Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrift store cd grabs

Thrift store cd grabs

About maybe five to ten years ago I used to buy used vinyl and cassettes in thrift stores. These days(on the rare occasion I do go there looking for music) it's usually cds. I didn't look through all of them but the two or three I did peek at seemed to be in very good condition. Slim pickings for prog of course but here's what I picked up at a thrift store near me for two dollars each(comments on these are welcome and encouraged):

Scary Movie music (orchestral stuff with the emphasis on vintage/classic horror but they left out some important ones like the music from the Exorcist and Halloween). It has a green cover.

The Pretenders-learning to crawl (had this eons ago on cassette)

Fleetwood Mac-Tango in the Night

The Cranberries-Everyone else is doing it so why can't we?

Ambrosia-anthology

10,000 Maniacs- In my tribe

My last cd purchase at a thrift store before this(for a dollar I believe)was Tears for Fears-elemental.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-17-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

meimjustalawnmower
    There are several Goodwill stores around here that all have CD's in racks right at the top of the queues. It's mostly all crap, but I've come across the odd winner or two. Problem is that when you do find something good, it's usually scratched to shit or it has the wrong disc in the jewel case. Lately they've been sealing the cases with packing tape, supposedly to prevent theft, and if you ask to see the disc they have to call out the manager to open it for you, because they can't trust the cashier with a box cutter. All this for donated items that cost the consumer $2 each. It's not even worth the $2 to wait for the manager to come out of hiding.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Leo Kottke-Try And Stop Me
    Richard Thompson-Mock Tudor
    Elton John / Leon Russell-The Union
    Peter, Paul & Mary-In Concert
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    About maybe five to ten years ago I used to buy used vinyl and cassettes in thrift stores. These days(on the rare occasion I do go there looking for music) it's usually cds. I didn't look through all of them but the two or three I did peek at seemed to be in very good condition. Slim pickings for prog of course but here's what I picked up at a thrift store near me for two dollars each(comments on these are welcome and encouraged):

Scary Movie music (orchestral stuff with the emphasis on vintage/classic horror but they left out some important ones like the music from the Exorcist and Halloween). It has a green cover.

The Pretenders-learning to crawl (had this eons ago on cassette)

Fleetwood Mac-Tango in the Night

The Cranberries-Everyone else is doing it so why can't we?

Ambrosia-anthology

10,000 Maniacs- In my tribe

My last cd purchase at a thrift store before this(for a dollar I believe)was Tears for Fears-elemental.
    I think that my parents had that? Does it have Charles Bernstein's theme from A Nightmare On Elm Street? Btw, The Exorcist theme might be absent do to the fact that it's an electronic piece, not orchestral. Same with the Halloween movie theme.

Well they aren't all orchestral. I probably shouldn't have said that. THere is synth stuff on here. Vangelis's "blade runner" is even included. Go figure.

No I don't think a nightmare on elm street is on here.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Near where I work there's a thrift store that sells a lot of used books and CDs. I think whatever comes in, gets picked over for anything valuable before it gets shelved, so I rarely find anything really good. A couple months ago I did find a two-on-one CD of the first two Faust LPs for a buck. Not bad at all.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

In the UK there's a chain called Poundland that sells CDs. They're generally rubbish, but I've picked up some decent 'pop' albums: Kula Shaker, Dodgy, Beautiful South, Neil Finn & Crowded House. Most of it seems to be old boy bands or contestants from last year's talent shows.

In the meantime, the UK's only entertainment chain (HMV) has gone into administration (Similar to thingy protection in the US) and may or may not be closed down in the near future...

There's are a few thrift shops near my place of work in NYC. As others have said, most of the time the CDs are one giant pile of garbage, but occasionally you find a gem. A few years ago I found Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica for $2. Last summer I found a solo album from Rich Robinson (Black Crowes guitar player) for $2, which was key because it's out of print and was going for around $20 on Ebay. When I looked at the CD, it looked absolutely horrible, which some crud on it. I took a chance, and took it home and cleaned it. It plays fine.

Just picked up these LP's in a thrift store in Huntington Station, NY for 33 cents each...
    The Singing Nun-Her Joy, Her Songs
    Harry Chapin-Dance Band On The Titanic + Portrait Gallery
    Bobby Vinton-My Elusive Dreams
    Andy Williams-Happy Heart
    Seals and Croft-Summer Breeze
    Coryell/Khan-Two For The Road
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity-Vibrations
    Xavier Cugat and His Orchestra-Cugi's Cocktails
    and a VHS, Night Of The Living Dead(original B + W version)

I picked up Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds"At Goodwill the other day for $2.00. Not bad for a 2 cd/sacd set!
    Classic Nektar lives on @ http://www.thenektarproject.com/

I actually bought from Goodwill- Denver on Amazon Marketplace a copy of an old 80s Level 42 CD which was out of print for about $15. Everyone else was selling this CD for $100+. Go figure.

