Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrift store cd grabs

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    it looks like the CD was used for sandpaper
    Just galls me how carelessly some people treat CDs and DVDs. I'll go to the library, see a DVD or CD that I'd like to borrow, then when I get it home, it's unplayable because someone used it as a jelly jar coaster or Junior used it as a teething ring. And it's never the printed side that's marred; it's always the recorded side.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sometimes (and probably most of the time) it's the customers who put the discs back in the wrong cases while shuffling through the bin. I also imagine that some of the jewel cases are already empty when they are donated to the stores. I even see CD-R's mixed in on occasion.
    This is all possible and I have known it to happen. But I talked to the people running the thrift store, and they told me CD theft was the main problem there. They check everything out in the back room before putting it in the store. The CDs were there when they put them out for sale.

some thrift shops put packing tape to close the jewel cases...which i hate, cause you can't inspect the disc.
    Carry a pocket knife, or ask to see them at checkout. I won't buy used CDs sight unseen.

--------------------

The local Goodwill store has only empty jewel cases on the shelf. The CDs are kept in plastic sleeves behind the counter. Once, I found 4 CDs I was interested in. I looked at the discs at the checkout, and decided only two were playable, and paid for those. The cashier took my rejects, jewel cases and all, and threw them in the trash, telling the other cashier that if a customer inspects them and finds them lacking, they aren't worth trying to sell.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I'll go to the library, see a DVD or CD that I'd like to borrow, then when I get it home, it's unplayable because someone used it as a jelly jar coaster or Junior used it as a teething ring. And it's never the printed side that's marred; it's always the recorded side.
    Happens all the time. DVDs are the worst, because the tiniest of scratches make them either entirely unplayable or cause them to get stuck at the most important part of the movie, after you have invested an hour or more in it already.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Actually going to the Friends of the Library in Southern Maryland tomorrow to donate around 50 cds & dvds. 3/4 of which are prog related. I am hoping that there are other prog heads in SOMD that will pick up on these.
    Tried for years shopping them around to used cd stores without much luck. Finally decided why not donate them and take the write off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reztab View Post
    Actually going to the Friends of the Library in Southern Maryland tomorrow to donate around 50 cds & dvds. 3/4 of which are prog related. I am hoping that there are other prog heads in SOMD that will pick up on these.
    Tried for years shopping them around to used cd stores without much luck. Finally decided why not donate them and take the write off.
    is a Library an actual recognized charity?

I check out thrift stores, pawn shops, and estate sales. I bought a CD today by a friend I used to live near, Jeff Talmadge, who is a folk singer called Kind of Everything.

The last time I went to a pawn shop nearby, I bought several for 50 cents a piece:

Ry Cooder--Music By--it's 2 CDs of his soundtrack music
    Johnny Winter--I'm A Bluesman
    Nanci Griffith--folkie, From A Distance The Best Of
    Van Morrison--Down The Road
    Eric Clapton--Live On Tour 2001 One More Car One More Rider
    Steve Forbert--Rocking Horse Head

There's a Fye music store going out of business here, and I saw they had 4 CDs for a buck. I need to run by there and see what they got. I picked up a Krull and some Frankenstein movies already though.

I found a mint condition double cd box set of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds for about $3.00. I found a copy of Tri-Offensive in a used cd & book store for $10. I already had a copy but just couldn't leave it there. This is a Japanese fusion band and the disc sells for 40-45 dollars. Also at Goodwill I found a gold SACD of Bob Mintzer Big Band Homage to Count Basie in a very heavy cd case with rounded edges for $3. Also for three dollars I found Heldon II/Allez Teia on Cuneiform and an unopened copy of a double live David Gilmour show.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    There's a Fye music store going out of business here, and I saw they had 4 CDs for a buck. I need to run by there and see what they got. I picked up a Krull and some Frankenstein movies already though.
    exactly which city is that FYE in that is going out of business? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Btw, I Want to hear your Modern Masquerade story. I've never hear it before.
    I found a pretty decent copy of Modern Masquerades by Fruupp in a Salvation Army store for $1. It’s not much of a story, but there you are. I think I found Photoflamingo by Crack the Sky there on that same trip (it was definitely found at the same store), not that rare an album, but someone had stuffed an ARP Avatar demo flexidisc into the sleeve, so I did get a rather rare bonus!

