Thread: Chick Corea's 75th B'day 2 Month Blue Note NYC Residency

Chick Corea's 75th B'day 2 Month Blue Note NYC Residency

Yeah I'm gonna spend all my Christmas money on myself 6 months in advance...$55 per bar spot, $85 for a table seat. RTF electric sets (2 per night) w/McLaughlin, Wooten & White are gonna sell out lightning fast. Going to Blue Note after work to (hopefully) get seats for a couple of sets. Leprechaun Band shows too will go fast.

Wednesday - Sunday, October 19-23
    THE CHICK COREA ELEKTRIC BAND
    Chick Corea (keyboards), Eric Marienthal (saxes), Frank Gamble (guitar), John Patitucci (bass), Dave Weckl (drums)

Wednesday - Sunday, October 26-30
    FOR MILES
    Chick Corea (keyboards), Kenny Garrett (saxes), Wallace Roney (trumpet), Mike Stern (guitar), Marcus Miller (bass), Brian Blade (drums)

Wednesday - Thursday, November 2-3
    THREE QUARTETS BAND
    Chick Corea (piano), Steve Gadd (drums), Eddie Gomez (bass), Ben Solomon (sax)

Friday - Sunday, November 4-6
    THE LEPRECHAUN BAND
    Chick Corea (keyboards), Steve Gadd (drums) Gayle Moran Corea (vocals), Steve Wilson (sax & flute), Eddie Gomez (bass)

Wednesday - Thursday, November 9-10
    EXPERIMENTS IN ELECTRONICA
    Chick Corea (keyboards + computers), Marcus Gilmore (drums), Leading Genre-Defying Electronic Explorers (TBA)

Friday - Sunday, November 11 - 13
    CHICK'S FLAMENCO HEART
    Chick Corea (keyboards), Jorge Pardo (sax & flute), Niño Josele (acoustic guitar), Carles Benavent (bass), Tom Brechtlein (drums), Nino de los Reyes (dancer)

Wednesday - Thursday, November 16-17
    THE CHICK COREA BIG BAND
    Chick Corea (keyboards), Erlend Skomsvoll (arranger & conductor), The Trondheim Jazz Orchestra - 13-Piece Big Band (8 horns, guitar, bass & drums)

Friday - Sunday, November 18-20
    CHICK COREA PIANO DUETS
    Chick Corea (piano), Collaborators TBA

Tuesday - Wednesday, November 22 & 23
    CHICK COREA & GARY BURTON
    with the Harlem String Quartet
    Chick Corea (piano), Gary Burton (vibes), Ilmar Gavilán (violin), Melissa White (violin), Jaime Amador (viola), Felix Umansky (cello)

Friday - Sunday, November 25-27
    ORIGIN II
    Chick Corea (piano), Ravi Coltrane (sax), Steve Wilson (sax & flute), Steve Davis (trombone), Carlitos Del Puerto (bass), Marcus Gilmore (drums)

Wed. - Sun., November 30 - December 4
    THE MUSIC OF RETURN TO FOREVER AND MORE (ACOUSTIC)
    Chick Corea (keyboards), Ravi Coltrane (sax), Hubert Laws (flute), Avishai Cohen (bass), Lenny White (drums)

Wednesday, December 7
    PERFORMANCE TBA

Thursday - Sunday, December 8-11
    THE MUSIC OF RETURN TO FOREVER AND MORE (ELECTRIC)
    Chick Corea (keyboards), John McLaughlin (guitar), Victor Wooten (bass), Lenny White (drums)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Just got an email about this event last night.

Sure would love to catch some of these..especially:

Thursday - Sunday, December 8-11
    THE MUSIC OF RETURN TO FOREVER AND MORE (ELECTRIC)
    Chick Corea (keyboards), John McLaughlin (guitar), Victor Wooten (bass), Lenny White (drums

Now that is just fu**ing awesome.................wish I could see all of that.

Thanks I just picked up 2 Amex prefered seats for the electric return to forever on Sat 12/10

Def want to check it out---great idea!

Some potentially cool stuff (I'm curious if Stanley Clarke had other plans those weeks).

He'll also be touring with the Elektrik Band around that time; I have tickets for Boston.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Considering the electric RTF w/ JM..but 85 bucks? And since there are two sets per night, I'd expect a somewhat short set...but still considering..

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Considering the electric RTF w/ JM..but 85 bucks? And since there are two sets per night, I'd expect a somewhat short set...but still considering..

Brett, where's the Boston EB show?

I've got tix for both shows with John McLaughlin (guitar), Victor Wooten (bass), Lenny White (drums)

He should be all warmed up by then!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Expect a 70 minute set.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Expect a 70 minute set.
    Often times, jazz shows are priced per set. I hope it's not the case here

What, no Circle? Or A.R.C?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Often times, jazz shows are priced per set. I hope it's not the case here
    I'm pretty sure that IS the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    What, no Circle? Or A.R.C?
    I heard a story once that Corea approached Holland and Altschul for a reunion, and that Altschul was willing, but Holland wouldn't do it because he was not happy about Chick's music after Circle.

Does anybody know if some of these shows are going to be filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    He'll also be touring with the Elektrik Band around that time; I have tickets for Boston.
    Around this time last year Dave Weckl played in Athens with his acoustic band (w/Makoto Ozone on keyboards). After the show I asked him if the rumors about an Elektric Band reunion and tour were true. His emphatical answer was "not that I am aware of". Well, I cannot believe that the upcoming concerts had not been pre-planned fifteen months earlier, given also that Chick's 75th birthday would be a perfect occasion, but I guess it was too early for Weckl to reveal anything. I am still in awe of Chick's ability to change so many hats in such a short time!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Brett, where's the Boston EB show?
    At the Wilbur...Third CC show there in like a year and a half. He was there last year solo (I saw that, was excellent), and a couple months ago with Bela Fleck.

makes me wish I still lived in Manhattan
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm in for the Dec. 8 & 9 early sets; RTF electric. Table seat for the first one and bar view for the second. ($94.50 & $56- per including fees.) I know they'll be shortish sets but, this should be special. Might get for another one or two sooner than later.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973