Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Album by Any Other Name

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    The other way around I believe. Fripp's mix was first.
    And it was silly to bother with the remix, IMO. If there are audio differences, they're not major. They should have just maybe added Jean the Birdman to the original and reissued it without the fancy package.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    In somewhat similar vein, Robert Fripp and David Sylvian collaborated on a live rendition of the their First Day release. Sylvian's release of Damage came out with a mix done by Sylvian. Years later, Fripp remixed the tapes and released his version of Damage with a slightly different setlist.

I thought the same thing when I read that. Sylvian did "his thing" in 2001, 7 years after the original release of Damage.
    Right you both are! Sorry for the misinformation.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And it was silly to bother with the remix, IMO. If there are audio differences, they're not major. They should have just maybe added Jean the Birdman to the original and reissued it without the fancy package.
    And keep Darshan.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Right you both are! Sorry for the misinformation.
    It happens.
    I just happened to remember correctly this time.

There’s also the Utopia album, a Lothar Meid/Olaf Kübler project, which was reissued as an Amon Düül II album, despite not really being one.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I know this wasn't the purpose of this being shared, but how's the album?
    I find it excellent. It’s instrumental (with some wordless vocals from Sally Oldfield) music in Pohjola’s unique jazz/classical fusion style. If you like it, check out his other work, you’re very likely to enjoy his other output, too. I think Mathematician’s Air Display (credited simply to Pekka) is the current edition, but the version I have carries the original Finnish title, Keesojen lehto. I understand giving credit to the Oldfields to boost Pohjola’s name, but actually releasing this as a Mike Oldfield album is more than a little disingenuous, as he didn’t play on the whole thing, nor did he compose any of it (all the compositions are Pohjola’s, it really is his album). The tracks that don’t feature the Oldfields are backed by members of Made in Sweden (basically: the whole band minus their singer Tommy Körberg), which Pohjola was a member of at the time.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I find [Mathematician’s Air Display] excellent. It’s instrumental (with some wordless vocals from Sally Oldfield) music in Pohjola’s unique jazz/classical fusion style. If you like it, check out his other work, you’re very likely to enjoy his other output, too. I think Mathematician’s Air Display (credited simply to Pekka) is the current edition, but the version I have carries the original Finnish title, Keesojen lehto. I understand giving credit to the Oldfields to boost Pohjola’s name, but actually releasing this as a Mike Oldfield album is more than a little disingenuous, as he didn’t play on the whole thing, nor did he compose any of it (all the compositions are Pohjola’s, it really is his album). The tracks that don’t feature the Oldfields are backed by members of Made in Sweden (basically: the whole band minus their singer Tommy Körberg), which Pohjola was a member of at the time.
    Great, thanks. I'll have to check it out.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

There’s also the Utopia album, a Lothar Meid/Olaf Kübler project, which was reissued as an Amon Düül II album, despite not really being one.

I find it excellent. It’s instrumental (with some wordless vocals from Sally Oldfield) music in Pohjola’s unique jazz/classical fusion style. If you like it, check out his other work, you’re very likely to enjoy his other output, too. I think Mathematician’s Air Display (credited simply to Pekka) is the current edition, but the version I have carries the original Finnish title, Keesojen lehto. I understand giving credit to the Oldfields to boost Pohjola’s name, but actually releasing this as a Mike Oldfield album is more than a little disingenuous, as he didn’t play on the whole thing, nor did he compose any of it (all the compositions are Pohjola’s, it really is his album). The tracks that don’t feature the Oldfields are backed by members of Made in Sweden (basically: the whole band minus their singer Tommy Körberg), which Pohjola was a member of at the time.
    I like it as well and I think the tracks that don't feature the Oldfields sound a lot like Made In Sweden with the same musicians. I have the album on vinyl in the edition with Mike Oldfield big. I knew it was a Pekka Pohjola album, because before I bought the album rather cheap, I think it was in the cut-out bin, someone made a tape of it for me. The CD I have, has the Finnish title. In my book Pekka Pohjola never did anything wrong. But hey, if there is one musician I admire, it's Pekka Pohjola.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not a catalog highlight for either artist. A couple tracks feature Sally Oldfield's vocals, a couple feature Georg Wadenius on guitar, others Pierre Moerlen on percussion. The album's a little incohesive.
    I must respectfully disagree. To my ears, this is one of Pekka's top 5 albums.

