Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verdict on Blu-Ray?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Verdict on Blu-Ray?

So now that BDs have been around quite a while, for well-filmed live concerts and for movies do you think BDs look noticeably better than DVD? Is it worth the higher cost? Do you know if BDs cost more to make than DVDs? Is it worth buying just a BD concert for more than the cost of the DVD version if the DVD comes with CDs? Are 4k tvs a factor in BD picture quality vs DVD?

I've been buying BDs but am starting to think I'm paying more for not much reason.

They cost a LOT more money to author and to manufacture. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

They have more capacity than DVDs. Not every, in fact not very many, BDs take advantage of this additional capacity, which is a shame and a waste of the format. Super high definition movies (4k) are only possible on BD, and it's cool to get additional extras with a normal HD movie, like the director's cut, deleted scenes, "making of" documentaries, etc. But if the content is the same as on DVD, you're just throwing money away.

BDs also have the capacity to connect to BD-Live, allowing online content to supplement what's on the disc. Although much touted when BDs first came out, I can count on the fingers of two hands how many BDs I have that actually utilize this option.

And I can count on the fingers of one foot (i.e. none) how many BD-Live extras are worth a half a crap.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084855/
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They cost a LOT more money to author and to manufacture. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    They have more capacity than DVDs. Not every, in fact not very many, BDs take advantage of this additional capacity, which is a shame and a waste of the format. Super high definition movies (4k) are only possible on BD, and it's cool to get additional extras with a normal HD movie, like the director's cut, deleted scenes, "making of" documentaries, etc. But if the content is the same as on DVD, you're just throwing money away.

BDs also have the capacity to connect to BD-Live, allowing online content to supplement what's on the disc. Although much touted when BDs first came out, I can count on the fingers of two hands how many BDs I have that actually utilize this option.

And I can count on the fingers of one foot (i.e. none) how many BD-Live extras are worth a half a crap.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084855/
    Remember the CDs where the packaging would say Enhanced Content, and you were supposed to put it in your PC and it would take you to a website? That's so 90s!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Remember the CDs where the packaging would say Enhanced Content, and you were supposed to put it in your PC and it would take you to a website? That's so 90s!
    I remember buying the ELP King Biscuit double CD, and it had a bunch of extra stuff on it the second disc. There were some short clips I believe from the Manticore Special from the 70's and some cool photos of the band onstage. I remember I don't think I was actually able to access them the way you're supposed to, ie putting the disc and it was load the content like it was a normal program or something. I think I was only able to look at anything by going into Windows Explorer and looking at the individual files on their own.

not to get too far off topic, but the 'enhanced CD' of A Passion Play (from 2003) included The Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles video--made it totally worth it--or not!

Unless you have a super hi-def TV/Monitor, the visual difference between many DVDs and BluRays are pretty minimal. Soundwise, a typical DVD player that decodes DTS is very close to the HD Master Audio typical of most BluRay players.
    As was stated, BluRay offers a huge difference in capacity per disc.
    Honestly, I believe the surround sound music market might have been much more successful if it had started with BluRay and there had not been a format battle between DVD-Audio and SACD.
    With the music market as poor as it is today, 5.1 mixes will never be more than a niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Unless you have a super hi-def TV/Monitor, the visual difference between many DVDs and BluRays are pretty minimal. Soundwise, a typical DVD player that decodes DTS is very close to the HD Master Audio typical of most BluRay players.
    As was stated, BluRay offers a huge difference in capacity per disc.
    Honestly, I believe the surround sound music market might have been much more successful if it had started with BluRay and there had not been a format battle between DVD-Audio and SACD.
    With the music market as poor as it is today, 5.1 mixes will never be more than a niche market.
    Is it only us Progholes 5.1 is marketed to? What other genres have gone for the bait?

I have noticed that DVD's look poorer on a Blu Ray player than they do on just a regular DVD. That seems weird. Its something to do with the lighting, it makes the DVD look like it was filmed with the same lighting used on daytime soap operas. Kind of fakey. I'm not the only one who has noticed it. Its almost like they want the DVD's to look crappy, so you have to buy the Blu Ray version. Hell no, I'll just buy a $20 DVD player and watch DVD's on the DVD player and Blu Ray's I'll watch on the Blu Ray player,

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I have noticed that DVD's look poorer on a Blu Ray player than they do on just a regular DVD. That seems weird. Its something to do with the lighting, it makes the DVD look like it was filmed with the same lighting used on daytime soap operas. Kind of fakey. I'm not the only one who has noticed it. Its almost like they want the DVD's to look crappy, so you have to buy the Blu Ray version. Hell no, I'll just buy a $20 DVD player and watch DVD's on the DVD player and Blu Ray's I'll watch on the Blu Ray player,
    Your experience is not universal. In fact I'd say it's an aberration. Your player might be at fault.

Sounds like the resolution might need to be adjusted.

Depends on the mastering. Well mastered Blu Rays absolutely exceed DVDs...Criterion Collection,moor example.

Most films are, on a good tv, better in BR than DVD. In my case I've a curved 4K tv that des upsampling, so BR looks way better up sampled (because there's less difference) than from DVDs, which look pretty grainy. You can tell the upsampling on BR close up, but from seated position, rarely.

Still, no one?

81-An5-sK2L._SX342_.jpg

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I was just about to post that!

Nice!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Great minds think alike,
    but so do we.

And, just exactly where does one go to adjust resolution? TV? Sorry, but other stuff appears just fine with the TV - perhaps a bigger TV would help? this is a 65" - I would be happy to go to the 78" - if thats what it takes!

And, just exactly where does one go to adjust resolution? TV? Sorry, but other stuff appears just fine with the TV - perhaps a bigger TV would help? this is a 65" - I would be happy to go to the 78" - if thats what it takes!
    Most TVs have calibration, which I don't believe adjusts resolution. But the bottom line is size of screen matters not; resolution of the files being sent to it do...and whether or not the TV can handle that resolution (or higher).

We have a 55" TV in our living room and it is wonderful, whether watching Blu Rays or watching 4K movies on Ultraflix.

Do DVDs look worse on your Blu Ray or, at the same time, did you upgrade your TV? reason I ask is you say you've got a 65". Is that a High Def TV, or an Ultra High Def (4K)? If 4K, that would explain why your DVDs look worse on your Blu Ray - it has nothing to do with your player and everything to do with your TV.

Is it only us Progholes 5.1 is marketed to? What other genres have gone for the bait?
    Classical also drank the 5.1 cool aide. Although, they don't do surround effects like prog bands do. They mainly try to recreate the effect of sitting in a concert hall in the rear channels.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Still, no one?
    See post #3, link

for well-filmed live concerts and for movies do you think BDs look noticeably better than DVD?
    Yes, they look much better in my experience.

Christ, we have a 42"!

Maybe it's not called resolution. I know if you monkey around with the settings (yes, on the TV) you can get that "shot on video look, " and you can get rid of it too.

I've found that the motion acceleration setting, intended for bringing clarity to fast-paced sports, tends to make movies look bad.

I just bought 2 ultra hi def (4k) disks (I think they've dropped the "Blu-ray" moniker) to "future proof" myself a bit as I still do not own a 4k tv, 4k compatible HDMI cables and 4k compatible receiver. These disks also contain the normal Blu-ray and Digital HD (for iPad) disks as well so I can watch them now.

This thread is so 9 years ago.