Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am fascinated and I am horrified

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    So... did that creep y'all out ?

Was it just a little bit 'funny' ??

You are in the "Uncanny Valley" , a deep crevice in the human mind, a true inner Twilight Zone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
    That may be part of it, but frankly, like Buddhabreath, I was more focused on the audience than the hologram. I can see watching something like this, I've seen holographic presentations before at museums, etc. They're fine, and in the right circumstance can be cool. What creeped me out was the reaction of the crowd, responding as if this projection could see them all waving those glow sticks in unison, and the audience responding to the hologram as if it were a living thing. It's just strange and weird to me. At least with DiaperMetal, or whatever, there are real people playing. Eliciting the same response from a hologram is extremely strange to me. Why are you clapping? Who do you think can hear you?

In fairness, I guess there are live musicians onstage with the hologram, but you can barely see them. It's the hologram people are clapping for. I hope the programmers were there to hear it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That may be part of it, but frankly, like Buddhabreath, I was more focused on the audience than the hologram. I can see watching something like this, I've seen holographic presentations before at museums, etc. They're fine, and in the right circumstance can be cool. What creeped me out was the reaction of the crowd, responding as if this projection could see them all waving those glow sticks in unison, and the audience responding to the hologram as if it were a living thing. It's just strange and weird to me. At least with DiaperMetal, or whatever, there are real people playing. Eliciting the same response from a hologram is extremely strange to me. Why are you clapping? Who do you think can hear you?

In fairness, I guess there are live musicians onstage with the hologram, but you can barely see them. It's the hologram people are clapping for. I hope the programmers were there to hear it.

Bill
    I suppose it just evokes the same emotions as an animated movie.

Isn't it the same with the Elvis Concerts, which I think tours with the original band and a hologram, or something simular?

Yes, I know those are real vocals, but Elvis isn't there tho get the aplause.

Its the way things are going. I wonder how soon it will be when computers will do almost everything for us and most of us won't know how to anything except be good consumers.

So now I have to throw holographic undies on stage.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Brought to you by the country where people marry pillows...

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I suppose it just evokes the same emotions as an animated movie.
    Sort of. I don't recall ever seeing the audience enacting semi-choreographed cheers at an animated movie, as if the movie could hear them. But then I haven't seen an animated movie in the theaters in ages, so what do I know?

Isn't it the same with the Elvis Concerts, which I think tours with the original band and a hologram, or something simular?

Yes, I know those are real vocals, but Elvis isn't there tho get the aplause.
    I had no idea anything like that existed. I think this is far closer to the idea of the hologram above than an animated movie. In some ways this is more explicable to me than watching and cheering for some anime hologram. At least with Elvis, maybe they're trying to reproduce a bit of the excitement of really seeing him live, which I guess has some value to some people. That's still very creepy to me, but not as creepy as the video above.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    In all fairness, it was a Japanese made pillow, but it was a Korean dude who married it. However, I see the analogy of creepiness, and largely agree with it.

Bill

In all fairness, it was a Japanese made pillow, but it was a Korean dude who married it. However, I see the analogy of creepiness, and largely agree with it.
    Was it only one guy who did that? I thought it happened, or used to happen, fairly often, but maybe not.

Was it only one guy who did that? I thought it happened, or used to happen, fairly often, but maybe not.
    I found no reference of it happening more than once with that one guy, but I didn't exactly do an exhaustive search. And now if my wife looks at my computer search log, I'm screwed!

I found no reference of it happening more than once with that one guy, but I didn't exactly do an exhaustive search. And now if my wife looks at my computer search log, I'm screwed!

"Why were you Googling "Love Pillow?"

Just tell your wife "It was going to be a gift for you!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is old news. Letterman had a Japanese holographic pop singer on his show about two or three years ago, I think it was.

Given the fact that audiences already accept pop singers who are known to lip synch onstage, I don't see how this is much different.

But I imagine death metal bands will still be required to render their cookie monster impressions live, though.

Also the country where they tried making a "serious commentary about atomic weapons" by dressing a stuntman in a rubber kaiju costume and have him stomp around a miniature landscape.