I find it excellent. It’s instrumental (with some wordless vocals from Sally Oldfield) music in Pohjola’s unique jazz/classical fusion style. If you like it, check out his other work, you’re very likely to enjoy his other output, too. I think Mathematician’s Air Display (credited simply to Pekka) is the current edition, but the version I have carries the original Finnish title, Keesojen lehto
    yes, Keesojen Lehto is the name of the original album I have. A truly great album of music by the esteemed Mr. Pohjola
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Not what the OP was asking for. Lots of artists have renamed their albums.
    It's not the Album's Name that changed tough, both are called Opus.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yes, Keesojen Lehto is the name of the original album I have.
    This particular album has been released as:
    • Keesojen lehto in Finland, listed as by Pekka Pohjola
    • Skuggornas tjuvstart in Sweden, by Pekka Pohjola
    • The Consequences of Indecisions in the Netherlands, by Mike Oldfield
    • The Mathematician's Air Display in England and the USA, by "Pekka"
    • Untitled in the USA and Italy, by Mike & Sally Oldfield & Pekka Pohjola
    • US-101 in the USA and Italy on vinyl, by Mike Oldfield, Sally Oldfield & Pekka Pohjola
    The song titles in the first two are in Finn and Swedish respectively, and the English translations of the titles are different in the rest. A guy trying to avoid buying duplicate albums seems to be intentionally confused by the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Track Listings

Keesjen lehto (Finland)
    1. Oivallettu matkalyhty (5:04)
    2. Kädet suoristavat veden (4:34)
    3. Matemaatikon lentonäytös (7:25)
    4a. Pääntaivuttelun seuraukset: Osa 1 - Sulamaan jätetty kipu (4:30)
    4b. Pääntaivuttelun seuraukset: Osa 2 - Nykivä keskustelu tuntemattoman kanssa (11:21)
    5. Varjojen varaslähtö (1:53)
    Skuggornas tjuvstart (Sweden)
    1. Ljus Och Lykta
    2. Vatten Står Sig Slätt I Handen
    3. Ramanujans Ryggspinn
    4a. Huvudrunkarsviten: Del 1. Innan Värken Börjar Rinna
    4b. Huvudrunkarsviten: Del 2. Samtal Med X I N Spasmer
    5. Fantomrusning
    The Mathematician's Air Display (USA and Italy)
    1. The Perceived Journey-Lantern
    2. Hands Straighten the Water
    3. The Mathematician's Air Display
    4a. The Consequences of Head Bending: Part One - The Pain Left Melting
    4b. The Consequences of Head Bending: Part Two - The Plot Thickens
    5. False Start of the Shadows
    The Consequences of Indecisions (The Netherlands), Mike & Sally Oldfield, Pekka Pohjola (USA & Italy), US-101 (USA & Italy)
    1. The Sighted Light
    2. Hands Calming The Water
    3. Mathematical Air Display
    4a. The Consequences of Indecisions: Part One - Time Heals All Wounds
    4b. The Consequences of Indecisions: Part Two - Comfort With A Stranger
    5. False Start
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Traveller
    A truly great album of music by the esteemed Mr. Pohjola. To my ears, this is one of Pekka's top 5 albums.
    You of course have the right to be wrong.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-11-2016 at 01:43 PM.

At Stockholm - Psychic TV & White Stains - 1990
    At Stockholm - Genesis P-Orridge & White Stains - 1995
    At Stockholm - Thee Majesty & White Stains - 2004

These are typical of Genesis' mercenary marketing techniques. He would claim that the albums are fetish items and as such are unique despite having the same recording on each album. He has done this with much of the Psychic TV discography - initially as a way of erasing ex-wife and band member Paula P-Orridge's name from the recordings, which I find despicable. A relentless self-publicist he continues to release archive Psychic TV recordings under his own name and under the name Thee Majesty with little or no credit given to the contributing musicians.

This particular album has been released as:
    • Keesojen lehto in Finland, listed as by Pekka Pohjola
    • Skuggornas tjuvstart in Sweden, by Pekka Pohjola
    • The Consequences of Indecisions in the Netherlands, by Mike Oldfield
    • The Mathematician's Air Display in England and the USA, by "Pekka"
    • Untitled in the USA and Italy, by Mike & Sally Oldfield & Pekka Pohjola
    • US-101 in the USA and Italy on vinyl, by Mike Oldfield, Sally Oldfield & Pekka Pohjola
    The song titles in the first two are in Finn and Swedish respectively, and the English translations of the titles are different in the rest. A guy trying to avoid buying duplicate albums seems to be intentionally confused by the process.
    The version I have is just untitled, like the USA and Italy one, it is released by Happy Bird and distributed in the Benelux (Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg)
    https://www.discogs.com/Mike-Oldfiel...release/838308

Let It Be was originally released as We're Putting Up With Paul.

Good call, and this is a double weird example. "Wild Connections" is a 1979 duet album by Lancaster and Rick Van Der Linden. Drums are by Barry Morgan.

"Skinningrove Bay" (1980) has been released under three different titles, one other being "Wild Connections".... With the names of Phil Collins, Gary Moore and Rod Argent on the cover. No mention of Jack Lancaster! It's also been released as "Deep Green" under everybody's names.

The weird part is, the song "Wild Connections" doesn't even APPEAR on Skinningrove Bay.

and that's a completely different album called Wild Connections with Rick Van der Linden
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?