Thread: Airbag: A Rare Perfect Pastiche

Airbag: A Rare Perfect Pastiche

For all the Prog bands that are said to imitate the sound of another band, there are few that get it absolutely right. Even all the Genesis "imitators" sound nothing like them -- at least to me. Certainly in their cases, the songwriting is what lacks. You can imitate all the instrument tones you want and even imitate the style of playing, but getting the songwriting correct is a whole other thing.

Airbag is an exception. They create new music that is a near-perfect pastiche of Signify-era Porcupine Tree. It's quite uncanny and good. I find myself liking every one of Airbag's albums even though the logical part of my brain tells me that it's imitative. My emotional side doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I find myself liking every one of Airbag's albums even though the logical part of my brain tells me that it's imitative. My emotional side doesn't care.
    Hence my signature quote from Nietzsche...

I agree with here. I'm a fan of Airbag's previous work and look forward to hearing the new album. The single "Killer" is an unchallenging but infectious tune reminiscent of PT, Wish You Were Here-era Pink Floyd and Marbles-era Marillion. Sometimes, cherry picking the best references and getting them right just works at the level music engages us.

There's a PT imitation band called "Airbag?" That's hilarious, considering that PT for awhile was accused of ripping off Radiohead.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    There's a PT imitation band called "Airbag?" That's hilarious, considering that PT for awhile was accused of ripping off Radiohead.
    Except that Radiohead wouldn't know a catchy melody if their lives depended on it.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Except that Radiohead wouldn't know a catchy melody if their lives depended on it.
    I can't speak for their most recent material but I take it that you have not heard either the Bends or OK Computer then? Stacked with very strong tunes....

I always thought Airbag was most derivative of Pink Floyd. The guitarist is quite the Gilmour clone. That said, they make some brilliant music, although I wish they'd vary it up a little. The new album, Disconnected, sounds great but it doesn't move the ball forward much.