Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Into forgotten movies from the 80's?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Copycat

Ahem… save that for:

Into forgotten movies from the 90's?

Copycat - 1995
    American psychological thriller, starring Sigourney Weaver, Holly Hunter and Dermot Mulroney. The film was directed by Jon Amiel, with a score composed by Christopher Young.

After Hours (1985) - An ordinary word processor has the worst night of his life after he agrees to visit a girl in Soho (Rosanna Arquette) whom he met that evening at a coffee shop. Will he ever get home? One frustrating and surreal situation after another.

Directed by Martin Scorsese.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

All of Me (1984) - A dying millionnaire (Lilly Tomlin) has her soul transferred into a younger, willing woman. But something goes wrong, and she finds herself in her lawyer's body - together with the lawyer (Steve Martin).

Directed by Carl Reiner.

Tomlin and Martin are great in this!

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

When I think of 80s movies, I think The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension....

... then there's Brainstorm .....

Saw this howler as a first-run in 1980 and haven't seen it - broadcast, mention, etc - since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_(1980_film)
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Battle Beyond The Stars - 1980
    Science fiction film directed by Jimmy T. Murakami and produced by Roger Corman. The film, intended as a "Magnificent Seven in outer space", is based on The Magnificent Seven (in which Robert Vaughn also appeared), the Western remake of Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samurai.The screenplay was written by John Sayles, the score was composed by James Horner, and the special effects were directed by James Cameron.

Deathtrap - 1982
    American thriller film based on Ira Levin's play of the same name, directed by Sidney Lumet from a screenplay by Levin and Jay Presson Allen, starring Michael Caine, Dyan Cannon and Christopher Reeve. Critics gave the film mostly favorable reviews while noting its plot similarities to Caine's 1972 film Sleuth.

Heaven Help Us - 1985
    Students (Andrew McCarthy, Kevin Dillon) reject authority in 1965 Brooklyn at St. Basil's Catholic School for Boys.

Losin' It - 1983
    Comedy film directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Tom Cruise, Shelley Long, Jackie Earle Haley, and John Stockwell. The plot concerns four teenagers trying to lose their virginity. Losin' It was filmed largely in Calexico, California.

Outland - 1981
    British science fiction thriller film written and directed by Peter Hyams. The film stars Sean Connery, Peter Boyle, and Frances Sternhagen.

Set on Jupiter's moon Io, it has been described as a space Western, and bears thematic resemblances to the 1952 film High Noon

The Man From Snowy River - 1982
    Australian drama film based on the Banjo Paterson poem The Man from Snowy River. The film had a cast including Kirk Douglas in a dual role as the brothers Harrison (a character who appeared frequently in Paterson's poems) and Spur, a prospector, Jack Thompson as Clancy, Tom Burlinson as "Jim Craig" (The Man), Sigrid Thornton as Harrison's daughter Jessica, Terence Donovan as Jim's father Henry Craig, and Chris Haywood as Curly.
    Heaven Help Us is pretty hilarious!

Definitely not a forgotten, but tops in the genre for the decade.... (IMO of course) - Whatever happened to Jenny Wright outside of Near Dark and her cameo in The Wall?

And then there's...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Ahem… save that for:

Into forgotten movies from the 90's?

Copycat - 1995
    American psychological thriller, starring Sigourney Weaver, Holly Hunter and Dermot Mulroney. The film was directed by Jon Amiel, with a score composed by Christopher Young.

I saw that, but damn was it forgettable!

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Whatever happened to Jenny Wright outside of Near Dark and her cameo in The Wall?
    I don't know, but unfortunately it didn't involve sucking my finger.

Anyone remember Fade to Black from 1980 with Dennis Christopher?

A few off the top of my head...

Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "I figure the Navy owes me 40 years back pay!"

Oops, I think I just gave away the ending.

Yeah, I remember watching that movie a bunch of times back in the 80's, when it was on HBO all the time. There was a sequel done in the 90's (where a 1990's bomber is accidentally sent back to Nazi Germany, changing the course of the war), but it wasn't very good.

I always loved how the two sailors initially assume the Axis Powers have somehow won the war because they find a Lowenbrau beer bottle, and when they finally find a diner in the middle of nowhere, there's a Godzilla movie playing on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post

... then there's Brainstorm .....
    You mean the Natalie Wood/Christopher Walken picture? Just saw that a year or two ago on TCM. Better than I remembered it being. I recall reading of how MGM tried to bury the picture after Natalie Wood died, because of the mounting costs of the production, and also becuase MGM was having money troubles of their own at the time. I recall reading about the movie in Starlog like a year before it finally came out.

