Thread: For those who don't have big ass home theater systems..

For those who don't have big ass home theater systems..

where do you put your TV and store your DVD's?
    i have this big cumbersome entertainment center (stand up wall unit) that takes up a lot of space and is very heavy to move that i really don't need anymore. when i first got it 20 yrs ago, i had an old style stereo system - receiver, CD player, tape deck - all separate units connected with cables (RWY i think). don't have that anymore. i moved on to one of those self-contained micro stereo systems which i eventually gave away and probably can't replace now since they don't make them anymore. so now i'm left with this big ass wall unit which i only use to place my TV, cable box and blu-ray player on.
    anyway i'm in the process of buying a condo so now i want to reconfigure my setup with much more space efficient furniture for the new place and i was looking for some ideas. maybe a simple TV console that you place the TV and cable box on top of and which has a storage area below specifically designed for storing DVD/CD's. i also like the idea of using an attachable wall unit to store my DVD's. that way it's off the floor.
    any ideas would be appreciated.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Banned

for those who don't have big ass home theater systems..

I have an inexpensive metal frame TV stand:

Excuse the mess.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'll soon be setting up two tvs - they'll both be wall mounted, and below I plan to have something that'll hold CDs and the few components I expect to have will just be on top of it. I hope to have only a receiver and DVD player, maybe a center speaker. I'm hoping to cut the cord and have no DVR, but my wife's Outlander addiction is problematic.

There'll also be a couple of bookcases to hold box sets and other nicely packaged CDs/DVDs for easy fondling.

Here's a question: for those with surround setups with a wall mounted TV , where do you place the center speaker? On a console? Mounted on the wall below the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    so are these soundbars, receivers? how would you use one? i know i'm a bit behind the tech these days - i listen to music via my iPod plugged into an old boombox with not the best sound. that's my stereo.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    so are these soundbars, receivers? how would you use one? i know i'm a bit behind the tech these days - i listen to music via my iPod plugged into an old boombox with not the best sound. that's my stereo.
    Soundbars 👎🏿

What Frith has is pretty ideal. I like keeping my set up simple too. My previous house was similar. A lot of people bought those stand up wall units back when, and now you see them all the time in garage sales since TVs have changed. I have some Peach crates I bought a long time ago that have my vinyl in them, I put a particle board on top, and just put my TV on top of them. Next to it I had a stereo system set up, and could play music or run the TV thru that system.

Normal TV (no flat screen yet) with a DVD/VHS player and recorder just below, and the whole thing is sitting on an end table.

I only have musical DVDs and VHS, and maximum 50 to 70 of them.

Given that I do use the DVD for music purposes, I am considering to upgrade to a bigger flatscreen and maybe specific speakers , but it's not like I will get a home cinema installation
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Normal TV (no flat screen yet) with a DVD/VHS player and recorder just below, and the whole thing is sitting on an end table.

I only have musical DVDs and VHS, and maximum 50 to 70 of them.

Given that I do use the DVD for music purposes, I am considering to upgrade to a bigger flatscreen and maybe specific speakers , but it's not like I will get a home cinema installation
    Wow, that's pretty old school. That TV must be old! Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's like being into vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, that's pretty old school. That TV must be old! Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's like being into vinyl.
    touché

actually, I bought it not that long ago, in the last days of cathodic tube TVs and they were doing 50% off. Furthermore Cathodic TVs last some 20 years, and you're lucky if Plasma, or LED last half that long

I just don't watch much TV, as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

We live in an older house (1890) with smaller rooms, so we have fairly limited space. The photos below show how we have our stereo set up:

IMG_0324.jpgIMG_0325.jpg

We sit on the couch, which is to the left of the coffee table in the second photo, so we have a direct view of the TV and it's a pretty optimal spot for the speakers. We can also hear the stereo perfectly when we open the front windows that are behind the two chairs in the second photo and sit on the porch. The speakers are B&W with an NAD amplifier and an older flat screen Panasonic TV and SONY DVD/CD player.