Ya know what I still think is the weirdest thing about Japan? In their erotica, they have to airbrush out all the pubic regions. They've got this crazy weird taboo about pubic hair, so no matter how "hardcore" or whatever the smut is, they've still always got the pubic regions pixelated, even if the girl is like giving the guy head or whatever.

=.
    Sort of. The TCB band (his 70's era band, or at least as many of them who were still around) were touring back in the 90's with a show where they accompanied videos of Elvis. They took video footage of Elvis performing in concert, project it on a screen behind the stage. They isolated Elvis' vocal track on the tape, so that's the only thing heard on playback, and the band plays along to the recording. I don't know how recently they've done this, but I knew a guy back in the AOL days who knew who a couple of the TCB band members, and he was telling me about how they had to construct a click track so the band could stay in sync with the video/recording, etc.

Dr. Brian May and Roger Taylor did something similar when I saw them about 10 years ago. When they did Bohemian Rhapsody, they and their backup musicians played along to a tape of Freddie singing for the first half of the song. Of course, the "opera" section was always on tape so that was nothing new, then when it comes back with the heavy rock section, Paul Rodgers came on and sang that part, ya know, "So you think you stop me and spit in my eye", etc, with the live band. Then when it came back to the reprise of the ballad section, it went back to the band accompanying the video.

I seem to recall awhile back, there was also a holographic thing done with Freddie Mercury "performing" at some festival in the UK, and at just about the same time, some dead rapper (probably Tupac or Fat Guy or whatever he called himself).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    some dead rapper (probably Tupac or Fat Guy
    That was Fat Bastard, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    most of us won't know how to anything except be good consumers.
    Seriously, don't you think we are already there? Zappa knew it way back when he wrote the lyrics for "I'm the Slime".

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

well a holographic classic Yes line up or Genesis line up is all we can hope for. Might accept it ---if it's done well. lol

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Even after the invention of cinema and television, there is still live theater. Even after the recording of music, there are still live concerts. This is just another kind of theater. Clearly part of the draw to such an event is the audience participation aspect - to be one of a coordinated whole, to share in the larger spectacle beyond merely observing, but not be a professional performer oneself. People have been doing that at churches, concerts, sporting events, and midnight showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show long before this.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

When I started the thread, I was aware of the Michael Jackson, Queen and Elvis posthumous film shows but what struck me more frightening about this was that this was a completely computer-generated construct and that the fans were connecting with something that had no human element, save whatever humanity the programmers were able to imbue in the hologram.

As I age, I am becoming more aware of the rise of machines replacing humans in many areas, but the thought of computers replacing humans in music is one that truly frightens me. I am quite looking forward to everyone having self-driving cars though.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    When I started the thread, I was aware of the Michael Jackson, Queen and Elvis posthumous film shows but what struck me more frightening about this was that this was a completely computer-generated construct and that the fans were connecting with something that had no human element, save whatever humanity the programmers were able to imbue in the hologram.

As I age, I am becoming more aware of the rise of machines replacing humans in many areas, but the thought of computers replacing humans in music is one that truly frightens me. I am quite looking forward to everyone having self-driving cars though.
    The music is still written by humans.

The music is still written by humans.
    ...for now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    As I age, I am becoming more aware of the rise of machines replacing humans in many areas, but the thought of computers replacing humans in music is one that truly frightens me.
    I am not fightened of that, because as Rarebird points out music still must be written (more or less) by humans.

Much scarier to me, is the ability now existing -- but unused by general agreement (temporary) -- to use dead actors in films (and TV) through motion capture and digital reconstruction. There's no reason James Dean, Marlon Brando and Natalie Wood couldn't star in the next Batman. We'll possibly see it in our lifetime.

Horrified? That's a very strong word to use for a hologram. Some of the things that horrify me are paedophilia, murder, famine, earthquakes, child abuse, tsunamis.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Horrified? That's a very strong word to use for a hologram. Some of the things that horrify me are paedophilia, murder, famine, earthquakes, child abuse, tsunamis.
    You're right - we can use this technology to resurrect some of our heroes, like David Bowie for example.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That was Fat Bastard, wasn't it?
    or do you mean Notorious Big??

Maybe Ice Cubes or Iced Tea? Or Eminems?