Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Agitation Free - 2nd

FEATURED CD: Agitation Free - 2nd

Today's feature is the 1973 sophomore release from German proggers Agitation Free.

Review from ProgArchives:
    In some ways, Second is the logical successor to Malesh with its twin guitar "attack"; these two (Schwenke is replaced by Dietz following drugs problems) are so mellow that it seems a shame to call them an attack. But the name "attack" is now apt for the drumming since the group enlisted a second drummer (ex-ART Burmeister), thus giving an exacting edge that only the Allman Bros Band had before. Losing the second drummer just prior to recording their aptly-titled Second, AF retained all of the inertia and the album has a fantastic ABB fluidness wherever necessary. Graced with a drought, than rain season artwork, this second album lost all ethnic touches of Malesh, one passage excepted, proof that their debut's rep was indeed overdone.

Starting on the First Communications, you can hear the Floydian cosmic/psych influences of Malesh will also be relatively absent as well. Dialogue & Random is an electronic free jazz improve leading into the two-part Leila, which is strongly reminiscent of the ABB's Elizabeth Reed and fades into Silence Of The Morning sunrise with electronic birds chirping along to tranquil electric guitars gliding along the organ mist layers. Superb music. The birds lead you to a slow Quiet Walk into a cosmic dark hole (Tangerine Dream's Zeit is not far away here) if it wasn't for an electric Indian-laced guitar (the only real ethnic moment of this album), before stretching itself out maybe a tad too long. The closing Haunted Island is the only sung track of the album, filtered, almost recitative over a superb mellotron, and once over, the two guitars take over and soar in the sky for a grandiose finale.

Although AF's second album holds some fairly different influences, trading in the Arabian and cosmic /psych Floyd ambiance, for a more pastoral west coast sound, both albums can be regarded as AF's crowning achievements, although neither reaches perfection. - Sean Trane

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I like the original run of this band very much, but my favorites stuff is the live materials released as Last and as an archival disc on GOD.
    But they are all great. Der kosmiche Grateful Dead.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Only have Malesch, need to explore further.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Great album, but also my least favorite of their classic period!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I like Malesch very much, but this one is actually *way* better, IMHO.

Steve's description of them as the 'kosmische Dead' is spot on; Agitation Free's equivalent to the GD equalled that of Amon Düül II to the Airplane, I think. Then who were the 'kosmische Quicksilver' - early Ash Ra Tempel, maybe?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I prefer the live ones as well, in particular "Last" which would be my favourite release by them but also "At The Cliffs Of The River Rhine" and even the latest from 2011? recorded live in Japan. These guys are the definition of trippy.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Masterpiece!

In fact, ideal music for the minor heatwave we are having here in Scotland......time to crank it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Great album, but also my least favorite of their classic period!
    I'd almost agree with Steve, but I like Last & Malesch equally, but far behind Second and the GOD Live At The Cliffs Of Rhine (almost the same stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I prefer the live ones as well, in particular "Last" which would be my favourite release by them but also "At The Cliffs Of The River Rhine" and even the latest from 2011? recorded live in Japan. These guys are the definition of trippy.
    If you must only own one...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Love this band but never really thought of the Allman Bros when listening to them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The only ting I've ever heard from this At The Cliffs Of The River Rhine.. Pretty good disc, I've just never got around to hearing any of the earlier things.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I spin At the Cliffs of the River Rhine most often. (The CD issue I have titled it Live '74.) But everything from their original run is great. Kosmich Dead? Sure, it is some really chill Krautrock goodness, and that chill vibe does put me in mind of the Dead on occasion.
    Last edited by notallwhowander; 06-06-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

If only one by these guys, this is it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I like Malesch very much, but this one is actually *way* better, IMHO.
    I like both equally for different reasons... but if I was forced to choose just one, 2nd would be the one
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Then who were the 'kosmische Quicksilver' - early Ash Ra Tempel, maybe?
    Maybe Guru Guru, what with their common Bo Diddley influence?

I adore the oriental edged sound of Malesch and it's my preferred album of theirs, but I think that their teutonic take on West-Coast acid rock of Second, is also unique.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Yet another band i've not heard anything by, until this thread.This is PE at its best, hipping me to music heretofore unknown to me.

I dig some of the live AF clips (YT) i've heard over the last 24 hours.Ordered Live '74.
    Last edited by walt; 06-06-2016 at 08:57 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yet another band i've not heard anything by, until this thread.This is PE at its best, for me; hipping me to music heretofore unknown to me.

I dig some of the live AF clips (YT) i've heard over the last 24 hours.Ordered Live '74.
    Absolutely, it's the power of a personal recommendation. I've been here a long time, and I'm still getting excellent recs for stuff I've never heard of before.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Count me as another one completely unaware of this band. Must investigate.
    The Prog Corner

Great album! When I was recently introducing myself to krautrock, with the help of the fine folks from PE, this one was highly recommended; and deservedly so!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Love the sophomore album. Could do without the sophomoronic album cover.

Banned
    Great band for both Krautrock and space/jam fans. An absolute do not miss IMO. At times their jams remind me of a Teutonic version of the best aspects of the Grateful Dead plus the electronics wizardry of Michael Hoenig. Primo stuff indeed.

Probably At the Cliffs of the River Rhine starts off with my favorite (live) jam.

A very spooky video...

Picked up all their releases in the past 8 years and it pains to think I had the chance to see them while I was in High School .I was in Beirut Lebanon in the early seventies when they did a tour of the Middle East sponsored by some German Cultural Agency ? I saw a handbill about the show but never heard of them am
    Me dint go.It would have been my first concert.

^ Yes, I believe they went with Embryo (or at least on some related bill). Those are some *legendary* events, so I can certainly concede with your frustration at missing out.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM