Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP Muhammed Ali

RIP Muhammed Ali

The Greatest has passed, for those that were around in the 60s and 70s there was no athlete larger than Ali. Once he retired boxing was never the same.

He will be missed

(And yes I know it is spelled Muhammad)

I rank him right up there with MLK and others. He took a stand when black folks were just beginning to take a stand, he was probably the greatest boxer of all-time and in his private life he was a tireless humanitarian. He will be missed and deserves every accolade bestowed upon him.

One of the greatest boxers of all time, and a cultural icon. Both of his time and for all times.
    I'm not a fan of all that was Ali, but there's no denying that he was a giant.

He was born under the name of Clay
    A boxer he sure knew how to play
    He would shout "I am The Greatest"
    And indeed he was the bestest
    We say RIP to him today

RIP Muhammed Ali

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    The Greatest has passed, for those that were around in the 60s and 70s there was no athlete larger than Ali. Once he retired boxing was never the same.

He will be missed

Could not have said it better.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    RIP Muhammed Ali a real icon of the 20th Century.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Banned
    RIP

This here's the story of Cassius Clay
    Who changed his name to Muhammad Ali
    He knows how to talk and he knows how to fight
    And all the contenders were beat out of sight

Sing, Muhammad, Muhammad Ali
    He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee
    Mohammed, the black superman
    Who calls to the other guy I'm Ali catch me if you can

Now all you fight fans, you've got to agree
    There ain't no flies on Muhammad Ali
    He fills the arena wherever he goes
    And everyone gets what they paid for

Muhammad, was known to have said
    You watch me shuffle and I'll jab off your head
    He moves like the black superman
    And calls to the other guy I'm Ali catch me if you can

He says I'm the greatest the worlds ever seen
    The heavyweight champion who came back again
    My face is so pretty you don't see a scar
    Which proves I'm the king of the ring by far

Mohammed, the black superman

Muhammad, the black superman

I'm Ali catch me if you can

Edited ....

alibeatles.jpg

RIP anyways
    Last edited by Trane; 06-04-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just woke to this news....sad.

Always controversial and riveting....sad to see him suffering from Parkinson's.

A true talent and humanitarian.

RIP Ali

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post

He will be missed

Could not have said it better.

x2. Ali had it all. Genuine athlete , riveting entertaining personality. I very rairly admire pro athletes, Ali was an exception. Sad news indeed, RIP . If there is an afterlife he's taunting Cosell at this very moment.

RIP. I always loved rooting against him during his glory days, but I loved seeing him embarrass George Foreman that time. He was a great humanitarian, (God, Allah, However) bless him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I thought Cassius was an idiot

I know Muhammad was an idiot
    [
    Nice tribute.

Back in I think 1975 the Daily News included an Ali iron-on in the paper - this was when the Ali song was a hit. I ironed it on to a handkerchief, and I still have it around somewhere.

I'm not really in favor of boxing, but I admired his anti-war efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I thought Cassius was an idiot

I know Muhammad was an idiot

RIP anyways
    WHY do you (and it certainly isn't ONLY you) feel the need to comment negatively in rest in peace threads?

No matter how poorly you feel about the deceased, the only person who these kind of posts reflects (very) badly on is the person who couldn't keep their polite silence about someone who has just died and is being appreciated by others.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

RIP Muhammed. A complex, contradictory, and principled man who took on life on his terms and no one else's.

My father-in-law, a WWII vet and a huge boxing fan, hated him and considered Ali a draft dodger. He didn't grasp the suspicious activity of the Louisville draft board but then again, that really wasn't that well reported. Anyway, during the rise of Mike Tyson, I asked him to rank the heavyweights. I knew there was an elephant in the room and was curious to see how the old man dealt with it. He worked through a long list like he had long envisioned this tournament in his mind. Who would beat who, in what round, even who he thought would take Tyson. I think he ended with Rocky Marciano winning the last bout. Then he paused and scowled. "And Rocky would get knocked out in the seventh by that sonovabitch Ali!" Then he just shook his head.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    WHY do you (and it certainly isn't ONLY you) feel the need to comment negatively in rest in peace threads?

No matter how poorly you feel about the deceased, the only person who these kind of posts reflects (very) badly on is the person who couldn't keep their polite silence about someone who has just died and is being appreciated by others.
    Thank you. Trane's a funny guy and he's always been alright with me, but that was uncalled for. I could see if some famous scumbag, rapist, serial killer died, I'd expect negative, insulting comments (because the scumbag deserves it), but Muhammad Ali doesn't deserve that. Like I said earlier, he was fun to hate in the 60s and early 70s because he pretty much invented the trash talking, arrogant, athlete, but as he aged he got more of my respect, and especially after he retired. He was a better man than me.

