Thread: Junipher Greene, live

Junipher Greene, live

Just wanted to share this incredible find on YouTube .

And even stranger...

They give annual workouts on the 2LP material here, usually at Rockefeller Music Hall. I've never attended, although I came close this year. Apparently it's quite good. Junipher Greene is only one of several oldies taken to heart anew by somewhat younger rock enthusiasts in Norway; check Rypdal, Undertaker's Circus, Øystein Sunde, Vanessa, Finnerud Trio, Moose Loose, Folque, Rain etc. Apparently there was even a Hole in the Wall-reunion a few years back; rather unlikely, seeing how they sold barely 6-700 copies of their mythical 1972 album to begin with and only gave a couple of handful concerts back then.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks for posting!

Can anyone comment on the 3 albums released after Friendship? I've seen them for sale, but never knew if I should bite or not.

^

Communication is an ill-adviced attempt at making a somewhat more advanced music, mixing folky sensibilities, hard rock, bizarre post-psych antics and even the odd jazz flavour. It generally doesn't work, and it isn't helped by some of the dodgiest vocals you'll ever hear donning some of the most ridiculous English pronounciations imaginable. I own a completely soiled copy of this one but hardly ever listen to it, but when I *DO* I tend to find myself thinking "Oh, no". The title track is a 12 1/2 minute effort to create an "epic" so senselessly fragmentary that it hardly even works on the level of a medley, although there's some fine guitar playing to be heard and a couple of interesting ensemble ideas. "Talk Is a Bird" could have been a good tune, but is altogether ruined by bad dispositions.

Forbudte Formiddagstoner is a rather unsuccessful stab at new wave. There was a phenomenon in Norway at the time called "nyrock" ('New rock'), a style which essentially bridged post/art-punk, lite avant garde or industrial tendencies and even distant elements of folk music, but although JG obviously tried to find their place in that environment they came out utterly alien. Other, much greater examples of this style were Elektrisk Regn, Cirkus Modern, The Aller Værste, Blaupunkt, the Cut and Alle Tiders Duster.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks, Richard. Given the asking price for Communication , I think the judicious choice will be to pass. Too bad. I've had the Friendship reissue CD since it came out around 1990, and think it's quite good. The fact that I never saw reissues of the other ones had me doubtful of any similarity to Friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Thanks for posting!

Can anyone comment on the 3 albums released after Friendship? I've seen them for sale, but never knew if I should bite or not.
    It's here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irPekPIMufM

Strange and odd divide. I'm glad I kept that dodgy vinyl, though. I quite dig the way in which Øyvind Vilbo's voice keeps screeching, cracking and twirling. Goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Strange and odd divide. I'm glad I kept that dodgy vinyl, though. I quite dig the way in which Øyvind Vilbo's voice keeps screeching, cracking and twirling. Goofy.
    Reminds me of a southern rock band striving to sound progressive. Has a hidden charm and a great guitar solo floating and cross-fading from one speaker into the other but that's all I remember about it. Need to revisit.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS