Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaco Pastorius - Documentary 2015

Banned

Jaco Pastorius - Documentary 2015

On Netflix streaming. The Who's Who of Jazz Fusion/Jazz are in this. You gotta see it, hear it.

Banned
    Jaco (2015)
    'JACO' tells the story of Jaco Pastorius, a self-taught, larger-than-life musician who changed the course of modern music. Never-before-seen archive u…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2385115/

Banned
    And here's Joni before she lost it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    On Netflix streaming. The Who's Who of Jazz Fusion/Jazz are in this. You gotta see it, hear it.
    The first few times I watched this it was difficult to hold back the tears. Complex life. I think the musicians that knew him best said to be thankful for the brief time he was around. It has been nearly 30 years since his exit but I am still sad he's not around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The first few times I watched this it was difficult to hold back the tears. Complex life. I think the musicians that knew him best said to be thankful for the brief time he was around. It has been nearly 30 years since his exit but I am still sad he's not around anymore.
    X2. Heartbreaking story. Brilliant player
    Whose light burned out so quickly and tragically.

Banned
    Thanks for the heads up Firth - I'll check it out. I fully agree with the sentiments expressed. A brilliant and intuitive musician.

You can read my review of it, from when it was released last year, here, along with two other timely reminders of just how much we lost when Jaco passed at such a young age.

What was great was that, from the opening interview with Jerry Jemmott, where the Aretha Franklin (amongst others) bassist says, essentially, "you've changed the face of the electric bass, you've become a composer of significance....how do you feel about all that?"

Jaco, this is 1983, is not looking either healthy or happy, but Pastorius looks steeped in thought for a very brief moment before cracking a smile and saying "Gimme a gig, you know?"

The brilliance of this compared to the recent Miles bioflic is that this documentary didn't shy away from the truth; instead, JACO is about both celebration and tragedy...as it should be. It also has some of the most revealing studio footage I've ever seen, when Jaco is recording "Crisis," from Word of Mouth.

For those interested in more about Jaco, here are some reviews of books, releases, etc:

1. Jaco Pastorius Live and Outrageous concert DVD;
    2. Portrait of Jaco - The Early Years 2cd set;
    3. Jaco Pastorius - 60th Anniversary Collection. Japanese only release of all his Warner Bros. albums, including Word of Mouth, Twins I and Twins II (two live albums, from which the American single disc, Invitation, also in the set, was culled), The Birthday Concert (from his 30th birthday celebration) and a cd of previously unreleased Jaco solos (really, really good);
    4. Modern American Music...Period! The Criteria Sessions, an unearthed archival find of sessions from 1974 that demonstrate, before Weather Report, before his solo career, before Joni Mitchell and before everything else that came soon after, he was already well on his way in terms of having a mature voice;
    5. JACO: The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius, Deluxe Edition - expanded by about 100 pages, Bill Milkowski's 10th anniversary edition of his terrific Jaco biography was able to get deeper into some subjects, because the book was originally researched, written and published far too close to Jaco's death, and many in his family were simply not ready to talk. Ten years later they are, making this 10th anniversary edition the definitive one. You can read a chapter from Bill's book (Bill being a guy I've always looked up to as a writer) here.

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by jkelman; 06-06-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You can read my review of it, from when it was released last year, here, along with two other timely reminders of just how much we lost when Jaco passed at such a young age.

What was great was that, from the opening interview with Jerry Jemmott, where the Aretha Franklin (amongst others) bassist says, essentially, "you've changed the face of the electric bass, you've become a composer of significance....how do you feel about all that?"

Jaco, this is 1983, is not looking either healthy or happy, but Pastorius looks steeped in thought for a very brief moment before cracking a smile and saying "Gimme a gig, you know?"

The brilliance of this compared to the recent Miles bioflic is that this documentary didn't shy away from the truth; instead, JACO is about both celebration and tragedy...as it should be. It also has some of the most revealing studio footage I've ever seen, when Jaco is recording "Crisis," from Word of Mouth.

For those interested in more about Jaco, here are some reviews of books, releases, etc:

3. Jaco Pastorius - 60th Anniversary Collection. Japanese only release of all his Warner Bros. albums, including Word of Mouth, Twins I and Twins II (two live albums, from which the American single disc, Invitation, also in the set, was culled), The Birthday Concert (from his 30th birthday celebration) and a cd of previously unreleased Jaco solos (really, really good);
    4. Modern American Music...Period! The Criteria Sessions, an unearthed archival find of sessions from 1974 that demonstrate, before Weather Report, before his solo career, before Joni Mitchell and before everything else that came soon after, he was already well on his way in terms of having a mature voice;
    5. JACO: The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius, Deluxe Edition - expanded by about 100 pages, Bill Milkowski's 10th anniversary edition of his terrific Jaco biography was able to get deeper into some subjects, because the book was originally researched, written and published far too close to Jaco's death, and many in his family were simply not ready to talk. Ten years later they are, making this 10th anniversary edition the definitive one. You can read a chapter from Bill's book (Bill being a guy I've always looked up to as a writer) here.