I also found a copy of the Affinity LP (US Paramount release) at a Goodwill for $2.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:“Play Time”-National Health

There is a store around here called CDepot going out of business. DVDs were 40% off so just before Christmas I stopped in and and picked up 17-18 dvds for about $116. I let the family wrap them up for Christmas.

I find mostly classical cd's at thrift stores. most of the rock or pop cd's are junk that no one wants. i guess we don't have the good thrift stores around here like others have.

rick

CDepot

What happened to CDepot? Aren't there two locations? Both of them? How soon is it closing for good? I might have to make a road trip out there.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    What happened to CDepot? Aren't there two locations? Both of them? How soon is it closing for good? I might have to make a road trip out there.

Library Jon
    There are two locations but I was recently told they are not really involved. The one going out of business is the one on Loch Raven Blvd. Since I probably have around 4-5 thousand cds I may not be a good barometer to tell if there is anything good left. DVDs were 40% off and cds 25% off.

Used to do this a while ago, 80s, but never seem to find anything anymore.
    Best was Beatles Ed Rudy lp for 25 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    is a Library an actual recognized charity?
    Yes, the library is a charity.
    Of course,
    I didn't make it there to donate, next week for sure.

Was at the Goodwill the other day and found Animal Logic. I thought I already had it but for $3 I bought it anyway. In the same store I found a doctor's medical bag for $10. They come in handy for a Halloween costume. I was a doctor a couple of years ago, Dr. "Howie" Feltersnatch, GYN.

Today I was killing time at a thrift store called 2nd Avenue. They mostly have clothes, but there is a small CD section. I came across a CD by a band that just was never on my radar. I heard about this band from Progressive Ears, where many people speak highly of them. I am talking about Horslips. Their first release - Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part. I bought it for $1.40.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Today I was killing time at a thrift store called 2nd Avenue. They mostly have clothes, but there is a small CD section. I came across a CD by a band that just was never on my radar. I heard about this band from Progressive Ears, where many people speak highly of them. I am talking about Horslips. Their first release - Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part. I bought it for $1.40.
    What a great find!

Regards,
    Jon

The rainier thrift store in Buckley, WA had a Bo Hansson (extended Lord of the Rings) and 'The Lamb' the other day. Course I already have both.

I found a Magma CD at a local thrift store. I was never thrilled over Magma but was going to give it a chance until I opened the case to see what condition the CD was in and found no CD in it. hmmmm... I've found many CD's that I was interested in over the years and saw a scratched up CD in the case and passed on them. People really don't take care of their CD's.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I found a Magma CD at a local thrift store. I was never thrilled over Magma but was going to give it a chance until I opened the case to see what condition the CD was in and found no CD in it. hmmmm... I've found many CD's that I was interested in over the years and saw a scratched up CD in the case and passed on them. People really don't take care of their CD's.
    Rick
    Some of the ones I've seen looked like they used them to finish concrete.

Back at 2nd Avenue thrift store today - each CD for $1.40, I found:
    Steely Dan: The Royal Scam - I have this on vinyl but never bought it on CD
    Genesis: We Can't Dance - I have all the Genesis CD's from Duke backwards, but I never wanted this one. For $1.40, at least I get Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights.
    Journey: Escape - this one is for my wife (no, really!)

The very last time I went to the thrift store near me I didn't see anything. The time before that I picked up a compilation classical cd(classical for exercise or something like that)and REM's "monster" which I had a long time ago on cassette.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 06-23-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Back at 2nd Avenue thrift store today - each CD for $1.40, I found:
    Steely Dan: The Royal Scam - I have this on vinyl but never bought it on CD
    Genesis: We Can't Dance - I have all the Genesis CD's from Duke backwards, but I never wanted this one. For $1.40, at least I get Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights.
    Journey: Escape - this one is for my wife (no, really!)
    Were the Steely Dan and Genesis cds remastered?

My kids love visiting 3 GoodWills in our area. They sell CDs for 2.52 each. Here's what I picked up yesterday:
    Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    Windham Hill - A Winter's Solstice VI
    Tim Janis - Coastal America
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Prince Caspian Soundtrack
    Justin Hayward/John Lodge - Blue Jays
    Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group
    Armageddon Soundtrack
    William Ackerman - Conferring With The Moon