...raises hand...

I think the only thing I have seen listed that qualifies as a possibly forgotten gem would be "All Of Me". The rest enjoy hardcore, widespread cult status, or just regular status.

Can we just talk about great 80s movies without qualifiers or distinctions? Let's not prog the hell out of the premise and just enjoy it.

Also, "Mac and Me" is straight-up garbage. Which is why Paul Rudd has been using the same scene from it for...20 years?...in place of clips from whatever actual movie he's currently plugging when he appears on Conan.

OK, a few of mine:

Rock And Rule: awesome animated movie from circa 1982 which MGM buried upon release. It was made by a Canadian animation studio called Nelvana, and apparently they spent so long working on the movie that there was a regime change at MGM (this being shortly after the infamous Heaven's Gate debacle) and Leo The Lion's new keepers were less excited about the project than their predecessors. The film tells the tale of a distant future, many years after a nuclear war, where mutants evolved from cats, dogs and rats have gained human intelligence. A mysterious rock musician named Mok has devised a plan for a "concert that no one will forget", whereby he plans to unleash a beast from another dimension. All he needs is one perfect voice. Film features songs by Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry, Earth Wind And Fire, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed. Lots of awesome special effects and great quotable dialog ("Word to the wise, guy: be nice, or be dog food!"). Reputedly the film's negative was destroyed in a warehouse fire, but a DVD eventually came out about a decade with both the US and Canadian versions of the film (the Canadian version has a different actor doing Omar's speaking voice, and there's some different dialog here and there...in the Canadian version Omar calls someone "dick nose", in the US version, he merely calls him "dog breath"). The DVD also includes the Nelvana produced TV special The Devil And Daniel Mouse (which I remember seeing on TV about a million years ago) and making of featurettes for both pictures (the Rock & Rule one I remember being shown on Nickelodeon's old Lights! Camera! Action! show).

Heavy Metal: My other favorite animated picture from the 80's, done at roughly the same time as Rock & Rule. This might not be as "forgotten" by some as others, but a great set of stories, linked together by the Loc-Nar, "the sun (or is it sum?) of all evil". More great quotable dialog ("How'm I supposed to fix this guy?! He's fucked!!!!"), more great songs (from Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, Donald Fagen, Devo, Don Felder, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, and a bunch of others), and more cool special effects. The DVD includes a workprint with lots of alternate bits and dialog, and the Neverwhere sequence that wsa cut from the original movie. I saw this movie on HBO when I was about 10, and I'd never seen animation like that before!

Roadie: Meat Loaf stars as a truck driver who can fix anything who gets hired by Don Cornelius to fix just about everything that goes wrong with the concerts he puts on. A groupie ends up talking Meat Loaf into giving her a ride to NYC so she can meet Alice Cooper. Once again there's a new Cheap Trick song, there's also music from Coop, Blondie, and a few others one. One of the best scenes involves Roy Orbison demonstrating how to deal with a bar brawl in Texas. "Why is my life so much harder than everyone else's?!"

Up The Creek: Dammit, what's with these movies with Cheap Trick songs in them?! This time three buffoons at a college are blackmailed by their dean (played hilarious by John Hillerman), into participating in a white water raft race. Kind of a studio movie, but Jennifer Runyon was hot, and there's again great qoutable dialog. "You're not at the bottom of the list, you are the bottom of the list!!!!!!" Rick Nielsen swears Up The Creek is the worst song he ever wrote, but I happen to like it.

Piranha II: The Spawning: Best movie ever directed by Jim Cameron (well, except maybe the Terminators). OK, so Cameron got fired after only two weeks, but how can you not love a movie that starts with scuba divers having sex on a shipwreck?! OK, so some of the special effects are hokey, but it's still a good picture. Oh and did I mention the two Penthouse Pets who end up getting chomped by the flying fish?!

Galaxy Of Terror: If you ever wondered what Erin Moran did after Happy Days, here it is. She's actually kinda hot in this picture. And there's also a scene where a woman is raped to death by a giant maggot. And apparently, this was the movie James Cameron was working on in the special effects department that got him the short-lived job on Piranha II.

Three O'Clock High
    : A geek inadvertently pisses off a thug at his high school, and the entire movie is basically the geek trying to get out of getting his ass severely kicked after school. Great picture, Tangerine Dream did most of the music, and there's some fantastic cinematography. "That's why they call it Continuation: so you can graduate while continuing to murder people".