Around the corner, we set up our CD shelves in the entry hall of the house, as we had no real room in the living room. This setup has worked well for us.

IMG_0326.JPG

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The speakers are B&W with an NAD amplifier and an older flat screen Panasonic TV and SONY DVD/CD player.

Bill
    tht's what I got in my North Holland pad (with a NAD CD deck)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    touché
    actually, I bought it not that long ago, in the last days of cathodic tube TVs and they were doing 50% off. Furthermore Cathodic TVs last some 20 years, and you're lucky if Plasma, or LED last half that long

I just don't watch much TV, as well
    I think the flat screens last pretty long. But it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    We live in an older house (1890) with smaller rooms, so we have fairly limited space. The photos below show how we have our stereo set up:

IMG_0324.jpgIMG_0325.jpg

We sit on the couch, which is to the left of the coffee table in the second photo, so we have a direct view of the TV and it's a pretty optimal spot for the speakers. We can also hear the stereo perfectly when we open the front windows that are behind the two chairs in the second photo and sit on the porch. The speakers are B&W with an NAD amplifier and an older flat screen Panasonic TV and SONY DVD/CD player.

Around the corner, we set up our CD shelves in the entry hall of the house, as we had no real room in the living room. This setup has worked well for us.

IMG_0326.JPG

Bill
    Where do you keep the bowl of hard candy?

Banned
    I think the flat screens last pretty long. But it's all good.
    LCD yes, OLED and plasma not that long, however by the time they wear out you will have a different display.

Where do you keep the bowl of hard candy?
    Well, in theory, the bowl of hard candy would be on the coffee table. But as you can see, the bowl on our coffee table is full of cat toys. So, you can either come over to our house and suck on cat toys, forego the hard candy, or not come at all.

Bill

Get a carpenter or contractor that you trust. Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy your flat screen for years to come.

DVD and CD storage? either go cheap, like IKEA, or try something like Boltz.

My wife got this humongous stand to go under our TV. I don't like it but I don't have much choice in the matter.

P1010071.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wouldn't consider my home theater "big ass", although I'm sure there are some here that would. My DVDs, Blu-Rays and Surround Music discs are on some shelves in the corner to the right of my right speaker. I have one of those double-tier glass tables for my 40" flat screen (again, not considered "big ass", and other equipment.I have my turntable and vinyl on an old 70s-80s style stereo stand behind the left speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Get a carpenter or contractor that you trust. Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy your flat screen for years to come.

DVD and CD storage? either go cheap, like IKEA, or try something like Boltz.

My wife got this humongous stand to go under our TV. I don't like it but I don't have much choice in the matter.

P1010071.jpg
    It looks fine, especially the decorative plates on the wall. You should totally take those down when she's out and replace them with a nice prog poster!

I do home remodeling etc. and often end up with the old TV's. 100 pound antique flatscreens, etc. I usually find new homes for them (free!)
    Latest addition - from the year 2000 : a Sony 65 in. Projection TV ! What a monster ! And ... it actually works ! I hope it lasts at least 6 months...

We have a longer/shoebox shaped living room with the plasma on a reticulated mount (near one corner) that swings for viewing either in the living room - or into the kitchen/dining room area. When oriented in the living room - it points directly into the opposite corner, with couches flanking the same opposite corner . . . good viewing for everyone on both the big couch and love seat.

I built a 5.1 system around that orientation - and it sounds really nice once I balanced out the channel levels based on the distances and sweet spot. It can get thunderously loud and crystal clear -

It's not a perfect setup - but works well given our space & family.

In addition . . .

Upstairs in my music studio I have a pair of Yamaha HS8's on an elevated platform built into the custom production desk - - - the monitor lives between them.

I watch a lot of instructional videos and movies (for soundtrack analysis) on this system and as you can imagine - the sound is just fucking staggeringly good . . .

JK