Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verdict on Blu-Ray?

I think everything looks cartoonish in HD, Blue-ray. I want my tube TV back.

Well, I'm going to run two players - one for DVD and one for Blue Ray - it really is an issue for me. I watched the first Harry Potter both ways (DVD and Blue Ray) and the DVD plays it better - It looks natural. On the Blue ray, you can see where the CGI comes in. I dont know why, but the Blue Ray is quite a bit worse. I never thought it would be that way. I figure it should play the DVD with at least the same resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Tube TVs are warmer. Especially after a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    On the Blue ray, you can see where the CGI comes in. I figure it should play the DVD with at least the same resolution.
    Possibly the greater resolution of BD allows you to see the sloppy editing. Could be a mixed blessing on some movies.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Seriously though, I've found most TVs come from the factory with the contrast, saturation and brightness turned up too high. "Cartoonish" is a good description, or "hyper-real." They can be scaled back to look natural, with a little tinkering.

Not having an expensive, high end TV, I don't notice any difference. But it's so cool to watch it in Blu Ray!

Off the subject a bit, last night at Best Buy I saw a Samsung 78" curved quantum dot TV on display. It was astonishing.

It was also $10,000.