Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrift store cd grabs

Not really a thrift store, but once, about...shit, must have been 15 years ago already, but I was at Half Priced Books, and I found the original US release of Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways. Hadn't heard the band at that point, but I had read an article on the band in Guitar Player about a year earlier, so they were on my radar. Still the best album they've done as far as I'm concerned.

I once found a copy of Frank Zappa Live At The Fillmore East on vinyl at a library sale for like 3 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Were the Steely Dan and Genesis cds remastered?
    There is no indication that they are remastered, so I guess not.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Roger Waters-In The Flesh
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Stopped at the local Goodwill that opened close by this year. It is an outlet store so no shelves or racks, just bins to root through. I stopped buying albums because lack of storage, I have pretty much all I need and no time to listen to them. For some reason I started looking through a new bin of records and nearly shit myself. There was a collection of records and laser discs from an audiophile who had taken as good care of his collection as I did. Even the couple cut out were in mint shape. Mostly jazz and some fusion like ECM and Windham Hill (records and laser discs). There were a couple symphonys on laser disc and a tour through the Louvre on laser. I bought 68 records and lasers and one three disc set of famous choirs in a 12'X12" box set for the incredible price of $20. Everything is priced by the pound and they weighed 40 pounds. I wish I had gotten there when they first wheeled out the bin. Just seeing what I bought I can't begin to imagine what was there.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Jefferson Airplane- After Bathing at Baxters VG
    Jean Luc Ponty-Enigmatic Ocean .Mint LP Jacket G

$1 each at The Community Thrift Shop on NY Ave in Huntington Village, NY

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    There is no indication that they are remastered, so I guess not.
    If they didn't have liner notes and weren't copyrighted 1993, they weren't remastered.

I once found almost the entire Boots Randolph catalog at Goodwill.

P7020160.jpgP7020161.jpgSaw lots of BOOTS albums today.. Picked up these..

P7020154.jpgP7020153.jpg

Over on Youtube I've been watching some of the vinyl tube episodes, some are pretty fun to watch. I don't know where all these guys are finding these mint shape three for a dollar records: http://youtu.be/zhqJozvA6_c

Last week at the Goodwill I found two Eddie Palmieri's and one Sting for 50 cents a pound. They were all in mint shape. Someone told me that works out to about 9 cents a disc.

Wonder what ever happened to Claudine Longet? I know she served time for the skier Sabich thing. I guess I can't blame her for laying low. I've been watching some more of those vinyl finds off YouTube, and I think they are fun. Some of those guys finds some neat stuff, and bring back some memories. I saw one guy that found the T-Bones album. I remember that from a long time back, but I don't remember much about the group. I guess they had a hit on the radio, as I recall, they were a instrumental band. Funny how some of them say: yes, in most Good Will stores you'll find the typical: Tijuana Brass (which I still get in the mood for from time to time) and Mantovani.

I have more luck finding used cheap CDs myself recently. I found some vinyl not long back and picked up a Star Trek II soundtrack, but although most of the stuff I picked up looked fairly clean, they had bad scratches and wear. Bummer. At any rate, I did score a The Best of Martin Denny CD, Exotica!

I like the story of the guy who papered an entire wall in copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:nothing

Yesterday, I picked up Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning for $2 (double CD). I'm a YMCA member - I go there to work out. They have a couple of tables of used books for sale, and maybe 20 used CDs also. I guess people donate them and the Y makes a few bucks from them. I was very surprised to see a Steven Wilson CD - nothing else there even remotely interested me.

Nothing by The Village People???

Not even remotely prog, but I did pick up a copy of Joan Armatrading’s Show Some Emotion (one of her better albums) at a Goodwill recently.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

That's a great album

Agreed. The Glyn Johns albums (self-titled third, this one, To the Limit) were her gold period.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Picked up John Lennon's Imagine CD the other day. Never owned it. Also a Lyle Lovett double CD, Step Inside This House, and then an Erroll Gardner, Compact Jazz hits Cd.

I tend to come across CDs that I used to have and got rid of for whatever stupid reasons.
    Most recently, and without apology , I reacquired a few of the albums I had from the 90s when funk had a baby with metal. Fungo Mungo, Psychefunkapus, Mordred, Last Crack.

Picked this up today in excellent condition for thirty two cents.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Thrift stores are a great place to find CDs. Of course, there isn't much variety; it's the usual classic rock bands and classical music compilations, but it is a great way to start collecting CDs if one is new to the medium or if you're filling gaps in a current collection.

My daughter was contemplating getting a USB TT to create CD-Rs for her car. I told her used CDs were so cheap now that she may as well buy the CD releases and save herself the trouble. I found her an excellent condition used Beatles' Sgt Peppers CD for $1.99 at Value Village.

^This is true. CDs have little or no resale value.

One I found recently that I like: Phil Keaggy - Songs About What Matters.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    ^This is true. CDs have little or no resale value.

One I found recently that I like: Phil Keaggy - Songs About What Matters.
    I found a couple Phil Keaggy albums in mint condition at the local G00dwill, one was a triple live album.

Our local SPCA thrift store sells CD's for $1 and DVD's $2.. I've found dozens of pristine condition CD's over the years. For albums the selection is marginal at best.. our local record store still keeps their bins well stocked with used albums.. ranging from $1-$5.. usually you find mint condition.. they are picky at what they will put in the rack.

our local record store still keeps their bins well stocked with used albums
    What's a record store?