a deluxe edition with more material ?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I listened to the standard 4 CD Set and there is no King Kong (or other track) with Ponty who did from memory only the december 70 Paris concert as a guest. Is there a deluxe edition with more material ?
    Sorry, I'm going to have to retract that. What I could have sworn was a violin on "Kong Solos Part 1," and even thought I could identify as Ponty because it sure isn't Sugarcane's sound, may be Ian Underwood playing sax through a wah-wah pedal.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Sorry, I'm going to have to retract that. What I could have sworn was a violin on "Kong Solos Part 1," and even thought I could identify as Ponty because it sure isn't Sugarcane's sound, may be Ian Underwood playing sax through a wah-wah pedal.
    As you guessed it's Underwood's treated sax
    . Btw Sugarcane Harris played also on a concert in 70 with the Hot Rats band at the Olympic theatre, (may?) this could have been another interesting concert to include