Library Jon

My county library has a once a year sale. The cds are $1. The selection is naturally slim pickings, but last year I did find a few:

Kings X - "Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous"
    Living Colour - "Times Up"
    Van Halen - "Right Here, Right Now"

I picked up the Decca 6 CD Box of the Fitzwilliam Quartet performing all 15 of Shostakovich's string quartets unopened at a library sale a few weeks ago for $3.

Going to thrift stores is a hobby of my wife and mine. She looks for cheap clothes and craft supplies; I look for CDs and cartoon ties.

Some of my best finds over the years:

Discipline----Unfolded Like Staircase
    Peter Hammill---The Love Songs
    Echolyn---Suffocating the Bloom
    Yo Yo Ma----Plays Bach
    Kings X----s/t
    Camel---Raindances
    David Gilmour---On and Island; About Face
    Jethro Tull---Stand Up
    Joe Jackson---Body and Soul; Night Music
    Rammstein----Mutter
    Steely Day----Royal Scam
    The Mars Volta---Francis The Mute
    Tool---Anemia
    The Stranglers----Black and White
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I picked up several Christmas related items this past year for $1 Al DiMeola, Charlie Brown's Christmas, Charles Brown Blues Christmas. But agree it's usually hit or miss, I have found some gems over the years.... we have half a dozen shops to choose from between the 3 towns we visit regularly for shopping etc.

A shop closed down in this area and it looks like all their left over stock was donated to Lifeline.

From 2 of their shops I picked up, all new:

Scott Keeton and the Deviants - 100 Mile Blues $2.50
    Rory Gallagher - Big Guns The Very Best of Rory Gallagher $3.50
    Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour $2.00
    Pete Murray - See The Sun Special 2 Disc Version - $2.50
    Buzzcocks - Flat Pack Philosophy $2.00
    Roy Rogers - Slidewinder $2.00
    Bridie King - My Blues $2.00
    Various Artists - Knebworth $4.00
    David Bowie - Aladdin Sane 24Bit Remastered $3.50
    Ute Lemperer - Punishing Kiss $2.50

And these real bargains

T-Rex - Total T-Rex 1971-1972 $8.50
    Genesis - Genesis Archives 1967 - 75 $8.50
    Miles Davis - Seven Steps: The COmplete Columbia Recordings $8.50
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

I was at a thrift shop in Salem, New Hampshire, this past weekend, primarily looking for books by a horror writer, Bentley Little, that I like (I found two I don't have) and found in the CD racks Perelandra by Glass Hammer for 50 cents. Most of the CDs there go for a buck or two, so this was quite the deal. Still have to play it yet.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Thrift stores sell CDs? I just learned something new.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Banned
    I thought this thread was about hot chicks people have met at Thrift Stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Thrift stores sell CDs? I just learned something new.
    Most of them are crap, but you'd be amazed what you can occasionally find. It always hurts when I find a jem, only to check it out and it looks like the CD was used for sandpaper or that the CD in the case doesn't match the jewel case.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It always hurts when I find a jem, only to check it out and it looks like the CD was used for sandpaper or that the CD in the case doesn't match the jewel case.
    Or when the CD case is empty...because someone thought it would be a good idea to steal the disc. They're only a dollar and the money goes to help those in need. Asshats have no class at all.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Or when the CD case is empty...because someone thought it would be a good idea to steal the disc. They're only a dollar and the money goes to help those in need. Asshats have no class at all.
    this is why some thrift shops put packing tape to close the jewel cases...which i hate, cause you can't inspect the disc. I agree...steal a $1 (or whatever) CD...from a Thrift Shop???

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    this is why some thrift shops put packing tape to close the jewel cases...which i hate, cause you can't inspect the disc. I agree...steal a $1 (or whatever) CD...from a Thrift Shop???
    Sometimes (and probably most of the time) it's the customers who put the discs back in the wrong cases while shuffling through the bin. I also imagine that some of the jewel cases are already empty when they are donated to the stores. I even see CD-R's mixed in on occasion.

Of course, some people will steal anything. If they were smart, they wouldn't be criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    There are several Goodwill stores around here that all have CD's in racks right at the top of the queues. It's mostly all crap, but I've come across the odd winner or two. Problem is that when you do find something good, it's usually scratched to shit or it has the wrong disc in the jewel case.
    Yeah, what you said. I think the only CD I ever bought from a thrift store was Dancing in the Dragon’s Jaws by Bruce Cockburn. I found a copy of King Crimson’s Discipline once, but as you say, it was so scuffed up it looked “frosted.”

I’ve had far better luck with vinyl. Is everyone sick of my Modern Masquerades story yet?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Good Bye My Love”-Amon Düül II/Almost Alive

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Yeah, what you said. I think the only CD I ever bought from a thrift store was Dancing in the Dragon’s Jaws by Bruce Cockburn. I found a copy of King Crimson’s Discipline once, but as you say, it was so scuffed up it looked “frosted.”

I’ve had far better luck with vinyl. Is everyone sick of my Modern Masquerades story yet?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Good Bye My Love”-Amon Düül II/Almost Alive
    I love If I Had A Rocket Launcher by Bruce!! Btw, I Want to hear your Modern Masquerade story. I've never hear it before.