Enjoy!!
    Thankx!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I know eventually I would have noticed it while dancing through Netflix, but thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

Watched it this morning and was shaking my head through the whole film (not negatively).

Listened to debut s/t album for the first time in forever after the film. I need to buy more Jaco.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jaco was a genius. Too bad he didn't get the treatment he needed for his manic depression and died the way he did, very sad. I'll check this out on Netflix, thanks.

Jaco was indeed a genius. This ^^^ I agree with 110%.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I know eventually I would have noticed it while dancing through Netflix, but thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

Watched it this morning and was shaking my head through the whole film (not negatively).

Listened to debut s/t album for the first time in forever after the film. I need to buy more Jaco.
    Buy Word of Mouth (after watching him record "Crisis"....), and then buy, from Japan, Twins I and Twins II. They were combined into a single disc over here called Invitation, which is fine but is missing some of the tracks. Modern American Music...Period! is important as it shows his genius long before he was even known beyond his relatively small circle. 30th Birthday is very good, but Modern American Music...Period! is essential; it blew my mind when I heard it....that he was so mature as a writer AND player, and at such a young age....

Banned
    Watched it - excellent. Many great snippets of performances, home movies, interviews etc. What a loss to music. a real light of creativity snuffed out by mental illness and good old Merrikun violence. Fucking tragic.

Banned

Enjoy!!
    Thanks, great review[emoji106]

Banned
    I did a search on LaserCD for Jaco and these $5 Weather Report CDs came up.
    CK57665Weather Report - 8:30 ($5 Blowout Price!)---$ 5.001$ 5.00
    CK65169Weather Report - Black Market ($5 Blowout Price!)---$ 5.00
    1$ 5.00
    CK48824Weather Report - Weather Report---$ 7.00

Banned
    I like the part near the end where Jaco talks about how Jazz folks don't get progressive jazz rock fusion. And the bassist for Metallica proclaims Jaco was punk rock. Without bounds, Jaco was. No wonder that like Jimi, Janis and Jim, Jaco could not be held back by this world[emoji29]

Enjoy!!
    Thank you John. It's weird because I watched the 2015 documentary before seeing the instructional video "Modern Electric Bass" with Jerry Jemmott. I was surprised to see how together he was during the Jemmott interview after seeing the heartbreaking snippet in the opening of the recent documentary. Obviously he had changed, but he was still able to teach/communicate very well. BTW I love this tune

Question: Did Joe Z. ever make good after being such a twat calling "Word of Mouth" big band high school crap? That must have crushed Jaco, especially in his mental condition.

The Enemy God
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Thank you John. It's weird because I watched the 2015 documentary before seeing the instructional video "Modern Electric Bass" with Jerry Jemmott. I was surprised to see how together he was during the Jemmott interview after seeing the heartbreaking snippet in the opening of the recent documentary. Obviously he had changed, but he was still able to teach/communicate very well. BTW I love this tune

I am glad Dreamland has been mentioned for me Jaco s greatest romantic statement even above A Remark You Made , a stunning gem

Jefferson James
    A very sad but wonderful documentary, really enlightening for me. I found it funny Jaco was somehow expected to become this big fusion artist like "Chuck Mannicotti". Ultimately, I was left with feelings of sadness and uselessness as far as playing bass goes. Man, this dude was transcendent when he was in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    A very sad but wonderful documentary, really enlightening for me. I found it funny Jaco was somehow expected to become this big fusion artist like "Chuck Mannicotti". Ultimately, I was left with feelings of sadness and uselessness as far as playing bass goes. Man, this dude was transcendent when he was in the moment.
    I hear ya! I just watched this last night. The guy was not human. I liked what Victor Wooten (I think) said about most of us getting hung up just playing the bass (or something like that) while Jaco transcended the instrument and played the music that was "in the air".
    <sig out of order>

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for the in-depth and amazing review John!! I picked up the DVD on ebay for $17, including shipping. There is a bonus disc that I assume is not on Netflix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    A very sad but wonderful documentary, really enlightening for me. I found it funny Jaco was somehow expected to become this big fusion artist like "Chuck Mannicotti".
    I found it funny that they were making fun of him because back in '77 I thought his hit tune and Birdland were pretty much mining the same territory.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth and amazing review John!! I picked up the DVD on ebay for $17, including shipping. There is a bonus disc that I assume is not on Netflix.
    I be.ieve that is correct....and thanks, as ever, for the kind words.nanything about Jaco really comes from the heart....his music meant a whole lot to me.