^^^^

He was willing to go to jail for his heart felt conviction, and not whine about it.

I'd like to think I could do that, but I really doubt it....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm not a fan of all that was Ali, but there's no denying that he was a giant.
    Yep, same here. I never liked the act, but it certainly worked. And his talent was undeniable. I did always feel that the rope-a-dope method, while effective, was a bit of a joke.

As I grew older, I respected his activism.

RIP.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hugues, I love you man, but c'mon!

Ali, whether you enjoyed his braggadocio and his "poems", in retrospect, was almost as important as MLK to the civil rights movement.

Much of his bullshit was simply to get "Mister Charlie" up to speed with the reality of the 1960s & 70s, and he sure as hell got "Charlie's" attention, didn't he?

RIP to imho, not just an athlete, but a cultural icon and strongly principled man.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I grew to really like and respect Ali , he was a true original. RIP Muhammad !

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm of the same opinion on both counts. And Ali was the only boxer who was interesting from the neck up. He had a lot of courage, and he looked evil in the face and stood his ground. I applaud him for refusing to be complicit in the war machine and murder Vietnamese citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Ali, whether you enjoyed his braggadocio and his "poems", in retrospect, was almost as important as MLK to the civil rights movement.

Much of his bullshit was simply to get "Mister Charlie" up to speed with the reality of the 1960s & 70s, and he sure as hell got "Charlie's" attention, didn't he?

RIP to imho, not just an athlete, but a cultural icon and strongly principled man.
    This. Thank you.

See you in a hot field in September, Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    He was a great hero to me as a little boy.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

That sums it up perfectly. Ali actually lived in the town of Berrian Springs just down the road from me here in Southwest Michigan for many years. He was always doing great things for the community even with his steadily declining health.

Well, I've always felt it was totally religious hypocrisy to only speak of the good about the guy going back to dust and shunning the bad sides.

And my not keeping the silence as a nay-sayer is about as legit as expressing sympathies.

A little counter-advice can spark-up interesting debates, not just posting the "pros", but the "cons" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Thank you. Trane's a funny guy and he's always been alright with me, but that was uncalled for. I could see if some famous scumbag, rapist, serial killer died, I'd expect negative, insulting comments (because the scumbag deserves it), but Muhammad Ali doesn't deserve that. Like I said earlier, he was fun to hate in the 60s and early 70s because he pretty much invented the trash talking, arrogant, athlete, but as he aged he got more of my respect, and especially after he retired. He was a better man than me.
    Game set & match (thank you)

Whether Cassius deserved my comment or not is totally debatable...

Not only was his arrogance clownish (I mean in some ways, it was funny), but he encouraged and inspired the "NWA" phenomenon in the 90's, didn't he? (don't get me wrong, I even can appreciate somewhat Dre, Icecube and consorts musics & texts >> I think Ice Cube is great on Ken Singleton movies)

Peronally, I think most of his positive results he "created" were more unintentional... Cassius/Ali was always about HIM and his "big" person.... IMHO anyways

^^^^
    He was willing to go to jail for his heart felt conviction, and not whine about it.

I'd like to think I could do that, but I really doubt it....
    Actually he does have my respect for that (if his jail term is about not going to Nam)... Though I can definitely understand and respect the "draft & Nam dodgers" that migrated above the 49th.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've always doubted someone practicing boxing by someone calling himself a pacifist. I mean, am I the only here seeing any kind of violent martial sport (this excludes Judo and Aikido, where self-defence is the goal) where the point is to inflict damage on the other guy until he drops for the count is anything but violent and un-peacific??

Count me as one of those who always thought boxing was anything but noble, beit on the ring or the hagglings around it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeogGeezer

Surely you jet my friend... (I may not be aware of his "poems", though)

When he went "Islam", it was as a reject of the "whitey" 's god. (remember, I'm an atheist - almost a radical one).. CC/MA distanced himself from Malcolm X .... which is somewhat understandable, since MX's radicalism inspired the Black Panthers... and I tend to respect the BP as much as MLK

====================

Ok, I'm sure I'll get more reactions to my first and second posts, but I'm not sure I want to be seen as "pooping" on this thread any further by answering them, though.

I'll wait for the Admins to chime in, cos I don't want to spark feuds (my first post was probably very clumsy >> it was early morning when I heard about it)

BTW, I did say RIP (that's still a mark of respect)... and I meant it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.