Breaking In
    : Burt Reynolds and Casey Siemasko (who played the geek in Three O'Clock High) play a couple small time burglars who hook up together. Some crazy stuff in this picture.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins: a movie based on the Destroyer series of novels (that's why it's subtitled "The Adventure Begins" because there was supposed to be sequels, but the movie did so badly at the box office the sequels never happened). Fred Ward plays a cop whose death is faked so that he can be recruited (pretty much against his will) into a secret organization aimed at dispensing justice where the courts can't do it. Joel Grey plays a Korean mystic is supposed to be teaching Remo a fictitious martial art, but has to take a break every afternoon to watch "Your country's only contribution to the arts" (supposedly, several actors who auditioned for the role claimed to be experts in said martial art, not realizing it didn't exist). Lots of great dialog, preposterous "martial arts moves" (Remo is taught how to dodge bullets in such a fashion that he's able to disarm the person shooting at him) and Kate Mulgrew is in it too. Tommy Shaw had a song in the film, and in fact the video for the song was shot on the mockup of the Statue Of Liberty that was built in Mexico City, just weeks before the big earthquake that happened down there. Supposedly the guy who wrote the Destroyer novels was upset about the results, but I think it's a fun picture. Speaking of Fred Ward...

Secret Admirer: this movie literally has a plot too complicated to explain, but it basically works like this: a girl writes a love letter to a friend (take it easy, the friend is a guy), and signs it "Your secret admirer". This letter (and a second one) get passed around by various characters in improbable fashion (one of them is a Dirty Harry wannabe vice cop hilariously played by Fred Ward) which causes total mayhem. The girl is played by a pre-Full House Lori Laughlin, the boy she has a crush on is played by C. Thomas Howell. Casey Siemasko is in this picture too, but that's largely besides the point. Trust me, you'll die laughing watching this picture. Oh, and Jan Hammer did the music too. No Cheap Trick songs, though.

I remember it, but I don't think I ever actually saw it.

^
    I waded into the murky waters of, um, internet sharing, specifically for "Up The Creek", "Hamburger: The Motion Picture", "Hot Dog - The Movie" and a few other choice party-fests of the time.

Anyone else remember "Midnight Madness"?

Scavenger hunt movie with David Naughton, Stephen Furst, perennial movie geek Eddie Deezen, and what I think was Michael J Fox's debut. Good stuff.
    Last edited by frinspar; 06-08-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    ^
    I waded into the murky waters of, um, internet sharing, specifically for "Up The Creek", "Hamburger: The Motion Picture", "Hot Dog - The Movie" and a few other choice party-fests of the time.

Anyone else remember "Midnight Madness"?

Scavenger hunt movie with David Naughton, Stephen Furst, perennial movie geek Eddie Deezen, and what I think was Michael J Fox's debut. Good stuff.
    I was gonna mention Scavenger Hunt, but as I recall, that was more like 79, so I guess that would belong in the other thread.

Banned

Banned

Another shout for 52 Pick Up, one of Cannon's few gems. For all their bluster, even when they actually had a decent, critically acclaimed movie they seemed to bury them or give them very limited releases. Yet the Chuck Norris/Bronson/Last American Virgin type crap played everywhere.

I loved the villains in this movie, and the way Scheider's character turns them against each other. Great score too.

Talking of Cannon and 80's movies, would also throw Runaway Train into the mix. Harsh, brutal stuff for the time. I know Jon Voight's performance is not to everyone's taste, and Eric Roberts accent was annoying. But just the sight of that tangled wreckage of a train scything through the deep snow...worth watching just for the imagery.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Rodney put out a few funny movies in the 80s, with this one being my favorite:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Banned

The story of Nikos Belogiannis member of the communist party and officer of Ellas that has come back to Greece only to get arrested, tried for espionage on behalf of Russia and executed. A photograph of his bearing a carnation has circulated internationally and gives the name of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Didn't see this one (always disliked Wood as an actor), but I can't remember the name of the "Nicaragua movie" with Nolte , Hackman and Trintignant
    And Joanna Cassidy. It's Under Fire (1983) - still watchable today, as is Salvador. Together with the surprisingly memorable Last Plane Out (also 1983 and starring Jan Michael Vincent - now THERE's an 80s bygone star for you!), this was often regarded as the 'Trinity of Somoza-vs.-sandinistas movies'. Ken Loach made a fine one over a decade later, though - Carla's Song.

A Slice of mid-80s erotic teen noir recently rewatched by Yours truly is the following, with tunes by John Paul Jones and everything:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM